Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Transporting ATV

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 12:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transporting ATV

I transport my quad with a trailer and use a combination of straps and a chain and chain binder. Using the chain and binder the quad does not move and I can also use a pad lock on the chain as a theft deterrent

Old 12-09-2003, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer
Default Transporting ATV

I secure the front with my winch and two back ratchet straps to the frame. works great

Old 12-10-2003, 06:55 AM
Pro Rider
Default Transporting ATV

Originally posted by: thomez
Luckily both of my ATV's fit perfect in the back of my truck, tires hit before the bumper smashes through the back window and all ...

But those straps are nice for the trailer, but if you get the right sized trailer you can put the quads on sideways and don't have to strap them then either. Can't beat that!
I would reconsider using straps even if they fit nice and snug in the back of the truck. Last summer I was about an eighth of a mile behind a truck with two ATVs in the back when the truck had to swerve to avoid a car pulling out in front of him. When he swerved, one quad came almost out of the truck bed and sort of hung on the side of the truck. When he swerved back, the truck got squirrelly (the weight jumping around in the bed looked like it didn't help-if not make the situation worse) and the hung ATV went the rest of the way over and out into traffic where it hit another car. After this happened the truck skidded and half rolled in the median of the highway and the other quad went tumbling out into traffic on the other side of the highway where a truck and car hit the atv which in turn caused yet another accident. An amazing thing to watch as the whole accident maybe took 5 to 10 seconds. Luckily no one was injured seriously.

I didn’t really think anything the size of an ATV (these were a raptor and a honda foreman I think) could be literally slung out of a truck bed with just a violent maneuver or accident. When the truck half rolled in the median it tossed the raptor across half the median and one lane of traffic. It would have made it to the other shoulder of the highway if a truck hadn’t hit it. Amazing to watch. I was always pretty lax about tying down my atv in my truck but after seeing this accident I tie everything down in my truck bed with multiple straps.

Had those ATVs been strapped down securely he might have been able to recover from the swerve or maybe just dumped the truck on its side in the median. With them unsecured, the flying ATVs hit a car in my lane, a truck and car in the other lane which in turn caused an accident involving yet another car.

Yup, multiple straps for me now.

Old 12-11-2003, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Transporting ATV

I always use multiple straps when tying down in the bed of teh truck.. Sense i cant close the tail gate..