Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Riding in deep snow

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 08:54 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding in deep snow

C.H.A.I.N.S
One set is great, 2 sets are an absolute blast. Just remember, the farther you get in, the harder it is to get out when you do get stuck.

Old 01-14-2005, 12:05 PM
K2
Trailblazer

I haven't had to much trouble with 2 ft - of FRESH powder. That's like driving a big plow because your tires are still able to get down to the ground for traction - fun. If that snow, or even less, is packed, forget it. As everyone said, you hi-center, dig holes and it's all over. Digging, pushing and sweating to death in freezing temps in not fun. In addition to keep momentum comments, backing out when you lose momentum and to NEVER spin, etc.... I found that the best trick was all of that plus walk it out in reverse. When you're still on it and put it in reverse, there's no momentum, it will spin and same problems. Your tracks are full off chewed up snow with limited traction, the heavy bike and added weight of you - digs right in and stuck. I jump off and walk it back easing the throttle. The quad rides up on the snow in your tracks, no problem. Go back a good bit, get back on, gun it and take another run at it. Once you manage to break the trail, riding in the snow is a blast.

Other than that, I'd go for the snowmobile comments.

Old 01-15-2005, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

Here in Albany, NY we rarely get 2ft of snow on the ground at one time. My sportsman 500 can handle 12-15 inches without too much trouble. Getting rid of the stock tires would probably allow me to do more, like some 589's or something.

rich

Old 01-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

I ice fish and want to pick up a new atv. I tested a couple kodiacs and other than the engine vibration I think it would be best for me. Also tested a couple of outlanders but didn't like the clutch stall or racks. Tested 500 ac liked the ground clearance but not sure about the extra weight,also liked 2" hitch. The 650 bf rode very nice ,smooth engine , power to keep going in snow, but sra in snow?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 01-16-2005, 03:13 AM
Trailblazer

Well if you have to go thru 2 feet or more of snow and don't have a snowmachine, then probably the best method is to buy skis that attach to the front wheels. This will stop your atv from getting buried till your in 4 feet of snow, then you can kick some more snow over it and leave it till springtime.
Cabelas sells them- don't blame me when your rig sinks outa sight.

http://www.cabelas.com/information/A...TVHus-Ski.html

Old 01-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

the best machine for the snow would have to bo the wolverine. light, 4x4, and manual, the ultamite combo for snow.

hears a tip for riding in the snow. if you get stuck let off the gas right away, so as not to bury urself in snow. when stopped backout the same way you got in. (breakin the trail is the hard part). onced backed out a bit, go forward again, and hit it as fast as you dare. while your moving, DONT LET OFF THE GAS. as soon as you let off the gas, ur screwed because you lost presious tire speed.

Old 01-17-2005, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

spent a day breaking trail for a group of quads, about a foot of good setteled snow. hot engine and cold snow leads to a block of ice. got lucky next day with mild tempertures and was able to free the engine tie rods and drive shaft from the ice. ice can ruin the wheel drive boots.

Old 01-19-2005, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

thats why when ur done for the day, u take all the ice off te machine, weather it is warm or not

Old 01-19-2005, 08:26 PM
Weekend Warrior

Haven't riden in deep snow yet, but has anyone considered riggin up a v-plow hung off the front bumper with the bottom of the blade about even with the skid plate and only as wide as the machine?

Old 01-19-2005, 10:31 PM
Pro Rider

yep when you are out for ten to twelve hours at -30 c plowing through a foot or so of snow and under it is half frozen muskeg there is no just taking the snow and ice off, its solid ice and chipping away at it will screw up a boot, wire , hose. take my word for it i didn't just show up here yesterday.

Quick Reply: Riding in deep snow