Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Manual or Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual or Automatic?

Originally posted by: K2
Just my opinion and other bikes are different, but the brake issue hasn't been a problem with me. The Rubicon engine breaking is all I need on most declines... I often find myself using the throttle while going down because the engine breaking works so well. When I rode a 450 Foreman manual, I used the brakes more often until I downshifted to the lower gear that suited the decline and speed I wanted. The Ruby automatic is already slowing the bike with no hesitation for downshifting and it often slows too much requiring throttle. I actually think, on this particular bike, that my brakes are used much less than a manual.
Are you sure you aren't using the ES on that Rubi? Just kidding. In a way, the Rubi is similar to the Lincoln LS with it's shifting choices.

Old 12-10-2004, 05:10 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: K2
Just my opinion and other bikes are different, but the brake issue hasn't been a problem with me. The Rubicon engine breaking is all I need on most declines... I often find myself using the throttle while going down because the engine breaking works so well. When I rode a 450 Foreman manual, I used the brakes more often until I downshifted to the lower gear that suited the decline and speed I wanted. The Ruby automatic is already slowing the bike with no hesitation for downshifting and it often slows too much requiring throttle. I actually think, on this particular bike, that my brakes are used much less than a manual.
Are you sure you aren't using the ES on that Rubi? Just kidding. In a way, the Rubi is similar to the Lincoln LS with it's shifting choices.

Old 12-10-2004, 05:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't know why that last reply double posted. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 12-10-2004, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider

The auto's never seem to be geared as low as a first gear on a standard
You have a good point here Coyotechaser. The standard auto jeep has a 3.07 rear end. I special ordered 3.73 gears specifically for off road. As a result it has very good engine braking.
Have a good day.
BryceGTX

Old 12-11-2004, 11:29 AM
Trailblazer

hey k2 you was talkin about the prairie 400 and 650 requiring more braking than a manual. i have an 03 p650 and the engine braking on it is very good. i will agree though that you need to use the brakes a little more than a manual. i didnt think that the p400s had engine braking.

ive also got an 05 trailbuck 650ex and you cant find any better engine braking on an auto. i was coming down a very steep hill once and had it in low gear and at one point i had to hit the throtle to speed it up a bit cause i almost fliped over. in low gear my trailbuck goes about 1 1/2 to 2 mph down steep hills and in high gear it does
2 1/2 to 4 mph on steep hills.

Old 12-12-2004, 02:44 AM
Pro Rider

I stuck with a manual transmission, because I tend to drag and tow things on my farm a lot. Wagons, downed trees, that sort of thing. The manual transmission is more foolproof and geared a bit lower for that sort of work.

Had to look long and hard to find a big utility 4wd quad that had a manual transmission. Cat 500i. Works great. I have had it for two years, no problems, definitely no burned out belts.

Old 12-15-2004, 10:30 AM
Pro Rider

we also own a farm, and we have an auto.

you just HAVE to use low range, otherwise u WILL fry belt under any load.

weve pulled some big stuff with my dads sp700, and its pulled every time, with 1000miles on the original belt. we use it to pull the tractors when they dont start (JD 730ish size). only prob is we get going 10-15mph, and then he drops the clutch on the tractor...not fun on the sp700, it pulls the log splitter, sometimes a truck when its barely stuck. we dont hook up to the dump wagons, cuz at 5000lbs, itll pull em, but u cant stop, as we have very hilly land.

i prefer an auto, as for the offroading that i do, an auto is the easiest way to go. whoevers bought an auto after a manual has never gone back to manual around here.