Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

What ATV absorbs pot holes,rocks,logs, the best

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 03:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What ATV absorbs pot holes,rocks,logs, the best

polaris, with out a dought!!!

Old 06-07-2007, 11:37 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Hebs

Dif-lock the most overrated feature?? The rest of your post is decent and informative... but to say diff-lock is the most overrated is like saying stock tires are just as good as aftermarket ones... It just doesn't make sense... Could you expand on that comment?</end quote></div>

I just came back from a fishing trip which required 20 miles of norther Ontario trail riding where you cross bever dames and high water crossing. There were 10 heavily loaded ATVs in all,, of all types. Turned out even the one 2wd ATV made it and the 4wd bike were lucky to even need to tun on there 4wd option but we did just for less wheel spin. There was a 660 and 450 grizzly with us and Im not sure they used there 4wd option let alone there diff lock thingy.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider

yes, I know it's off topic... and if you have any specific questions about the grizzly 660 or 700, I'll be happy to answer... But back to the diff-lock one more time...

I like to go out and look for the mud. I enjoy playing in it. Infact, of the places I go to ride, you pretty much can't go thru the loop once without getting muddy. This is where the diff-lock comes in. I intentionally go in most of these mud holes. A lot of them aren't the gooey slop type only... They're the kind that has the gooey slop on top and ruts underneath. This is where you need the diff-lock. My buddy had a honda w/ the exact same 589s that I have on mine and would have a much harder time getting thru the same holes because his tire in the air would be spinning but the one touching wouldn't be doing anything...

If you're going out to challenge your quad and yourself by riding in difficult terrain that requires more than just a 3x4... then yes, you need the locker...

If you're just going to be trail riding the whole time and will only occasionally need 4x4... then any of the non locker quads will do you just fine...

Just remember that you are buying this quad to fit your needs and not because it looks the best, or what everyone else thinks about it...

When it comes down to it... the differential lock is definitely not overrated... but if you never are going to be in a situation where you need it, then don't get it. Just like owning a jacked up 4x4 truck and living in downtown New York. My old man had a 4x4 truck since before I could remember. I could never get him to go 4x4'n with it. When I asked why he had it if he never used it... His response was always the same. "Because its there if I need it".
I'm a rather have and not need, than a need and not have kinda guy... I've been in that situation before... and helpless is not a feeling I enjoy having...

Old 06-07-2007, 03:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well put.

Old 06-07-2007, 03:28 PM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!

Well if your out to look for trouble than diff lock,26" or up tires and a winch are a useful thing for sure.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:06 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'd have to say that even in dry conditions there are loose, loamy cinder rock areas where I think a locker would be helpful. The times that it would actually make the difference between getting stuck and making it all the way through, though, I think are few and far between.

Still, I'd like to "educate" whoever at Honda decided that they don't need lockers on their quads. I'd also like to have a nice chat with whoever decided the Outlanders should have linked brakes...

Anyhow, for me a winch is more than just a useful thing to have, they get used regularly.

Old 06-07-2007, 04:34 PM
Pro Rider

all i can say is ride a polaris

Old 06-07-2007, 05:17 PM
Trailblazer

Yes my next ride will be a Polaris. Everyone who has responded to this thread has some excellent views and points .... Even squeege [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-07-2007, 05:27 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Excellent.

I presume the test ride was impressive, then?

In any case, what matters is that you got the machine that best meets your needs and tastes.

I hate to see anyone get a machine they aren't happy with, so it's good to see you did your homework reasearcing forums and taking the time to test ride various machines in the class you were looking at.

Go out and have fun with the new Polaris.

Old 06-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Never make a decision before you have to, always have a Plan B, and don't tell me it's not possible!

It is interesting that Can-Am says there 2008 quads have "improved" visco-lock tarnsmissions. Surprising, because mine always worked great in the muckiest mud. So I don't need a locker.

Quick Reply: What ATV absorbs pot holes,rocks,logs, the best