Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

Manual lift or winch for snow plow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 05:45 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning on purchasing my first quad soon. The major reason is for snow removal. What's the best system for raising/lowering the plow?

I've been told that it's faster using a manual lift, and also using a winch on a plow will wear out the cable faster.

Thanks for your input.

Bill

Old 09-23-2002, 01:11 PM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They now make a kit that puts a small DC powered lift motor on the plow,it uses a spring-tensioned cable to lift or adjust your plow on the fly.It is very small,quiet,and gives you infinite adjustability,you start bogging in deep snow,a few taps on a handlebar mounted button,and you lift just enough to take some load off and keep pushing.With the manual set up,you stop,yank on the lever,back up and try it again. It will be more money up front,but if you use it a lot,you will love it,and it saves wear and tear on your winch and cable.

Old 09-24-2002, 12:22 PM
Trailblazer

I bought my first quad last November (Arcticat 400 4x4). I planned to use it mostly for fun but I bought the plow to clear out the sidewalk in front of my store. The winch was going on anyway. I live along Lake Erie south of Buffalo NY. We get snow! I was amazed how well this "toy" pushes snow. Now I use my quad to clear out my house, my sisters house, my parents house and one or two nieghbors houses as well and my storefront. My winch control is mounted on the handle bar so it is very easy to raise and lower the plow. I recommed the winch if you have to raise and lower quite a bit. If it is just occasional use then the manual lift should do fine.

Old 09-30-2002, 08:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

I use both. I have the manual lever, but I also have the winch hooked to the plow, I use it mostly so I can raise the blade to a certain height if desired. The manual lever, I use to raise and lower. It takes very little effort and to me makes the most sense for just raising and lowering the thing.

Old 10-05-2002, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

Go manual. It is just as fast as a winch, you just can't really adjust it for different heights as quickly or easily. But it is better than replacing your switch and solenoid because you burnt them out going up and down every ten seconds.

Old 10-05-2002, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

Buy a winch any ways though. Comes in handy once in a while. And pays for itself pretty quick.

Old 10-05-2002, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider

I wouldn't go as far as saying..."it PAYS for itself". A winch is a tool. There are many uses for it. You can be creative and use it a lot of things or let it sit there and wait to be used. $400 is a lot of cash to spend on something that is only a recovery tool! I use mine for plowing and it is great I also use it for hoisting, logging, and getting out of tough situations. I wouldn't go with a manual lift unless you do not want to fork over the money for a versatile tool like a winch.

Old 10-06-2002, 07:43 PM
Trailblazer

I'd use the winch. Most people get them when they get a new one anyway. I didn't have any problem with this setup on my last one.

Old 10-06-2002, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

father-in-law had a drive put in he had me level off the yard w/ all the dirt, the winch is the way to go after plowing for 3 hrs......my arms would have turned into jello if i used the manual lift

Old 10-17-2002, 10:19 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Manual lift or winch for snow plow?

Thanks for the input. I'm going to pick up my '03 700 Sportsman with the winch and a 48" blade on Saturday. Can't wait for some snow!!!

Quick Reply: Manual lift or winch for snow plow?