Utility ATVs Discussions on utility ATVs.

two person atvs

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2003, 04:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default two person atvs

I am a design student from new zealand. I am designing a two person atv/light utility vehicle for a school project, and am interested in other people's point of view on such vehicles. I think they are not really big sellers, and am interested in in your thoughts as to why. Any thoughts please...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-11-2003, 06:58 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default two person atvs

bombardier and artic cat already make two up quads.

Old 04-14-2003, 01:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default two person atvs

The back seats are higher up than the front. I’m not sure but maybe its because the quad isn’t meant to handle one weight and then that weight and another person. Its going to handle differently depending on one person or 2.with one of those quads you cant just hit that mud at high speeds, actually you cant really hit high speeds or rough terrain because of the other person. Especially with the other person being higher up. It’s going to be almost twice as likely to tip, right. Hope I was of some help.

Old 04-14-2003, 03:26 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default two person atvs

I thought the back seat is higher so the passenger can see past the driver. I think that there is a place for the 2 seaters because alot of couples would rather ride together. The longer wheel base would make it steer and handle better with the added weight in the back. It is definitely not a sport/ute and sales would be limited to a lower amount of buyers. But if everyone that I've seen ride double bought one then sales would be great.

Old 04-14-2003, 06:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default two person atvs

My Wife & I ride a Bazzillion miles every year with her on the back,.... and as per previous posts,... it does make it much "tippier" on side hills... I have a sportsman 500 H.O., I fabricated a length of steel between the running boards and the rear rack... serves 2 purposes, after intstalling motorcycle footpegs so she could lean effectively it mad it alot easier for side-hilling... also I was always concerned because we ride a lot of muskeg, and it's easy to roll it on it's side. The foot pegs give her a way to "jump off"... otherwise the sides of the back seat kind of trap her on the back... and I'll be damned if I want to see my quad go over & under the mud w/ my wife trapped on the back.

Old 04-15-2003, 07:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default two person atvs

Thanks for the responses guys
One thing I have been wondering about, with respect to two person quads like the traxter max, is how easy it is for the passenger to get off with the driver still on. To me it looks like it would be quite awkward, especially with the back rest to get around. I am going to a dealer in the next few days, so will hopefully be able to gauge for myself. It would be cool to get some other views.
Here in New Zealand the main ATV market is utility quads for farm use, and if you have a passenger you often need to get off to open gates and do small chores, this is why I am asking. When riding as a passenger I often sit beside the driver on the rear carrier, kind of side saddle, so I can get off easier, but this does affect handling.
I think the two-person quads could be aimed at trailriding, but am not totally sure. A well designed two-person quad for farming could be a big seller in New Zealand, and possibly elsewhere, because light utility vehicles intended for farm work just don't seem to be small or nimble enough for farm chores like chasing stock.
Thanks again guys, keep the responses coming.