Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Utility vs Sport, 31yrs old, first purchase, here's the facts.....any advice will be much appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Utility vs Sport, 31yrs old, first purchase, here's the facts.....any advice will be much appreciated!

Originally posted by: stocks
Thank you CaptainQuint, RedGoblin, BigRed500, Starkey, & HondaBuster for your recent comments!

Red Goblin-My wife is from Lebanon, IL so I would have to think you can't be that much farther east? I am there about once a month or so! In fact, when we lived in Belleville (about a yr ago, for 5 yrs) I used to go get wood from 2 mills about 45 minutes east of Lebanon and if you said the name of the town I would know it! (off Old Stolleytown Rd, I think) Also Red G, I you had any of the reverse problems that CaptainQuint talks about on the Kings?
I really consider the reverse "issues" to be dead. The older VIN #'s are basically phased out, but if you do happen to get an older one somehow, it takes EXTREME abuse to break in the first place. However, if and when it does break on an older model, Suzuki will fix it and replace some of the parts with updates ones for free and then you can forget about it for good. As far as tierod problems, these are much less frequent and they only occur when you REALLY abuse your front end. I believe it entails hitting jumps that no utility machine should be hitting or smacking into unforseen trail obstacles that are literally too much for any machine to handle. However, once again, Diamond G Racing makes replacements if you ever manage to break a tierod or both that are beefed up and can withstand the abuse of even GNCC racing. I'm familiar with both Lebanon and Belleville, but they are still a bit of a distance from me. I live in Greenville which is close to Highland, Vandalia, etc.

Old 07-17-2005, 02:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default Utility vs Sport, 31yrs old, first purchase, here's the facts.....any advice will be much appreciated!

RG, gotcha and thanks for the reassurance on the King. I can't wait for a test drive on one!

Big Red, thank you as well, both of you ....great advice! I took a look at your pics, the 3 toys look good! Your buddies 800 with those tires was sweeeeeet! What does he have in that thing already, 10k? OF COURSE, it would be AFTER TEST RIDES but I think I would probably be content with a rincon or a King vs that big Polaris 800 or the new Bomb 800....I would love to hit some big mud holes but not as big as what you guys were hitting in that picture! Damn!

Old 07-17-2005, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider

Take a trip 2.5 hours west to Iberia and I'll let you take a spin on my 04 Prairie 700. It has some of the performance mods and will open your eyes as it has already done to many a sport quad rider. While it may not have a 73 mph top end or IRS it absolutely rockets off of the line! And they can be bought for $5999 here in MO. (that price is for the Suzuki version which looks better anyway)

Old 07-17-2005, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

DaRiot, I may take you up on a test ride on your 700 some wknd day! I looked you up on google maps and you are a nw of rolla getting close to the Ozarks! You have to have some great riding areas around you!

I will keep you in mind for a ride and I APPRECIATE the offer, ESPECIALLY when I am leaning towards a ute and to see a sporty one that is quick would be perfect. How old are you and do you ride mostly for fun?

Old 07-18-2005, 02:14 AM
Pro Rider

stocks, be forewarned, a Kawasaki would be fine if you don't mind turning a wrench from time to time; more so than other makes of machines except Polaris. They require belt adjustment. This was a deciding factor for me not even a month ago.

Old 07-18-2005, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

I am 34 and ride as often as I can which is not nearly as much as I would like to these days. I do putt around for fun but also like to thrash it a little also. As far as preventative maintenance this is true but not to the point of being a pain. Oh and only a vtwin can sound as sweet.

Old 07-18-2005, 09:57 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, at 34, sounds similiar on the riding time! After I get one I hope to fill up the boring wknds!

RedGoblin, Getting out the ol wrench, like you said, is not something I want to constantly be doing. I can do anything anyone teaches me, especially if it is relatively easy. I would prefer only the simple maintenance of changing the fluids, air filter, plug....so if I am hearing you correctly, in that case you are for the King and maybe a Rincon. (?)

Old 07-18-2005, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

If you only want to change fluids, the plug and filters, you may want to forget about a Kawasaki. They share a CVT system similiar to that of a Polaris where you must adjust the belt tension every so often, otherwise you'll eat through belts like crazy. I'm sure once a guy did it one time, it would go easier, but it's just the fact you have to do it at all! You also have to either make or buy a special tool to remove the seconday spring. I was sold on Kawasaki until I heard about this. I would just rather be out riding as much as possible instead of in the shop turning a wrench.

Old 07-18-2005, 06:17 PM
Range Rover

If your main concern is no maintenance there is only one answer.........Honda.

Old 07-18-2005, 07:20 PM
Pro Rider

Yep if you always want to be riding then Honda is the way to go. As long as you are happy being in the back of the pack!lol
As far as the Suzuki goes my ride time on it is very limited but I didn't like the way it squatted on takeoff. This would seem unnerving on hillclimbs.

But back to my origional suggestion...... ride as many bikes as you can as pick the one that suits you and your riding style.

Quick Reply: Utility vs Sport, 31yrs old, first purchase, here's the facts.....any advice will be much appreciated!