Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Polaris Vs Honda which is best for utility work??

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 03:20 PM
lax
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Vs Honda which is best for utility work??

Rhino, PLEASE START A POST OF THIS IN A FORUM SOMEWHERE!! Yo are so right about every word you just said!!!!! Honda gained its "GREAT" reputation from the past whereas Polaris gianed its "POOR" reputation from the past as well! NOwadays I think Honda, Yamaha, Zuki, Kawi and Polaris are all about the same in Quality if all manufactured here in America!!

So are you saying that honda's reliability has dropped down to the standards of the other manufactures?

Old 03-09-2004, 03:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: lax
Rhino, PLEASE START A POST OF THIS IN A FORUM SOMEWHERE!! Yo are so right about every word you just said!!!!! Honda gained its "GREAT" reputation from the past whereas Polaris gianed its "POOR" reputation from the past as well! NOwadays I think Honda, Yamaha, Zuki, Kawi and Polaris are all about the same in Quality if all manufactured here in America!!

So are you saying that honda's reliability has dropped down to the standards of the other manufactures?
Sad to say but YES! IMO I think Honda and Yamaha are about the same when it comes to reliability!!!

Old 03-09-2004, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

Try all makes as all are nice machines.

from what you decribed you are looking for,

I would think 4x4 on the fly is a must,

I would think differencial lock is a must, again on the fly.

if your pulling heavy loads braking is a must, EBS?

for handleing heavy loads, weight of machine would be a factor.

If you didn't want to add $$ after purchase, take a look at what comes stock for tires.

Power would be a big factor for heavy loads, 500 vs - 700's

Reability should be hugh factor.

Long term, will it be worth anything 5 years from now.

Most important, service and dealer. Find a dealer you know and trust, he can help you or hurt you.

good luck.

Old 03-10-2004, 04:05 PM
Trailblazer

As far as the IRS on a true worker.

Lets look at streetable vehicles.

My 2003 Jeep liberty has a nice ride on the Highway. It has a IFS and a solid rear axle. Decent on trail, horrible when pushed.

My 1983 Wagoneer has Front and rear solid axles with leaf springs, it will climb a tree in low range first gear.

Independent suspensions are a new technology for people that want smoother rides for thier part time fun off road.

If you look at any "real" off highway vehicles, they will be fitted with solid axle configurations.

Its just the way it is.

Old 03-10-2004, 04:11 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: KatyBirdChaser
As far as the IRS on a true worker.

Lets look at streetable vehicles.

My 2003 Jeep liberty has a nice ride on the Highway. It has a IFS and a solid rear axle. Decent on trail, horrible when pushed.

My 1983 Wagoneer has Front and rear solid axles with leaf springs, it will climb a tree in low range first gear.

Independent suspensions are a new technology for people that want smoother rides for thier part time fun off road.

If you look at any "real" off highway vehicles, they will be fitted with solid axle configurations.

Its just the way it is.
Rock Crawling "HYBRID" jeeps use straight front axels because of the gearing the axels run and most importantly the "STRENGTH" of the axel overall, to much to break and to expensive to maintain!!! THATS WHY you see straight axels on "REAL" off high way vehicles!!! Look at the Humvee 1, its IRS all the way around and stock for stock will go further than ANY stock manufactured vehicle to date!!!!

Old 03-10-2004, 06:37 PM
Elite Pro Rider

SInce you are on the farm, I would suggest seriously looking into the Polaris 500 ATP and the Ranger. They may be better suited for farm use than the Sportsman due to their straight axel, rear diff lock as well, a dump bed, and plenty of storage for extra gear.

Old 03-10-2004, 07:42 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: BigBadScrambler
SInce you are on the farm, I would suggest seriously looking into the Polaris 500 ATP and the Ranger. They may be better suited for farm use than the Sportsman due to their straight axel, rear diff lock as well, a dump bed, and plenty of storage for extra gear.
Stay out of it BigBad!

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-10-2004, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

BigBad or any other Polaris owner, what ever happen to that Polaris Deisel quad??????? Did it not sell to well?? I was gonna say, I bet it was the "GREATEST" puller of all time!

Old 03-10-2004, 08:20 PM
Pro Rider

I agree the atp would be a good farm machine and work machine thats what it was made for I have a polaris 700 and i like if for the trails. The atp would be great for the farm and the dump bed would be good for hay.

Old 03-11-2004, 01:10 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: RhinoOffRoad
heh......all it takes is one test drive to answer that one! the polaris diesel is loud. im not talking about annoying loud...im talking m16 with no ear plugs loud and im not exaggerating at all. i started to take one out for a test drive but turned around about as fast as i started out. i just couldnt take that level of noise and im not an old prude by any means. ive ran open headers on my big block dragsters for all my life, but i couldnt tolerate 2 minutes on the diesel sportsman. it literally felt like someone was driving a screwdriver into your ear drum on each stroke.
Exactly! Not only was it extremely loud, but it was SLOW as all hell!!! But it was never marketed towards recreational riding. It was designed to be used by farmers and construction companies with a fleet of other diesel vehicals, so that they could use the fuel that they already had available to them. If Polaris could quiet that thing down some, and add a turbo for more power then it would be a great pulling machine. Naturally asperated diesels are really slow and dont make a whole lot of power. A turbo would really wake that motor up....BUT....it would sky rocket the price

Quick Reply: Polaris Vs Honda which is best for utility work??