Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

utility quads, the good bad and the ugly

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 08:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default utility quads, the good bad and the ugly

alright, my cousin is looking into buying a four wheeler and im looking for him and kind of researching becuase i want him to get one. well we went riding and borrowed a yamaha 350 wolverine nice machine he liked it but we would stop at bars and stuff and you would see lines of polaris sportsmans. now im sure there great machines but once he talked to a few polaris supporters he was grinning like he already had one but i wasnt to sure im sure theres a better value but i wouldnt know im more into the sport ones. so here we go he wants a 400-500 hes leaning towards the 500cc. he doesnt need it but hey i wont blame him. now mind you it wont be a brand new one he wants the best bang for his buck (hes in college he just saved up a bit) so since hes in college he wouldnt want to be working on it all the time he wants reliability but he also wnat to be able to keep up with me. so basically whats the best bang for the buck? also he will mostly be riding trails and little work, but he wants a utility. so 95% trails 5% work. thanks

Old 06-13-2005, 11:15 PM
Trailblazer

The 500 H.O. is a perfect four-wheeler for your cousin. It has great power on both low and top ends. The 400 lacks power seriously. It's a nice machine, but don't have him get a 400. The 500 can do lots of work chores easily also. The reliabliity factor here really good. You can buy a used one anywhere and still get lots of miles on it wiout any problems. Its a great riding quad for the trail and doesnt shake or vibrate or isnt as loud as the bigger bore Polaris'. Different brands besides Polaris also have some nice rides. The Suzuki Vinson is a really nice trail machine. Lots more power and speed then Polaris. It has a straight axle though making it kinda rough riding, but it can haul a lot more than A-arm ATV's. It also weighs a lot less than Polaris 500 models. Honda Foremans and Rubicons also are pretty fun to drive, not the fastest, but they do have nice handling and are pretty light. Just have him look around and test drive some at dealerships and have him get one that he will be happy with.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:33 PM
Trailblazer

polaris= reliable... hahaha thats not happening.
now honda on the other hand will run forever but you dont get stuff like irs... (who needs it)
i assume you ride a sport quad since you said he wants to keep up with you. so i propose this.

1. a NEW brute force 650 is the same price as all other brands 500's... so maybe look for a used prairie 650 (they changed the name and graphics) but the 650 is a v-twin and will knock the socks off any 500.
2. reliability- a honda rubicon has ESP or automatic so your free to choose... but period you can beat a honda if you wanna ride her hard and put her up wet.

Old 06-13-2005, 11:39 PM
Range Rover

thanks bout of you

Old 06-14-2005, 02:01 AM
Trailblazer

I've owned a Polaris 425 Magnum 4x4... As has my father. It was a "good enough" machine to make us get out of ATV's for nearly a decade. I've said it before, some people like Polaris ATV's and all the "wrenching" that goes with them, but I'd never own another one.

My vote would be
Suzuki Vinson or Eiger, Yamaha Kodiak 450 or Big Bear, or maybe the Honda Rancher AT (400) or Rubicon)

I've heard all good things from that group of Utility Quads.

Old 06-19-2005, 02:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Well I owned an 02 650 Prairie and have now a 500 Vinson,,,,,

If I were buying toiday,,,, hands down I'd score the KAW 650 Brute FORCE.... easy decision....