Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Brakes - 2 lever vs. 1 lever

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 08:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes - 2 lever vs. 1 lever

I guess it's whatever you prefer. Most people coming off a sport bike like split brakes but have been know to get used to single lever. It's funny not to long ago Polaris was the only manufacturer to incorporate single lever brakes, and every single mag would criticize them up and down. Now that other manufactures are using them it's safer and more efficient braking system. Still I prefer controlling front and rear separately and as stated in an earlier reply converted my sportsman to do this. I felt that I had a lot more control and stopping power with the split system. This is because not only do you have the separate front and back breaks but also since they are split it is a heck of a lot easier to pull in the brake levers. The rear foot brake on the Polaris's is at best an emergency brake. I would rather toss of some gear with a rope attached and hoped that it snagged a tree root or something rather than relying on it to stop me. If any one is interested in converting your single to a split contact HPD. Their kits are designed for the Scramblers/Sports but will work on the other Polaris models with no problems.

Old 03-30-2006, 12:35 PM
Pro Rider

Now that other manufactures are using them it's safer and more efficient braking system
just curious, who besides the x-snowmobile-only mfgs use the single lever (Polaris, Bombardier, and Cat that is)

where have you seen someone actually print that single lever is safer and more efficient for anyone other than a novice on easy trails in a panic condition?

Old 03-30-2006, 04:23 PM
Pro Rider

Its the same old stuff. Some people want to do the least amount of thinking possible when driving. I hear it all the time about the Kawi Locker. Some people's minds just can't handle multiple levers. For that reason they will alwyas be trying to fit the triagle in the square hole and will never be able to have a threesome.

I like to be incontroll of everything. With the one brake lever there is no power sliding, power braking, and all that other good stuff. I would never by a bike with one brake lever.

Old 04-05-2006, 03:51 PM
Pro Rider

My buddy just rolled his bomb 800 backward down a hill because of the brakes. He got in trouble and hit the brakes a little and it came up on him. Our other friend made it just fine on his 500 with dual lever brakes. Luckily, it wasn't a major hill and he did very little damage; if any, but i really don't like the brakes being tied together at all, this is why.
That is the exactly the reason why everyone should have two braking levers. The only way this wouldn't apply is if your in 4X4 mode....But by being able to apply only the front brakes when stoped on a hill going up you can avoid a rollover. If you only have back or all brakes at the same time you risk the front end poping up and rolling over backwards...Not very fun. I think the people who like single lever brakes have never experianced big hills or don't know how easy two levers really are. Sometimes I want my back to do a slide and use the rears only...sometimes I want to stop quicker and use the front only or with different presseures on each lever.....Its very fun and easy..but by only having single lever except in 4X4 mode you are losing fun and safety of riding in 4X2 mode with dual levers.

I won't by a single lever machine and some newer great machines lose my vote as a possible purchase because of this safety and fun issue.

Old 04-07-2006, 09:21 AM
Pro Rider

That is the exactly the reason why everyone should have two braking levers. The only way this wouldn't apply is if your in 4X4 mode
but it does, try it. it's obvious to me as I only have 3wd[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-07-2006, 10:50 AM
Range Rover

it's all how a rider rides to what one is best, just like an auto vs manual trans. for me it is one lever and an auto trans, less to think about when you are enjoying the view.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:39 AM
Pro Rider

ok, now there are benifits of both but it really comes down to two points. Point one is be aware of the type of brakes that are on the machine. Point two is that you use them properly for the machine you are driving. I mean on my KVF700 there is engine brake that will slow me down by the back 2 tires in 2wd and all four/three when i'm in 4wd/diffi lock engaged. The effectiveness of the engine braking is great to the point I really don't use brakes at all and if I do I use my front brakes only for 90% of the time. saying that I know my back brakes work well and will not freeze in the winter where my front ones can when I run thru water and fast trails. Saying that not all atvs have proper winter brakes and that should be a concern if you do alot of sub below atving... Now brakes are important and should be concerned however it's more important to maintain them. The only issue I have with the one brake system is if it fails, which it did on me in the past you have to do some really uncomfortable dancing motions to avoid hazards. In my case we just redid the brakes on my brothers 99 scrambler 400 and he lost his brakes coming on to a washout... so he had to gun it and jump it... he was luckly. I personnally like two levers and that is mainly because that's what I'm used too. I don't use my rear brake handlebar brake at all... I use my front and my foot brake for the rear. The proper combo is 60 front 40 rear, I don't know how this is accomplished on one lever. My engine brake does about 40 % of my brakes so it works.

Old 04-07-2006, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider

The cables on your KVF rear brake are far more suseptable to freezing up if wet & cold than your disc fronts. I have always needed more rear brake than engine braking alone.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:13 PM
Pro Rider

I drive a lot in the winter I have the tracks etc... I lub my cables in transmision fuild and they have never frozen on me. The only problem I have is snow build up on the floor boards where I can not get my foot on the brake lever and at that point I use my hand brake until I stop to clean it off the snow spray. My front brakes pads are subject to freezing yes however with 4x4 on the back brakes will lock the front drive shaft not the brakes. You can pump and apply a little friction to thaw out the brakes while moving and I find it't best if you are in the water to apply the brakes lighly even before you come out and keep them on a little while. Any winter atv rider should be fully aware of freezing elements on their machine. I also each time I stop clean my front arms out of snow and ice build up. With the tracks you don't really use alot of brakes you let go of the throttle and the machine will almost stop right there by it's self. I think the mutli disc in the rear axle is the answer to winter brakes I swear by them.