Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

heated handlebar grips and thumb warmer

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heated handlebar grips and thumb warmer

I have a set of Symtex and they work great. Both have 5 different settings on a control pad mounted on the bars. A little costly but good.

Old 11-23-2004, 05:29 PM
Pro Rider

I just got done installing the HOT GRIPS brand hand warmer and also the thumb warmer. I like them ok, not overly impressed though with the set up they had. I had to use scrounge up alot of my own terminals for the job.

They wanted me to wire them up in a series but I wired them each directly, now I'll have to redo them because they get so hot I can't keep my hands on them with out burning myself, even thru the gloves. I wired up each handgrip with its own "hot" and "ground" thru the switch with the low side of the switch running thru the supplied resistor. I also wired up the thumb warmer on the same switch thinking I could just mess with one button. Not a good idea.

When I put the switch to low and run all the current thru the resistor it starts smoking, so I have to run high all the time and it's way too hot. My hands will fry so I turn the switch off for a bit then my thumb gets cold while my hands are still hot..

I'll need to wire them in series and wire up the thumb warmer seperatly I guess [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

one bad thing about hand warmers is they tend to make your hands sweat, then when you get off the ATV you have damp gloves and your hands get cold much faster. Maybe you might want to carry two gloves, some for riding and some dry think ones for when you get off the quad.

Im looking into those heated jackets those bikers wear for when the weather turns cold. Plugs into your accessory ciggerette lighter [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 11-23-2004, 08:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

realy ? mine work great, could heat up a lil quicker but other wise work great

Old 11-26-2004, 05:24 PM
Pro Rider

I'm using the Moose Heated Grips on my Grizz for plowing snow and they work great. I usually start out with the high setting for 10-15 minutes and then they get too hot so switch to the lower setting. They are nice since you can wear lighter gloves and feel the up-down control switch buttons for the plow blade.

I haven't tried the thumb warmer yet, but it sounds like a good idea.

Maybe someday someone will make a seat butt-warmer for us snow plowing freaks.

Old 11-26-2004, 05:26 PM
Pro Rider

How hard are they to actually get under the grip? I put some new grips on today....it was kind of hard, I bet it would be harder trying to keep some kind of heating element under there at the same time.

Old 11-26-2004, 05:38 PM
Range Rover

A couple weeks ago I installed the Hot Grips Ergo grips and a Kimpex thumb warmer on my Traxter. All of it was easy enough to install, just took time. The Ergo grips work well but I'm not to sure yet about the thumb warmer. Even on the low setting it gets so hot that it actually burns my thumb through heavy gloves. It seems to cycle so it isn't always that hot, just one or two minutes out of every fifteen mintues or so.

Old 11-26-2004, 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

to get your grips on and off just use an air compressor and blow gun ... place the blow gun in one grip and your hand over the end of the other... the compressed air will "blow" the grips off ... with alittle work you can use the same (a little less air) to get the grips back on ... takes only and few seconds to switch grips with these procedure.

Old 11-27-2004, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey guys,

click on this link if you want to see some pretty good answers to your questions about thumb and grip heater controls.

http://rincon.atvowners.com/index.cf...42&thrid=10110

Regards,

04RinconGscape

Old 01-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default heated handlebar grips and thumb warmer"></title><script src=

Trader Jack!!! Didn't ya Know??? Moose DOES Have a Seat Warmer. Go to the Moose catalog and look Right Below the heated grips for the heated seat insert it's also on the website under Moose Accessories. I'm not sure I'm the biggest fan of unstapling my vinyl but, if you're crafty/handy, get after it. I believe it would count as a "zone" with one of those controllers so if you have to have grip heaters & a thumb heater that's 2 zones and you'd need the winter pack controller with 4 zones instead of just 2. The last zone could go with a pair of those heated boots or coats. If you only have grips, you could probably get a hot-seat for the 2nd zone. I guess there is an optional switch kit to hardwire to the battery.

OR... Go to Kolpin Powersports http://www.kolpinpowersports.com/ and look at 91875 under rider accessories, it's a heated seat for either the 12VDC outlet or hardwire to the battery (Must come with a switch or dial).

It looks like it depends on what all you want to spend. the Moose is 35 and a switch is another 10-11. The Kolpin is around 100 bucks. Not sure which I'd choose if I was you. I'm the type that likes to stick with the same brand... That being said, I have Kolpin bags and handguards on the machine already and they do not make grip heaters, just the seat.

I wish I knew more about these puppies and their function (which is why I like to dig into all these details and learn as much as possible). The place I bought my quad from laughed when I asked for Moose, they said HOT GRIPS have been around forever. I told them I wanted the other plugs and variable settings and they let up but 125 bucks is a decent chunk of change, I want to get it right the first time ya know.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default heated handlebar grips and thumb warmer"></title><script src=

Koplin also makes a heated seat cover

http://www.kolpinpowersports.c...heated-seat-cover.html