Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

True front lock

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2002, 12:18 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I must say IRS sucks up to much power, its terribly inefficient. Its give a wicked ride and lots of clearance but the more moving parts the worse you are off. I own a 500i so I have the best IRS quad out there but they break way to easy, they can't handle big power and big tires. I'm going solid axle again and I'm not looking at IRS ever again. It has no place on my quads, I drive my quads hard. So hard that one time I needed my truck to pull out my quad, the truck was spinning and could not pull it out on its own. I had to give it a slight tug! My truck has 5.7 V8 and I'm running BFG Mud Terrains too, so I had the power and traction. That just gives you an example of how extreme I go sometimes.

Bottom line, IRS for trails, rocks and light mud with light mud tires. Solid axle for high torque quads wanting big mud with big tires. No if, ands or buts about it.

PS: You can say all you want about the Grizzly IRS with big tires and big power but the truth is the Grizzly breaks axle shafts so do the Polaris quads and Arctic Cat quads, all IRS quads break with big tires. How many times have you seen an axle dragger with big tires snap their axle in half......hmmmm.....never? Yep, never.

Old 10-03-2002, 12:43 AM
Trailblazer

I'm just curious where exactly are all these IRS axles breaking ? Is it in the CV joint ? I really don't see where it's weaker unless it's in the CV .

Old 10-03-2002, 12:54 AM
Pro Rider

BLAH BLAH BLAH.....

Take a breath before you irs guys fall over from lack of oxygen. Sounds to me like theyve been running the quad in the garage with the door down again....=) Rob

Old 10-03-2002, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

Me, I break my axles on the axle itself. Not on the CV joints. It breaks right where the splines meet inside the rear diff. I don't know if I got bad axles, because each one broke or if its the tires. I don't want to find out a third time though because they might not cover it under warranty. You know if my cat didn't break down, I would still love it to this day, but it did break down and I hate it now.

Old 10-03-2002, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Hey guys. I'm running my wolv. stock from engine mods right now. I am 100% sure i am getting the highlifter 2x4 to 4x4 kit for my Wolverine but they are offering a package for 500 somthing dollars to get an unlocker and a detroit gearless locker. First of all do you guys think it is a good deal the unlocker alone would cost me 280. This locker is supposed to be real good because when you turn it disingauges the outside wheel to stop hopping. but anyways I wanted to know if you guys think it's a good deal, but also how much of a difference will a locker make on my wolverine. I have read about them plenty but I have never had the chance to compare one with and without a locker on it so I don't really know what the difference is. most of the time both of my wheels spin in the mud once i punch it with the regular 3 wheel drive. I will also be getting 24 inch dirt devils soon and a Alba power kit with K&N filter, FMF megamax pipe, torque stuffer and jet kit. so what do you guys think. I'm looking for any opinions/information you guys have.

Thanks,

Evan

Old 10-04-2002, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer

What kind of set up does the solid axle have inside of it ? BTW don't hummers have an IRS rear suspension ?

Old 10-04-2002, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider

I thought this post was about True 4wd?? Boy did it ever take a left turn.

Old 10-04-2002, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

<< What kind of set up does the solid axle have inside of it ? BTW don't hummers have an IRS rear suspension ? >>

Yah hummers have IRS but they are built to take the abuse, unlike currenty IRS models in quads.

Old 10-04-2002, 01:40 PM
Trailblazer

I wonder why the front doesn't break, they all have IRS up front.

Old 10-04-2002, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

Because its limited slip, the rear end has both tires turning at the same rate all the time, this creates allot more stress on the drivetrain.

Quick Reply: True front lock