Trucks and Towing, All Makes and Models. Discussion on all makes and models of trucks and towing.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time For A New Truck...Suggestions Anyone

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 09:26 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Time For A New Truck...Suggestions Anyone

Remember those 300 straight 6 they use to put in the f -150s ,they would go over 300K and not even burn oil.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider
Default Time For A New Truck...Suggestions Anyone

Yes I sure do remember them, I had an 89 that had 340K on it and had never had a gasket broken on the engine. I didn't have an abundance of power but you could depend on it no matter what.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

Buy the Dodge Cumins Turbo........

Nuff Said.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:37 PM
Pro Rider

[quote=BEER SEASON;2734763]Besides I'm really on a roll now anyway for the American Companies. I am putting my Yamaha Wolverine and Can-Am Renegade up for sale to go buy somthing made by Polaris./quote]

Nice! Chevy / Polaris here. I love my Silverado. It's a super nice truck. I drove the Ford and the Dodge, but just like the way it drove. Also liked the looks of it....a bit more conservative than some of the other trucks right now. 10,000 miles and it's been flawless. Average 18MPG on the highway. Good rig.

Old 04-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by BEER SEASON
Besides I'm really on a roll now anyway for the American Companies. I am putting my Yamaha Wolverine and Can-Am Renegade up for sale to go buy somthing made by Polaris.
Nice! Chevy / Polaris here. I love my Silverado. It's a super nice truck. I drove the Ford and the Dodge, but just like the way it drove. Also liked the looks of it....a bit more conservative than some of the other trucks right now. 10,000 miles and it's been flawless. Average 18MPG on the highway. Good rig.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:33 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by TLC
Remember those 300 straight 6 they use to put in the f -150s ,they would go over 300K and not even burn oil.

remeber them, heck im still driven one! 180,000 doesnt leak a thing....but i will be selling it in fall.

Old 06-22-2009, 09:07 PM
Trailblazer

I have owned Ford, Chevy and now own a new Tundra with the 5.7L. Both Ford and Chevy's were gutless compared to my Tundra. I have a friend who bought a new F-150 and he tried to pull his 30ft toyhauler and the a$$ end is not only sitting on the ground but the engine can hardly pull it. After one trip he tried to trade it in for a ford diesel but the dealer offered him $10k less only one week after he bought it. My 2 chevy's were ok but imo they did not compare to my toyota both in quality and power. Have a friend that owned a Titan and he loved it. Have not driven the new dodge but they look good.

The Toyota pulls my toyhauler without any problem and the truck still has gobs of power allowing me to pass at will on the highway. You should see the look on people's face when you are passing them at 75mph on the highway with a 30ft trailer. I will agree though that it is hard on gas but I don't care one bit.

Strongly recommend the Toyota.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:39 PM
Trailblazer

Late to the party, just want to clarify a few things up. As the avatar suggest, I am a Nissan fan. I have the first year model (meaning had more problems than the current version) Nissan Titan.

First off lets get the bad out of the way.

Brakes - Nissan screwed the pooch here. Small rotors, got way to hot when towing, warped. Fixed in the 2005 model, and retrofitted to all 2004 models of owners who brought their trucks in.

Differential - Suffered many rear differential failure in the first 2 product years 04-05. Fixed in 2006 with a beefier differential that was also finned to reduce heat. NOT retrofitted to previous year end models. I tow occasionally with my Titan and have my original differential at 69k miles. Some people got lucky, some didn't.

Those were the two largest, and most talked about problems that Nissan had with their Titan pickup at launch. I will talk about the current problem later.

The truck was designed and assembled in America (Canton MS), by Americans with primarily American built parts. The Engine (The VK56) is built at Nissan's Nashville TN engine plant. Yes, its a "Jap truck" and believe me, living in Texas I still here it from time to time, but I consider it a (legal) immigrant truck. It wants to be American.

Solid ride, good towing ability and options that have now been copied by everyone else like the utility bars in the bed where you can mount a cleat anywhere in the bed rails and have an instant tie down spot. Lots of power, the Tundra has more but its stacks up very well against its American competition.

I love my Titan, I still get compliments on it from time to time and its a 5 year old truck. I don't baby it, I treat a truck like a truck. I load it down, I get in it muddy, I beat on it, I use it as a workbench, Ive driven my ATV into the bed so hard I bent it, my wife hit it once with her old car. Its a truck. To me its like my ATV, I didn't buy it to make it shiny. That said 70k miles it has been and continues to be a great truck.

Now all that said, Nissan needs to get their head out of their bum. The Nissan Titan was introduced in 2004. Look at a 2004 model and look at a 2009 model. The Titan is currently the only truck on the market without a major redesign in the last 5 model years. That said, compare a 2004 Titan to anything else from the big 3 in 2004 and it beat the crap out of them. But they all reloaded and came back to the playing field with better stuff AND Toyota crashed the party as well. 5 years later and some of the features that made the Titan stand out have been copied and/or hands down beaten like a red headed stepchild.

You are probably wondering why...

Well, some idiot at Nissan thought the Titan would somehow sell 100k units per year. Thats right, Nissan thought they would gain a significant market share of the US Truck market and that the Titan would outsell every other model vehicle they make. So to Nissan (and more importantly Nissan chief Carlos Ghosan) the Titan was a bit of a failure. They never gained the market share they were looking for because a large number of truck buyers are very very Brand loyal. Couple that with the near collapse of the US Truck market with gas at nearly $4/gallon and Nissan started to look elsewhere for an answer to the future of the Titan.

Last year, Nissan entered into a partnership with Dodge for Dodge to build a RAM Based Titan in their assembly plant in Mexico. In exchange, Nissan would build a Versa based small car for Dodge. This Titan/Ram halfbreed would share as much as 75% of its parts with the new Dodge Ram up to and including engine and power train (which IMOHO the power train of the Titan is better than the Dodge). This truck was supposed to replace the current generation of Titan at the end of next year. 2011 would be the new model year for the Ram/Titan.

That was all put in place last year. This year, with Dodge filing for bankruptcy and having Italian Fiat buy a % of Chrysler that deal has gone out the window. After all, right now no one really does know the status of Dodge or Chrysler. Its likely Chrysler will be trimmed down to just the Jeep Wrangler/Cherokee and maybe a few select Dodge vehicles. But, no one knows. Couple that with Fiat is a major competitor to Nissan sister company Renault (Renault and Nissan have an almost symbiotic relationship as each company owns a % of the other).

Nissan has been very quiet about the Titan future only saying that the Titan does have a future. At one point plans were laid out for a all Nissan 3/4 Diesel Titan as well as the possibility of a 1/2 light duty Diesel Titan. Either way, we don't know what the future of the Titan is. It may be a dead product in a few years and it may not be. The only real clear thing is the current generation is 5 years old (an eternity is auto-manufacturing these days). Its July and 2010 model trucks are around the corner which would put the Titan at 6 years old. Its hard to compete with new model trucks when your pushing a 6 year old design.

I would LOVE to recommend a Titan. I love my truck. But with that kind of uncertainty I just can't. Not until the future of the Titan is more secure. Go look at them, give the salesmen some feedback. Let them know you want to know the future of the truck because thats the only way I can see Nissan giving us some feedback eventually but don't invest money in a possible risky investment.

Still nice trucks though, here is mine all loaded up for a day at River Run.

Old 08-08-2009, 02:06 AM
Trailblazer

Its been a while since i have replied but do have another $.02 to add from the research i did on the whole "american made" import vs "american" domestic debate. I know that the overseas automakers are now provideing many americans with great paying jobs. But my beef was with the fact that where all the profits where basiclly being sent overseas. I fully a admit that all the domestics had a ton of quality issues and still have so catching up to do. But with the economy the way it is I just think it was best to keep my money spent with a US own company.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:19 PM
Pro Rider

Love my F-150 Lariat 4x4 but my 2000 Super Duty was my favorite. FORD power for me!

Quick Reply: Time For A New Truck...Suggestions Anyone