Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

CVT isn't that bad, no is it...

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 02:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CVT isent that bad no is it...

I see Nissan put a CVT in there new Maxima!

hmmm

its actuly a kinda funny commercial,

the guy step on the gas and is making noises with his mouth like a car gaining RPMs and shifting gears ( like alot of little kids) and then it cut the this voice " so smooth you need to make your own noises"

Old 11-25-2006, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider

call me old fashioned, maybe I don't see or ride with many newer belt drives cause everybody I know owns a gear drive ATV, maybe the newer belt drives have improved with 2 stage clutches, better pulleys, and better belts. One thing I do notice if the belt drives are so great and wonderfull why doesn't the big makers of the ATV promote and brag and show some advantages of a belt drive? Why is it when you go to a dealer buying any ATV the salesman would never talk about the belt drive? The salesman will tell you tons of advantages that his ATV has but never mentions the belt drive. Read any sales add on any belt drive they will tell you about the independent suspension, the gear locker, efi, everything but never say anything about the belt. Why is it a few years ago all the Yamaha and Suzuki dealers would cut down all the other makes of belt drive ATV's saying the belts slip and have trouble, but now its a different story cause their atvs are belt drives. Its just sad to me that over time the true work horse atvs with gear drive are getting to be a thing of the past and people that do buy the newer belt drives are happy expecting and accepting less what their atv can perform. I understand there are many more new guys that are buying atv's that never knew about the old days when one brand was a belt drive and it was the laughing stock of all the atv's out there, they buy a new belt drive without knowing that the gear drives can run rings around it, the less what the belt drive can do is ok with them. Yea they are making a Nissan car with a belt drive, they are making motorcycles with belt drives too. will never buy one.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

moto, we just went through this whole thing. you can play this silly game where you try to say that "gear drives run ring around" belt drives, but just try it someday.

i have ridden the toughest atv trail in Moab (according to the local atv club there) riding 2-up on my brute with Bighorns, extra fuel, tools, recovery gear, water, ect. i'm still running that same belt today and it still performs perfectly. if you think you can "run rings around me" anywhere, just show up someday...

i have both a manual and a CVT, like them both, and trust them both, but maybe the manual tranny is dying out because the belt is superior.

monty

Old 11-25-2006, 10:25 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Subaru Justy auto was also CVT belt, if I recall correctly. I wasn't too impressed with the way it engaged, and shortly after she sold it the transmission took a dump with fairly low miles.

CVT belts have been in cars, lawn tractors, ATV's, and snowmobiles... I once had a little motorcycle with CVT belt.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:42 AM
Pro Rider

Old 11-26-2006, 09:29 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

cvt transmission set up right and w/ the same power plant as a man. will always be faster. ive seen a street bike w/ a polaris 650 sled engine clean house at the track w/ powert house bikes. cant beat that smooth transtion of power.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:55 AM
Pro Rider

sorry stendori, but always is just not true.

MINI Cooper: 1,598cc manual: 0-60: 8.9 seconds; top speed: 125mph; combined mpg 42.2; CO2 emissions 163g/km; Emissions Class EU4; Insurance Group 8

MINI Cooper: 1,598cc CVT auto: 0-60: 10.1 seconds; top speed: 115mph; combined mpg 36.7; CO2 emissions 187g/km; Emissions Class EU4; Insurance Group 8

_________

Honda Insight
5-Speed Fuel Efficiency: (EPA Figures) 61 mpg city / 68 mpg highway
CVT: (EPA Figures) 57 mpg city / 56 mpg highway

As you can see from above, it is still more important to have an efficient transmission than to be at an efficient RPM.

Manual-phobia and marketing hype distort the truth. The only thing I have against CVTs is the distorted talk (and the lack of control) that it is more efficient than any transmission out there.

"The CVT's main claim to fame is that it keeps the engine at a constant speed, either the most efficient or the most powerful, while accelerating. In the days when engines had narrow power bands and peaked torque curves (LIKE SNOWMOBILE 2 STROKES??), this may have been more than a theoretical advantage. But today's engines have torque curves as flat as Kansas, and power curves to match. And today's automatic transmissions have five or six geared speeds, usually with only about 18-25% ratio differences between ratios. In other words, modern engines have essentially the same amount of power or torque over a relatively wide RPM range, and today's automatic transmissions have a narrow enough ratio spread between their gears to use all of the torque and power that the engine produces."

Old 11-27-2006, 09:14 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

well propnut you my be right in the automobile world but im not too shure in the rest of it. i wouldnt dare try to quote figues such as you did but seeing and experincing is what i go with. you better be perfect @ shifting and have no synco problems w/ perfect reaction times to comapre 2 same power plants w/ a man. vs a cvt tranny. but once again this is my own opinion and what ive seen.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:20 AM
Pro Rider

If you want the best of both worlds look at the old 2000ish Polaris Magium 330 ... it had the CVT and a 5 speed manual trans you could shift on the fly ... but like some of the others a CVT ATV is easy, smooth, and now on all most all utility ATV's.

Old 11-28-2006, 05:57 AM
Pro Rider

ok they are going to make cars with belt drives, does that mean you won't be able to drive them in the rain in fear of getting the drive belt wet? OK suppose when you started to go out for a drive on ur new belt drive car the sun was shinning and it was dry, then all of the sudden a thunderstrorm pops up and it rains and ur 20 miles from home with ur new belt drive car, what do you do? Stop and wait for the storm to pass then drive home? Excuse me, The Justy was CHAIN drive, not belt drive. I looked it up.

Quick Reply: CVT isn't that bad, no is it...