Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

New riding area in Louisiana.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 04:53 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New riding area in Louisiana.

Mx you ever been toThe flyin w in centerville MS. Its the place that kevin windham the pro dirt bike rider owns. The type of set up he has is what we need to make. You come through the gate and there is a place you pay at which is also a concession stand and has in door showers behind it. There is also a big concrete slab with high pressure hose to clean of you r bike. There are three big loops that you can ride on and off of one of them is a big mx track that they just built that is almost finidhed. But the cool thing about the trails is that there is a two way trail that leads back to camp that cuts down the middle of all the loops which that the loops criss cross back and forth over so that if you have an emergency or need to go back to camp you don't have to go all the to the end of the trail. The only thing this place doesn't have is sand dunes which would just top everything off

Old 06-17-2003, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

I just spoke with a guy from a commercial ins agency here......H esaid the main thing is that there are only a hand full of companies that will write insurance on that and that he could get it done..He said the premium could run anywhere from 15 to 20 grand a year which to me does not justify 25 a weekend...Even at 25 thousand you would have no problem paying rest of the bills...He said he would need to no the limits on evrthing ( How much insurance we would need to have)..and also know round about how many people attend each year....We pay 3 grand a year insurance on 2558 acre lease that we hunt on....I would be willing to bet Barney pulls in a quarter mill a year on that place if not more, So at the worse case senario you are looking at about 60 to 70 grand in overhead, which would be no problem to take care of.

Old 06-17-2003, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

No i havent been to his place YET ! I really need toget my wife a ride Bad BAD she wants to start going with me and it sucks not having her own scooter to blast on . My ultimate intention is to open in this state a full access park sand would be nice to build around great wooded trails that are upkept and i like the idea of a central route back in case of break down .

Honestly Guys not much money has to be out of pocket . we need to get the tax money we already pay for fuel that is set up for maintaining trails and get that get our land then start by setting up trails r/v hookups water etc...

Old 06-17-2003, 06:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Start small first. Anyone have any sugguestions for names of the group? We need to know who is all going on the Saturday on 4th of July weekend. I will be there. When we all meet up we can discuss the situation a little more. I know that not everyone will be able to attend. But don't worry if you cant go. What topics do we need to cover?

1) Name
2) Property- I dont think we should move to far from the Alexandria are to keep it centrally located.
3) Insurance
4) Funding
5) How to get backing from the government or atv groups.
6) How much of a fee. ( I ride at La Dunes 1 to twice a month at $15) Ruffly I spend 260 dollars a year.
Dont see anything wrong with $100 to $200 a year fee.
7) How many of us are willing to pay a fee.

Did I leave anything out. Or if you have any sugguestions post them. Good job everyone with the information gathered so far.

Mike aka. 1bigdsrider

I would still like to make a riding organization to maybe make La Dunes a little more friendly. Maybe new managment. We will still need to find out who owns La. Dunes for sure.

Old 06-17-2003, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

I will be going on the 4th and im up for a 200 a year membership fee..

Old 06-17-2003, 08:16 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know if I'll be able to make it to the dunes on the 4th because I'll be having a birthday party for my daughter, but keep me in the loop guys. Just PM me and let me know what transpires. I'm offshore at work until the 24th, but I'll ask my wife about the insurance. The thing is we will have to know if this will be privately owned land or state land, who the owner is, and how much land, etc, etc. I'm not sure if Allstate even writes these types of policies, but I'll find out, and may be able to get some other references if they do not.
Hey mxrookie, what kind of quad are you looking for your wife?

Old 06-17-2003, 09:06 PM
Range Rover

I don't think I will be goin to the dunes on the 4th either i think me and my buddies are goin somewhere else to ride but I am all for what we are tryin to do. I talked to some of my other friends and they seem interested in it also

Old 06-17-2003, 10:09 PM
Range Rover

This is mostly for Highlifter and 1BigDSRider. I live in South Shreveport and ride a KDX200 and a Bayou 220. For the Bayou, I mostly ride it near my house. But on the KDX 200, I like woods riding as well as MX riding (but I don't go crazy cause my suspension isn't really set-up for sailing the doubles) and ride at RedK in Minden, but its too far. Are there any MX tracks closer? The posts here mention the LA Dunes; haven't heard of it and although it's posted I'd like to know where it is. More interested in places that are legal (at least not people shootin at ya) to ride like the Red River but don't know how to get to the ridin part. Are there any other places around here? Please fill me in. It sucks to ride all the same old places. Maybe I could meet up with ya'll sometime. And concerning the new club trying to form, would I be able to ride my bike? I think the Bayou is a little slow (but it's a good all - around quad - and it has a winch). Thanks.

Old 06-17-2003, 10:32 PM
Range Rover

Pecker, ( I cant get used to calling someone I dont know that name)

La Dunes is sometimes visited by guys on DirtBikes, but it needs to be a strong one, with paddles, and it seems like it is still quite a chore... The whole place other than the campground is soft sand..... If you go, bring both bikes... at least when you get tired on the bike you can ride the quad...
have fun.

Old 06-17-2003, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

You Shreveport/Bossier guys should talk to Gene at Gene Alleman Cycle. He used to be real big into the Dusty Wheels M/C Club and could put you in touch with several members who are trying to get the club active again. Until recently they had land leased at the downtown airport but had to drop it because they were unable to get insurance. Tthey are looking for other areas and may welcome ATVers to add numbers to their club. Even if they don't, they have already fought alot of these battles and could be a wealth of information for us. No need to start from scratch on a lot of these issues. Also, I'm told that Randy Cooksey owns a new Yamaha shop in Baton Rouge. He used to live in Shreveport and was very active with these groups. I'm sure he would be delighted to tell you all he knows since I would think more riding areas=more riders=more bikes and ATV's sold. I'm in Texas all this week or I'd do it and report back. Anybody else want to step forward?

Quick Reply: New riding area in Louisiana.