Trailers, Toy Haulers, Motorhomes. Discuss Trailering, Toy Haulers, Campers and Motorhomes.

Carrying Two ATVs on a 5x10 utility trailer with sides?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2016, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carrying Two ATVs on a 5x10 utility trailer with sides?

I currently use my 5x10 Big Tex utility trailer with the tube rails. It holds my Rubicon just fine, but I am in the market for a second ATV and am not necessarily wanting to buy another trailer. I've seen people carry them sideways, but some of the setups look less than stellar. Are there any kits, methods, techniques that will allow me to haul two full size ATVs sideways on top of the tube rails? Wooden planks? Etc.

Also, what would then be the best way to secure the bike to keep it from both flying out sideways, or forward/backward?

Thank you!

Old 01-15-2016, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

I would guess that planks across the rails would be the cheapest way to go. If the planks are wider than the tires you could put 2x6's on the sides of the plank to form a U-channel shaped plank that would provide security to keep the quads from sliding forward or back. Personally, I would drill at least two holes at each point the planks rest on the tubes, and then drill through the planks. Get some good quality bolts and nylock nuts to keep them in place. By doing planks you can put a eye bolt in the middle between the planks into the tubes. Another thought would be to add a 6" block of wood behind the rear tires and in front of the fronts for a little more added security.

You would have a good usable space under the planks in the trailer for other gear, spare tires, etc.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:39 AM
Super Quad Patrol
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Only issue with using planks is how are you going to safely attach ramps? I would make up some frames out of square tubing and use a few bolts to hold them into place. then you could also put holders on them for a fence/ramps to hold your machines from rolling back and forth.

Old 01-17-2016, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default What kind of Ofher Atv are you getting ?

Originally Posted by Agar426
I currently use my 5x10 Big Tex utility trailer with the tube rails. It holds my Rubicon just fine, but I am in the market for a second ATV and am not necessarily wanting to buy another trailer. I've seen people carry them sideways, but some of the setups look less than stellar. Are there any kits, methods, techniques that will allow me to haul two full size ATVs sideways on top of the tube rails? Wooden planks? Etc.

Also, what would then be the best way to secure the bike to keep it from both flying out sideways, or forward/backward?

Thank you!
I'm curious what size new Atv you want? I am in the market for a trailer and want one that I can fit both my Brute 750 and my brute 300 on. I saw some that have a ramp on the front side also so you can roll it right up in sideways and the the back drive the other right in.
If a 5x10 would work I would buy one of those too. I have thought I needed at least a 12' because the 750 is 61/2-7' long (total length . )
Maybe put the larger one in sideways and the smaller one in normal? Is that your thinking ? The only issue of it 5' wide that may not work either..

Thanks

Old 01-17-2016, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Kev16
I'm curious what size new Atv you want? I am in the market for a trailer and want one that I can fit both my Brute 750 and my brute 300 on. I saw some that have a ramp on the front side also so you can roll it right up in sideways and the the back drive the other right in.
If a 5x10 would work I would buy one of those too. I have thought I needed at least a 12' because the 750 is 61/2-7' long (total length . )
Maybe put the larger one in sideways and the smaller one in normal? Is that your thinking ?

Thanks
I'm looking at another full size ATV, leaning toward the Outlander Max.

Old 01-17-2016, 12:58 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure there are ways you can kinda make it work but honestly the best bet is to sell the 5x10 trailer and get something bigger. I had a trailer many years ago that was a 5x14, that's the perfect size to fit 2 quads front to back without having to slide the rear end around to make them fit. Buying a different trailer isn't going to be the cheapest way to go but trying to fit 2 full size quads on a 5x10 trailer just isn't going to safely happen. Especially if you're looking to buy a 2 up like an Outlander Max, that's almost big enough to take up the whole 5x10 trailer by itself. I've seen some utility trailers that have side load for the front and you can load the 2nd one from the rear. A lot easier than wrestling a 650 lb quad by the rear rack to get it to fit sideways. The smaller quad should be in front to lower the tongue weight and the heavier quad should be at the rear. So in the case of a Brute Force 750 and 300, put the 300 in sideways at the front and the 750 behind it. The 300 is much lighter and easier to slide the rear end around and puts less weight on the tongue.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Great advice

Originally Posted by greg74
I'm sure there are ways you can kinda make it work but honestly the best bet is to sell the 5x10 trailer and get something bigger. I had a trailer many years ago that was a 5x14, that's the perfect size to fit 2 quads front to back without having to slide the rear end around to make them fit. Buying a different trailer isn't going to be the cheapest way to go but trying to fit 2 full size quads on a 5x10 trailer just isn't going to safely happen. Especially if you're looking to buy a 2 up like an Outlander Max, that's almost big enough to take up the whole 5x10 trailer by itself. I've seen some utility trailers that have side load for the front and you can load the 2nd one from the rear. A lot easier than wrestling a 650 lb quad by the rear rack to get it to fit sideways. The smaller quad should be in front to lower the tongue weight and the heavier quad should be at the rear. So in the case of a Brute Force 750 and 300, put the 300 in sideways at the front and the 750 behind it. The 300 is much lighter and easier to slide the rear end around and puts less weight on the tongue.

Thank you for that input! I have to agree . I am going to keep searching for a deal on a 14' trailer . Someone offered me a 16' but wanted $3000 for it and later I would love to have a enclosed one , that's when I would spend that much. I will keeping checking craigslist !!

Thanks again

Old 01-17-2016, 01:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by Agar426
I'm looking at another full size ATV, leaning toward the Outlander Max.
nice ! That outlander is a nice bike. I agree with Greg now that I think about it . If t is possible to sell your current trailer and get a larger one I would do that . If not maybe try and make it work until you can .
I am in the same boat with needed to buy a trailer but I don't want to sink a lot of money into it . Mainly because I want a enclosed trailer later and that's where I will put the money into ..

Old 01-17-2016, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thank you for all of the input! Yeah, I figured a bigger trailer would be the real solution. That means a 16 footer if I load end to end. One of the reasons I was hoping not to have to get another trailer is because I eventually want to get a car hauler to tow my Jeep. But, the right tool for the right job seems to be the safe bet.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:11 PM
Pro Rider

You'll need a 6' wide trailer to get one on safely going sideways. I thought of doing similar to what you want to do with my brother-in-law's 5x7 but measuring my wheelbase it wouldn't have fit between the rails.

Quick Reply: Carrying Two ATVs on a 5x10 utility trailer with sides?