Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

So a major ATV builder gave you free reign to design your own ATV

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2006, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So a major ATV builder gave you free reign to design your own ATV

What would you put and where?

Man that would be a dream come true huh lol

Tranny: I would probably use the Yamaha transmission but build it a tad stiffer as one would clutch for bigger tires, then put on some aftermarket 26 inch radials Mudlites as stock with the larger diameter wheels

Engine: Prolly the bomb 800 engine, seems to make the most power and it's EFI...except I would want more power yet! So put on any mods as stock

Frame: Dunno, some aluminum spar frame like they use on most newer dirtbikes and streebikes nowadays

4x4 system: High, Low, Limited slip 4x4 and also I would like a varible lock for the diff lock... I would borrow from the AC and use a lever so you can control how much lock you want but I would also include a "cruise control" so you can set the lever and forget it (in case you gotta hang on for dear life!). The more you pull the lever the more lock you get until you acheive full lock...then push a button to keep it there! And I would remove any override or safty buttons so you can do whatever is needed whenever... like 4x4 in high in reverse and 4x4 low at full throttle!

Suspension: It would be an IRS quad with a twist, I would like to change the dynamics of the handeling with adjustible ride heights, if you wanna mud and crawl over logs then push this button and your quad jacks itself up to 15 inches of ride height, if you wanna ride like a maniac on trails then push the button and your quad lowers to a low ride height and stiffens things up so you can slide around corners and keep up with sport quads and anywhere in between you want.

As for the rest of the quad I would install a rack system kinda like the AC.

What would you do?

Old 03-25-2006, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider

Simple, Z400 or Raptor 700 + switchable 4x4, no lock. DONE!

Old 03-25-2006, 11:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider

a sportsman 800 with 100 HP! what could be better then that?

Old 03-25-2006, 11:28 PM
Pro Rider

I would start with the Arctic Cat 700EFI with 10 inch suspension each corner, 12 inch ground clearance, full diff locker, and 6.5 gal tank. Give it the 5 speed manual hi-lo tranny with auto clutch from AC 500M. Give it the plug and play high performance EFI module that eliminates all low end lag similar to Suzuki 450 MX EFI module. Give it non linked front disc brakes from Honda Rincon and sealed drive shaft mounted rear disc from Brute Force. Give it the foot pegs and pod mounted 3rd headlight from King Quad. Give it a factory installed Warn 3.0 and the factory AC optional sway bar. Make it available in my favorite Marsh Green with 26 inch Bighorns mounted on beadlock Plane Jane Baja wheels. Give it front diff locker controls from King Quad rather than lever system from AC. And while at it set the weight at 600 lbs with no loss in strength or reliability and set the price at $5,000. I think that would be enough.

Old 03-25-2006, 11:36 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: oldturtle
I would start with the Arctic Cat 700EFI with 10 inch suspension each corner, 12 inch ground clearance, full diff locker, and 6.5 gal tank. Give it the 5 speed manual hi-lo tranny with auto clutch from AC 500M. Give it the plug and play high performance EFI module that eliminates all low end lag similar to Suzuki 450 MX EFI module. Give it non linked front disc brakes from Honda Rincon and sealed drive shaft mounted rear disc from Brute Force. Give it the foot pegs and pod mounted 3rd headlight from King Quad. Give it a factory installed Warn 3.0 and the factory AC optional sway bar. Make it available in my favorite Marsh Green with 26 inch Bighorns mounted on beadlock Plane Jane Baja wheels. Give it front diff locker controls from King Quad rather than lever system from AC. And while at it set the weight at 600 lbs with no loss in strength or reliability and set the price at $5,000. I think that would be enough.
So you want a M1 Abrams tank for 5g's....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I would have to say I would buy one in a heartbeat!!!!!

Old 03-26-2006, 11:48 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ThrashAndCrashUntilItsTrash
Originally posted by: oldturtle
So you want a M1 Abrams tank for 5g's....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] I would have to say I would buy one in a heartbeat!!!!!

LOL me too! im #3 on the waiting list
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

i still think polaris has every thing right on there sportsmans sept the HP.
so yeha i still vote sportsman 800 with 100HP

Old 03-26-2006, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

The only problem with making a quad with such high end stuff is that high end stuff costs big $$$$$. Look for instance at some of the GNCC type race machines. Wether it be sport or utility a privateer has at least $1000 into his machine up to $10k in add on parts. This almost doubles the msrp of the unit itself. I dont know of many of my customers who would pony up $15K for a race spec type machine that would come with race spec maintanance. I would love to see some sort of a custom company such as Alba, Roll, or one of the good aftermarket companies offer a spec made machine for a buyer. This could be the Orange County Choppers of the ATV business.......Looks like I just figured out what I am going to do! MAKE SPEC MACHINES! I will be rich! lol.....just my .02.....
One other thing......when you go big on hp and torque the drivetrain (axels cv's etc) will need to be beefed up as well.....
Sorek
Honda/Yamaha Tech

Old 03-26-2006, 04:54 PM
Pro Rider

I like the custom quads idea!

I for one would pay a bunch of money for a tricked out 4x4 built to my specs, I would have a ton of fun making everyone wonder...WTF was that??!!!

Old 03-27-2006, 01:30 PM
Range Rover

800 outlander motor with HMF pipe
about 16 inches of gc ,electic 2x4/4x4 selector, detorit gearless locker,3 headlights with the pod one able to be turned off,warn 3.0 in front and a 2.0 in the rear,Mud Lite XLs on itp series-c type 5, metal racks with the shorage like the popos,EFI,remote starter, disc brakes front and rear,full diamond plate skid plates,shocks from the Rubicon CTE,dual batterys,reverse ligths,and a horn.

Old 03-27-2006, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

I would want a harley davidson 80 Cubic inch engine maybe throw it in a kawi V-force 2wd or raptor 700 frame must have wheelie bars, better yet how bout a rino HD edition with the 80 CI engine custom paint chromed out.

Quick Reply: So a major ATV builder gave you free reign to design your own ATV