Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

So you wanna buy a winch!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 10:52 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So you wanna buy a winch!

GFI on Extreeme....

Old 01-22-2008, 01:09 PM
Pro Rider

too bad you get so many people that rarely use their cheap winch testifying how great it worked.....once or twice....

Old 01-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Trailblazer

I've only had to use it once on the trails and a bunch of times lifting my plow, but this summer I will use it often to make sure they are good and then we'll see who is laughing.
I would like to have an expensive winch but then I could only have one instead of three.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Mike,
You are right man!
I never left a response on ebay when I bought the winch (Thank God). After the horrible xperience from Xtreme Winch . Xtreme Recovery Products. PowerSource LLC., or whatever name they are using today,
I tried to go back to ebay and leave a warning for others, but you can't do it. I had the xtreme junk for about 3 months and never really used. By the time I did use it and it disentigrated, it was too late to leave an ebay response.
That rating system is very flawed.
Thanks for your reply.
RanMan68

http://xtremewinch.blogspot.com/

Old 01-28-2008, 09:06 PM
Trailblazer

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: MikeM

too bad you get so many people that rarely use their cheap winch testifying how great it worked.....once or twice....</end quote></div>

Ok, you get lucky some times like the harbor freight winch I bought for 49$ that pulled me out about 25 times form deep snow and mud and also lifted my swisher(heavy) plow for two winters in a row , and pulling countless other quads out. submerged more times than it was above water and so on . Some people do buy cheap crap and have good luck with it. But I can honestly say I did not expect it to last more than like three times, so here is to the only using twice crowd

Old 01-29-2008, 10:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Furnaceman,
Thata's what I wound up replacing the xtreme junk with. Since I already had everything hooked up ( mounting hardware, relay, wiring, etc.)
I just pulled the xtreme junk & put on the H.F. winch. $49. I also paid an extra $10 for an extended 2 yr replacement warranty.
I know HF honors their warranty, I've used it on a broken tile saw. They never asked a ?, just handed me a new one. I like the retainer clip around the spool to keep the cable in place around the spool.

Like you said , for $49.00 I can afford to pitch it when it wears out.

The thing that peeved me about Xtreme Winch/Xtreme Recovery is they intentionally deceive the buyer. They clearly state they have a 6 month warranty, but don't have one at all. If that thing had broken before my credit card statement was paid, I would have stopped payment on it, boxed up the junk and sent it back to them.
the worst part was the several hours it took to install it. I have a Polaris 700 EFI, and had dissasemble quite a bit to get the winch & bracket installed.
Anyway, thanks for the response & make sure to warn your friends about Xtreme Winch/ Xtreme Recovery on EBAY!
RanMan68

http://xtremewinch.blogspot.com/

Old 01-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Everyone,
I've been reading with GREAT interest everyone's thoughts. We've been active on a number of these chat sites lately and it has been VERY helpful to be right on the "ground level" with everyone that is using these winches and our products. ATV Connection a great board and we've begun officially advertising on the site this month as well.

Glad to hear you've had a positive experience on our VIPER winches. They have been an EXCELLENT product for us over the past four years and we have improved them to a point that we feel very confident matching up with the big WARN and RAMSEY names. We sell up to 40 each day and people have been thrilled with the product and price.

As far as Xtreme (and other) winches. I can say that not all Chinese imports are created equal. It sounds like the Xtreme winches have decided to cut costs on their manufacturing material. That is not our philosophy as we are not a middle-man import business like Xtreme/Venom/Gorilla. We are a full-service ATV accessories business and we try to get the best materials from around the world. We produce many of our products (plows. mounts, racks, etc.) in-house with a manufacturing wing that does work for Toro, Graco, 3M, and Polaris. We also get many other products -- like the patented AMSTEEL synthetic cable from reputable suppliers instead of that knock-off cable ("Blue Steel?") from China that frays and breaks easilly. Finally, our winches do come from China -- but in our research we have only chosen the top factories and not some cheap operation. We pay more for our winches on the manufacturing side, but it is worth it.

So the bottom line is that we try to provide the best quality at the best price and have excellent customer service and warranties to back them up.

Okay, that's enough shameless props for our business!! Just helpful to get some of the information out there.

Let me know if you have thoughts, suggestions, or questions. Take care and happy riding.