Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

ATV Television reviews big bore 4x4's **Polaris owners beware**

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 06:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATV Television reviews big bore 4x4's **Polaris owners beware**

I want control over my quad. I want to tap the rear brakes to initiate sliding the rear end or bringing the front end back down.
Every Polaris has a rear brake pedal to do this, so I don't see any difference.
I want the ability to use engine braking on big downhills for the rear wheels, and only control the front brakes(in 2wd)
This is great on a manual clutch quad, but an auto quad the engine provides the braking and you have little control over it. See my post above.
don't want to use the rear brakes if I start rolling backwards down a hill.
This is one of the beauties about single hand braking, the front brakes always provide much more braking so they will slide before the rear brakes lock up in this situation. Try doing this on a Polaris and you will see what I mean. This is exactly a case where single hand braking is safer. My wife's quad was tipping over going up a hill, she jumped off the quad, steading it and grabbed the single hand brake. If you happen to jump off the quad going either forward or backward on a treacherous section of hill, you grab the single brake and it will stop the quad. If you have split brakes and you grab the front brake, it often will not hold and the quad will slide backwards down the hill. I have had this happen to me, and I suspect it has probably happened to others.
Modulating the rear brakes to prevent lockup has never been a problem for me, regardless of what transmission was on the quad.
LOL, If you are suggesting you have never locked the rear brake, then I say you have never ridden or your memory is not what it used to be. In most situations, I have no problem keeping either a split brake or a Single hand brake quad from locking.
Linked systems are much easier to learn, and more reliable/safer for the average user in panic situations. Note that except for some of the high end touring bikes, most streetbikes also have seperated brakes though. Motorcycle style controls lend themselves to easier applications of seperated braking
LOL, this is exactly my point. Split brakes are most useful on manual transmission clutched vehicles. It has nothing to do with easier to learn.
Personally, I have found that in the more extreme conditions linked braking isn't as good as seperated.
In my mind it has nothing to do with extreme terrain, it has to do with performance. Most all the performance sports quads are clutched manual transmissions, where split braking is not just preferable, but absolutely required. LOL, could you imagine single hand braking on your YFZ? LOL, neither can I!
That would be perfectly fine, IF you could opt out of using the rear brakes or just barely use the rears to augment the engine braking. The linked system won't allow this, so it is easier to lock the rear wheels.
The linked system allows this just fine. You just have to choices; either you go very slow so the engine braking becomes ineffective. Or you apply throttle to make the engine braking ineffective. I guess you just have to learn how to drive an auto clutch quad.
Going down a steep, slippery hill is not the time to lock up any wheels, but if I had a choice, I would rather lock the front then rear.
I am assuming that you really did not intend to say this, because no one will agree to this.
Lock the rears, you could end up facing up the hill!!
Same with fronts. Fact is there are cases you should not lock any tires, and you will have to learn when you can or can't. You can get into just as much trouble in 4wd as in two wheel drive.
I was trying to point out that riders with a choice between 2wd and 4wd will use the 4wd(unlocked front diff hopefully) going down hills for the extra engine braking.
Yep, and effectively get single hand braking. Because in 4wd, either front or rear brakes on a split braking system gives you the advantages on single hand braking [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
BryceGTX

Old 05-22-2005, 09:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

hahaha i am lovin today!!!!!!!!! raced a 250ex and won ahahahahahahahhahahaahhahahahahahaha,
oh yeah we both had split braking so you cant call that card on us!
brycegtx i am glad you are like minded! people worship ppl on tv cuz they must be stars dude i i wanna be on tv i can hit a cop car and be on the news lol!

Old 05-24-2005, 11:28 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I want control over my quad. I want to tap the rear brakes to initiate sliding the rear end or bringing the front end back down.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Every Polaris has a rear brake pedal to do this, so I don't see any difference.
Yeah, if that pedal is working. You still don't have the ability to control or modulate the fronts seperately.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
don't want to use the rear brakes if I start rolling backwards down a hill.

This is one of the beauties about single hand braking, the front brakes always provide much more braking so they will slide before the rear brakes lock up in this situation. Try doing this on a Polaris and you will see what I mean. This is exactly a case where single hand braking is safer. My wife's quad was tipping over going up a hill, she jumped off the quad, steading it and grabbed the single hand brake. If you happen to jump off the quad going either forward or backward on a treacherous section of hill, you grab the single brake and it will stop the quad. If you have split brakes and you grab the front brake, it often will not hold and the quad will slide backwards down the hill. I have had this happen to me, and I suspect it has probably happened to others.
Yet you ARE using the rear brakes, thus there is a point where they may lock up also. In the above mentioned situation, I want to be able to use both front and rear brakes as soon as I know I'm not making it, before loosing forward momentum. If you still start sliding backwards, you can always let off the rear brake if they are not linked.

Modulating the rear brakes to prevent lockup has never been a problem for me, regardless of what transmission was on the quad.

LOL, If you are suggesting you have never locked the rear brake, then I say you have never ridden or your memory is not what it used to be. In most situations, I have no problem keeping either a split brake or a Single hand brake quad from locking.
Wasn't trying to suggest anything here. Locking up the rear brakes is a fact of offroad life. You yourself stated the exact same thing I did with your last line, only adding "In most situations"

Linked systems are much easier to learn, and more reliable/safer for the average user in panic situations. Note that except for some of the high end touring bikes, most streetbikes also have seperated brakes though. Motorcycle style controls lend themselves to easier applications of seperated braking

LOL, this is exactly my point. Split brakes are most useful on manual transmission clutched vehicles. It has nothing to do with easier to learn.

Personally, I have found that in the more extreme conditions linked braking isn't as good as seperated.

In my mind it has nothing to do with extreme terrain, it has to do with performance. Most all the performance sports quads are clutched manual transmissions, where split braking is not just preferable, but absolutely required. LOL, could you imagine single hand braking on your YFZ? LOL, neither can I!
Hey bro, you make my argument here for me. This is my point exactly. linked braking dummies down the system for less experienced riders. Many prefer the higher performance given when allowed to modulate braking to front or rear wheels seperately. Personally, I think Polaris should offer users a choice of braking capability, at least on the flagship bigbores. This would add real value to there utes in my eyes. The current system is fine, but a choice would be much better.

Going down a steep, slippery hill is not the time to lock up any wheels, but if I had a choice, I would rather lock the front then rear.

I am assuming that you really did not intend to say this, because no one will agree to this.

Lock the rears, you could end up facing up the hill!!

Same with fronts. Fact is there are cases you should not lock any tires, and you will have to learn when you can or can't. You can get into just as much trouble in 4wd as in two wheel drive.
OK,
you have a steep, SLIPPERY hill. You are riding at an angle to the slope, but going downhill. Whichever wheels lock up are going DOWN the hill. I did clarify that I would rather not lock up any wheels, but it happens. I know you guys get the white stuff out there in Michigan, and it isn't uncommon to have some snotty mud underneath either. In those conditions, locking the rears heads you up(hope the drive wheels can get traction to climb) the hill and depending on speed, heading backwards downhill. Lock the fronts and you can at least see where you are going/what you are going to hit[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Obviously, I am talking about conditions where the wheels are going to slide, not flip you. Should have made that more clear upfront.

I was trying to point out that riders with a choice between 2wd and 4wd will use the 4wd(unlocked front diff hopefully) going down hills for the extra engine braking.

Yep, and effectively get single hand braking. Because in 4wd, either front or rear brakes on a split braking system gives you the advantages on single hand braking
Huh?

Old 05-24-2005, 01:20 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah, if that pedal is working. You still don't have the ability to control or modulate the fronts seperately.
My rear rear pedal always works. If you properly take care of the rear brakes, they will work. I don't need the ability to modulate the fronts seperate, thats what this whole discussion is about.
Yet you ARE using the rear brakes, thus there is a point where they may lock up also. In the above mentioned situation, I want to be able to use both front and rear brakes as soon as I know I'm not making it, before loosing forward momentum. If you still start sliding backwards, you can always let off the rear brake if they are not linked.
Because the rear brakes are biased to supply less braking than the fronts, they are not likely to lock up in this situation. I would go so far as saying that you are more likely to have problems with split brakes in this situation because you may easily lock them up. Furthermore, if you have to bail in this situation with split brakes, there is little possibility to keep the quad from sliding down the hill backwards (unless it is a manual and the engine stalls) because you can't activate the rear brakes after you bail.
Wasn't trying to suggest anything here. Locking up the rear brakes is a fact of offroad life. You yourself stated the exact same thing I did with your last line, only adding "In most situations"
Good to see we are in agreement that there is very little difference between split bakes and single handed brakes here.
Hey bro, you make my argument here for me. This is my point exactly. linked braking dummies down the system for less experienced riders. Many prefer the higher performance given when allowed to modulate braking to front or rear wheels seperately. Personally, I think Polaris should offer users a choice of braking capability, at least on the flagship bigbores. This would add real value to there utes in my eyes. The current system is fine, but a choice would be much better.
I clearly refered to quads with clutches here. Not auto trans quads. I always like the guys that suggest that single hand braking "dummies down the sport" . It seems clear to me that these guys just need more experience with single hand brakes. Not sure who is the "dummy" in this case.
you have a steep, SLIPPERY hill. You are riding at an angle to the slope, but going downhill. Whichever wheels lock up are going DOWN the hill. I did clarify that I would rather not lock up any wheels, but it happens. I know you guys get the white stuff out there in Michigan, and it isn't uncommon to have some snotty mud underneath either. In those conditions, locking the rears heads you up(hope the drive wheels can get traction to climb) the hill and depending on speed, heading backwards downhill. Lock the fronts and you can at least see where you are going/what you are going to hit Obviously, I am talking about conditions where the wheels are going to slide, not flip you. Should have made that more clear upfront
If you are riding on an angled slope going down hill, I do not want my front tires to lock because they will immediately point down hill and I will no longer be going in the direction I want to. If I lock up the rear tires, I will counter steer and end up going in the exact same direction. In either case, you leave the path and are in trouble. The only safe thing to do, is to keep the front tires unlocked so you can steer. If your rear tires are locked, you can still steer. If your front tires are locked, you have lost all control. There are various ways to do this on all quads. Any auto quad, wether split brakes or not must handle this in a similar way depending on 4wd, engine braking...
Huh?
When you are driving a 4wd quad in 4wd mode and you have split brakes, it does not matter which brake you use, because the end result will be that braking is supplied to all four wheels (with locked front). This provides the same benifits you get with single hand braking.
BryceGTX

Old 05-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

what an idiot

Old 05-24-2005, 01:54 PM
Pro Rider

Sorry I can't be as smart as you..
BryceGTX

Old 05-24-2005, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider

at least I know Canada isn't part of the US

buy American!!

Old 05-24-2005, 02:02 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hate forum back and forth arguing. When an inexperienced rider is on board, linked systems are usually safer as there is less to think about and fewer controls to manage in panic situations. If you own an atv with such a system, I am sure you like it. However, that is why I refer to it as "dummying down." Personally, I prefer to have that extra control over my quads, and believe many others do as well, agreed? Please don't look at this as a bash on Polaris or AC. I like their products, but they are not anything I would normally purchase. This is much the same way as I like sports cars, but having a two door, low to the ground vehicle isn't practical for a family with small kids, so I won't be buying anything like that in the near future either. Actually, if someone started selling a manual clutch, lightweight sporty 4X4 atv, I would have one ASAP.

Old 05-24-2005, 06:29 PM
Pro Rider

When an inexperienced rider is on board, linked systems are usually safer as there is less to think about and fewer controls to manage in panic situations. If you own an atv with such a system, I am sure you like it. However, that is why I refer to it as "dummying down." Personally, I prefer to have that extra control over my quads, and believe many others do as well, agreed? Please don't look at this as a bash on Polaris or AC. I like their products, but they are not anything I would normally purchase.
I will agree that inexperienced riders might be more comfortable with single hand braking. My point of this discussion is very simple. Split brakes have a benefit on clutched quads and manual transmissions. But they provide no benefit on auto quads. I don't view this as a brand specific discussion as much as I view it as a discussion on concepts. Quite frankly I have considerably more experience with split braking than my limited experience with single hand braking. And after using each, I have come to the conclusions as I have discussed.
BryceGTX

Old 05-24-2005, 09:47 PM
Range Rover

polaris still has the foot brake control the back brake only

Quick Reply: ATV Television reviews big bore 4x4's **Polaris owners beware**