Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Riding in deep snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 12:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in deep snow

Like a couple others have stated. MOMENTUM. Once you've lost momentum, back up where there's better traction and start again. I've gone places on my 2x4 Recon (with stock tires) that others wouldn't try with a 4x4. I kept my weight towards the back and kept it going. Once it stopped, I'd back up and start again. Having the 4x4 Foreman makes it a lot easier. It also helps to have slick skids on the bottom. Helps it slide along.

I would go with a less aggressive tire for the snow. I like to glide over the top of the snow instead of digging down to dirt. Look at vehicle snow tires. They aren't really aggressive. Not like a truck mud tire. Some people like to mount a small 12" car snow tire on their quad for the winter.

Old 01-04-2005, 08:24 AM
Trailblazer

For those without a belt drive, using a higher gear helps alot. I like second or third in deep snow. Your speed is about the same as if you were in first gear, but the momentum is there, as is the high wheel spin speed should you need it.

Old 01-05-2005, 12:28 PM
Trailblazer

if we had two feet of snow here I'd be on a snowmobile....not my atv

Old 01-05-2005, 05:26 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

IF going through two feet of snow is the norm for you, get a snowmobile!

Old 01-06-2005, 03:05 PM
Trailblazer

My cousins fiancee just got some tracks for his Polaris 600. Cant wait to hear a report on how they do!

Old 01-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

last winter i drove my rancher through at lest 2 1/2 to 3 feet of snow (we had a blizerd) i had no idea how i did it. i was passing irs big bore quads that were stuck on the side of there trail and they just watched as i drove by and i wasn't following anyones tracks i was blazing a trail for sport quads. When i stoped fo a second i looked in front of my atv and the bumber was pushing the snow. it was crazy!

Old 01-09-2005, 07:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MarkGleason
I rode my BF750 in the snow today for the first time. I have 26" 589 tires on it. I started out at 4.5psi and then lowered to 3psi. I was having trouble in the deep powder snow, once it got about 2 feet deep I couldn't go anymore. The quad would break through and I'd be high centered. I eventually went down to less than 1psi air in the tires but it didn't help much if any.

What can I do to increase performance in deep snow?
i wish i had 2 feet of snow here... ive been riding the ditches that have been drifted over and 2 to 2.5 feet is about as much as i can get through. only think u can do is get a lift kit

Old 01-09-2005, 07:34 PM
Range Rover

When you are young, you can do that sort of thing... get a few more years under your belt and then you might understand why people have heart attacks out "having fun"... When it gets that bad outside, I snuggle up to a warm fire with a cup of hot chocolate and enjoy a good book...

Hey Draggin,

I like your idea the best. At my age, I try not to do stupid things to my health like this thread would lead me to. I like your idea of the warm fire, hot chocolate, and the book. But I would add the mrs to that list, gotta keep her happy so we can go riding when the weather breaks.

Old 01-09-2005, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

I live in Alaska and ride in the snow about 7 months out of the year. Here are a few things that help in the snow.

1. Snow/Mud tires (I ride with 26" Mud Lites) IMO are better than the 589s for snow riding

2. Ground Clearance (A lift kit will help so you're not pushing the powder with your bumper)

3. Weight is your enemy (The ground is normally frozen underneith the snow so if you're sinking down that far it's just like riding on ice) I've found a lighter machine to normally do better

4. Speed (Keep momentum; to fast and you're tires spin, to slow and you sink and bog down)

I have found that once you reach 2 1/2 feet it's about the max for any machine unless you have a lift kit. And even a trail this deep will need to be broke to have any fun.

Old 01-11-2005, 12:23 AM
Trailblazer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive been working my way through the snow as it comes,just to see what it will and wont do..
we have a total of over a foot,which is no problem of course but I dunno if Id try 2 feet,like the other guys said,Im gettin to old..if it gets stuck Im just going to lay down and cry lol

Quick Reply: Riding in deep snow