Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

whats the best

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats the best

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: zorro700

Take it easy on him Rick. Did you see his pics? He's just a child that doesn't know any better and rides whatever dad has. LOL!</end quote></div>

Listen zorro, I was just throwing a little fuel on the fire because rick was doing the same. I wasn't pointing fingers. I don't think that being 26 years old and riding, driving, fabricating and rebuilding bikes, quads, and 4x4s, for the last 15 years or so makes me a "child that doesn't know any better." I know the difference between a good design, and a bad one. I also don't know what my father has to do with this either. So, what makes you so knowledgeable? Maybe I could learn something. Enlighten me. Please.

Old 04-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Range Rover
Default whats the best

I came strait out of the hardcore sportbike scene and let me tell you this exact same thread exists there too. With most of the same answers!

Every couple months someone asks the question- and there's 15 pages of bickering.

I'll be perfectly honest- sport bikes are all about the same. You're looking at differences of a couple pounds, a couple HP, but nothing truly remarkable to set them apart. Take the graphics and plastics off a sport bike, and most people couldn't tell what it is.
This is due to production racing rules though. No one ever gets much advantage without another company countering the move.

BUT----all of their capabilities vastly exceed the skills of those riding them.

In ATV's, it's similar. Most all have the same features (LO range, diff lock, engine brake) just different executions of them. Fit and finish become the real differences to quibble over.

BUT----there are few quads that wont go places I lack the skill to achieve. I know my 700 will still be clinging to rocks long after I've fallen off it.

Even losing alot of power at this altitude, that 700 of mine can do more things than I can even imagine to throw at it. These things are just that good.

When I was looking for a quad- I first assumed that they could all do about the same things and handle the same terrains. So immediately I knew that it was the small things that would set one apart from another.

I don't like the little storage compartment on my Cat as much as the rubber ones on other models- but the 2 inch receiver on my Cat really speaks to me as I plan on hauling with it.

I plan on using mine to hunt with, and trail ride with my kid who has a 90- so out and out speed isn't so important to me. I sacrifice a little high speed handling with that tall Cat, but I gain the articulation and ground clearance.

But it's not a drastic increase or decrease in anything. It's not like one 700 pound machine handles like a razor and another like a log.

Whatever has the best deals going on, whichever comes from a shop you prefer, those are the things to really consider. All the quads kick ***. They are all just amazing machines.

I suggest concentrating more on the offers being made (Cat has a 2 year extended warranty free right now for example, and $69 a month till 2010 if you wanted). I don't know about you, but my quad cost almost as much as the last pick up truck I bought.........so the deals and offers factored in heavily for me.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:44 PM
Range Rover
Default whats the best

bump

Old 05-17-2008, 11:00 PM
Range Rover
Default whats the best

id say yamaha i own hondas though
all i have had with my recon is TROUBLE!
it boggs down all the time

Old 05-30-2008, 11:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default whats the best

I think they're all pretty good anymore. I had a Honda 450 Foreman ES and it was a great bike. Also one of my friends owns two Honda 300's that have been rode hard with no problems. With that being said my late father owned a Polaris 400 Sportsman that was rode equally as hard as the Hondas mentioned above and he had ZERO trouble, even in water. The Polaris in my book has the best suspension and ride, they're good about keeping all four tires on the ground while climbing over obstacles. I know someone who owns a Kawasaki too and hasn't had a seconds worth of trouble outta it either. I believe no matter what you choose it's possible to get a lemon. Like others have stated, ride 'em all and make your choice.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:36 AM
Moto Psycho
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default whats the best

The world's best-selling ATV model is the Polaris Sportsman 500. I think the reason it's the best-selling is because it's the best. Best ride, higher towing capacity than even bigger quads, true 4-wheel drive - not limited slip. All the things that make a utility quad great.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:09 PM
dcc
Weekend Warrior
Default whats the best

i will say honda because that's all i have ever owned.
04' rincon
04' aero
07' rancher

i did not try out other machines, so i can't talk about them.
got a great deal on all my machines. the rinny and aero was used and the rancher i purchased in TN at a terrific price.

jumbofrank
you have had a string of bad luck concerning your atvs.

just my opinion, though.

dcc

Old 06-13-2008, 11:06 PM
Moto Psycho
Default whats the best

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: BradW

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: jam53142

Hey, the original question was which is better, Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha or Kawasaki. The answer is obvious...Polaris...</end quote></div>

That's funny, because the only guy I know with a Polaris replaced all wheel bearings and the front differential at 500 miles. But hey, if you keep your expectations very low, that's pretty good. Plus you get a better work-out pushing an 800lb. Polaris than riding a 600lb. Honda, Zuk, Kawi, or Yami.</end quote></div>

Half of the people I ride with have Polaris' and none of us has ever had to replace a single wheel bearing or differential even after more than 4,000 hard miles. There's no pushing involved. The true 4-wheel drive very rarely gets stuck, unlike a lot of 3-wheel drives. My 2,500 pound winch pulls out my 700 pound machine and any others that are stuck. The only pushing is the thumbswitch so there's no workout then either.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:24 PM
Moto Psycho
Default whats the best

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: sac7000

None. ATV's are dangerous!

But if you really must subject yourself to death and dismemberment the Honda Rancher is your best value today. With over one million ranchers sold world-wide what other proof do you need?</end quote></div>

Polaris has made more automatic transmission ATVs than all other brands combined, so that's the <u>only</u> choice in an automatic, if you're going by the numbers as proof. They made their millionth one years ago and have had 24 years of practice putting them on ATVs. Practice makes perfect. Also using that kind of logic the only choice should be the Sportsman since it's the world's most popular model.

"What's the best" questions are totally meaningless unless you specify <u>best for what</u>. Questions such as "best ride" are subjective. Questions like "best towing capacity", etc. are facts that can be looked up and proven. I got what's best for me. Everyone else can get what's best for them. A sport quad that outruns everything else is worthless to me because I can't plow snow with it, but it would be the best for someone else. The features of each model are what make it the best, or not, for your use and it's not just the brand that counts. But like RickCJ7 said, "You forget the best 3 brands!! Polaris, Artic Cat and Can Am!!" I don't know what's the best quad in Japan, but I sure like what they built here in North America.

Old 06-13-2008, 11:40 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default whats the best

I own 2 Yamaha's 1 Cam Am and a Kawisaki. I seem to work on the Yamaha's more than any of them. Not saying I don't have to work on the others at all. As far as riding them they all seem to get the job done. If your like me with few options on dealer/repair shops I would buy any brand from who ever has the best reputation within your area. Regardless of what you buy you will have to buy parts or have repairs made and there is nothing worse than a shop that never has the parts you need or will not stand behind their work.