Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

ATV's & Snow?? Am I Crazy??

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-1999, 11:57 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am interested in buying a 4x4 atv to use as transportation into my cottage in Ontario, Canada. I have never owned an atv and I have no idea if a 4x4 will do the job. The road gets an annual snow base of about 12 inches (fairly firm) with a soft top layer of usually no less than 4 inches.This road is totally unplowed. I would rather not get a 6x6. Anyone please help!!!!

Old 12-16-1999, 12:23 AM
Pro Rider

Do you want a snowmobile?

Old 12-16-1999, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

The Argo would be best for you. It will carry lots of cargo and with tracks it will drive on top of snow just like a snowmobile. You can buy one that costs less than a 4x4. You live in Ontario and that is where the Argo is made. Have you ever tried a new 6x6? Try it and you'll never look at another 4x4.

MaxRules

Old 12-16-1999, 10:05 AM
Range Rover

Max is correct.

Here is a list of reasons why:
  1. Buying a 6x6 makes you so supperior to everyone else that you don't even have to look at them.
  2. You'll be better and will be expected to tell them that on every occasion.
  3. You won't have to read their post, you won't have to pay attention to the fact that want something else.
  4. It will be your mission to enlighten them to errors in their thinking.
  5. You will be the sole voice of reason and you will be expected to impart your wisdom on the unenlightened.
  6. The others are weak and feebile of mind.
  7. Your job will be to point out the falicy of their ways.
  8. You will be supperior in every situation in every way.

4" of fresh on top of a hard pack base should be no problem. I see them do this all the time at ski areas. If you need to haul a lot of stuff, throw a sled behind.

------------------
Kevin Staton
Y2K Polaris Magnum 325 4x4
<a href="www.korrnet.org/watvclub">Windrock ATV Club</a>

Old 12-16-1999, 11:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Patrickj.I own a 99 500cc 4x4 Polaris Sportsman.I plow about a 100ft long driveway with a 48'' plow.I am more than happy with the job it does.In Janurary1999,my State [Michigan]got nailed with two differant snow storms,one being about 10 inches,the other 12 inches.The Sportsman handled it flawlessly.I do have one of the best aftermarket Mud/Snow tires on the market.[Mud Runners]They probably make a big differance to.I recommend whichever quad you choose for the snow plowing job,get one that is capable of deleivering torque to all 4 wheels at the SAME time when 4x4 is activated.The Sportsman is so good because of it's weight of 697lbs and AWD system that gives you torque to all 4 wheels.Best of luck=======BILL

------------------

Old 12-16-1999, 12:38 PM
Rod
Trailblazer

Greetings,

I use a 450ES to get around my farm and it has worked fine in the snow. The most I have had it in was about a foot, but it seems to pack it down and pull through easily -- the front wheels don't kick in that much at all.

Cabelas and maybe Northern offer a snowmobile sled that looks really cool -- I thought of getting one even though I really don't need it.

One thing to prepare for is that winter riding is cold -- especially on your hands and your face. I have handlebar mitts but my thumb still freezes (they make an electric thumb warmer but I haven't given in on that yet). I usually ride with a helmut with a face shield which helps a lot, but it does fog up. I bought a cheap foam-lined face mask which is distracting but very effective.

Also, don't forget to pack up some emergency gear (space blanket, food, matches, et al). There are some good posts about such items you can find through the search mechanism.

Thanks,

Rod 98 450ES [...and its yellow]

Old 12-16-1999, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Rod, patrickj- I beleave Denise Kirk sells a face sheild defoger that would plug right into your 12-v acc outlet.They work great! I think around $40.As for the hands I use hot pockets, For Around a $1 stay warm all day.If you only use them for an hour, Throw them in a ziplock for later use.

Old 01-04-2000, 09:23 AM
Weekend Warrior

For Keeping your hands warm I recommend Hot Grips. Two Temp settings @ $ 65 Can. THe are greaat.

A :=)

Old 01-04-2000, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

Hi patrick, F.Y.I., atv's cannot go into as deep of snow as a snow machine. However, even
as a minnesota resident. I find that everyones snow machines sit in the garage most of the time. Atv's are good all season.
Which ever atv you get. You are a good candidate for larger tires then stock. Extra wide. Most everyone is raving about the mudrunners or vampires. You are also a candidate for buying a set of chains for your
tires and all the warming gear, you can think of. You might even want a windshield on your atv. With the wide tires and chains, I think you can handle the possible deep snow you might get. As far as which 4 x 4 quad to buy.
Who knows. It depends on the type of use you would want it for. Im sure you need it for more then just going to your cabin. Maybe you
hunt and fish and camp and expore. If you need it to haul a load. I have a hitch on back of my atv and I tow the trailer that hauls my atv around. Its big enough where I can put a big load on it if I want. For towing. It is pratical to think that a heavier atv with a good size motor can pull allot. I think this is the info your looking for......

rangerchet, polaris year 2000 xpedition 425cc
5 speed.....

Old 01-05-2000, 12:43 AM
Pro Rider

At this time we have 12-16" of snow up here in Northwestern Ontario. My 450ES has no problem in the snow at all with stock tires, but I did add a full skid pan and put a piece of teflon over the front bash plate from the bumper down to prevent snow from piling up in the front of the frame against the oil cooler. The skid pan helps prevent drag on the bottom end thus allowing it to slid along ontop of the snow easier.

------------------
Ride the "WILD" Country, South Gillies, Ontario, Canada.

Y2K Honda 450ES
The "BIGGER BIG RED"

[This message has been edited by BigRed450 (edited 01-05-2000).]

Quick Reply: ATV's & Snow?? Am I Crazy??