Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Rubicon or Rancher AT -- Need help deciding ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon or Rancher AT -- Need help deciding ASAP

I currently have a 1988 Honda 300 4x4, which still runs perfect. Mostly used for hunting and haul'n fire-wood and dink'n around... maybe some snow plowing in the future. To date, the ol' 300 has done almost anything needed... could use a bit more low-end grunt when pulling a fully loaded trailer of wood, but other wise has been fine.

I have narrowed my search down to either a '07 Rancher AT or Rubicon. I like the flexiability of the Hondamatic. I like the Rancher for its smaller size, simple air-cooling... but am not sure if it will have enough pulling power? Anybody have experiance with the Rancher AT and pulling... many rumors say its underpowered with that trans... Quads have gotten HUGE in the past several years and I was trying to stay away for giant machines like the KQ & ACats but the RUbicons are nearly as large, but besides its larger size, its only 40lbs heavier than the Rancher, but has every advantage otherswise... Low-range, larger motor, disc brakes, ect.... How is the hadling differ between the two?

I plan to buy one or the other next week... any input on either would be great.

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2008, 03:40 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The older style air cooled Rancher auto is a nice quad, but it really doesn't have much pulling power/low end grunt for towing or plowing.

If you want more grunt for towing, plowing and hauling than your 300, I'd get the Rubicon. It's transmission and liquid cooling are really well suited for lower speed high torque applications like that. As a recreational trail machine they handle well and slide well, but the ride is considerably rougher than an IRS machine.

Anyway, for your purpose, I'd for sure take the Rubicon.

P.S. You expressed a personal preference for smaller machines... Is an auto an absolute must have? The 420 Rancher is EFI and liquid cooled, and a different animal all together than the 400 Ranchers. It's responsive and much more powerful, however I still think the Rubicon is more suited for heavy dragging, towing or plowing.

Old 06-12-2008, 10:14 PM
dcc
Weekend Warrior

i own a rancher and it suits me. see if you can take them both for a test ride, some dealers will let you if they have a used one.

dcc

Old 06-12-2008, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider
Reconranger (automatics are for sissies)!

I had the Rubicon and absolutely hated it. It was a preference thing compared to an earlier quad. Now that rant is out of the way-lol I have a friend who traded in his rancher AT for the Rubicon and has hated his decision. He liked the Ranche better for the handling and quickness. The Rubicon has more power but at a slower pace and what seems to be a heavier load. Just his words not mine.
Hope this helps but I agree that driving both will help your decision.
buck

Old 06-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

The Rancher 350 or the new 420 are great quads. If your referring to the Auto Racher AT 400, then I highly recommend the Rubicon. The AT is under powered and has a less desireable tranny then the rubicon.

Old 06-14-2008, 01:20 AM
Pro Rider

I also feel that the Rubicon has a nicer ride and is every bit as stable as a Rancher.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

I ended up buying the 06 Rubicon. THe money was the same, and it definitely is more machine. It seems to handle well. When you compair the two machines on paper, the extra 40lbs and a few inches larger are overshadowed by the extra 100cc & HP, and its obvious when you ride it.

So far, I'm happy with my decision.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Cool.

Have lots of fun on your new machine.

Be careful and stay safe on it, too.