Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Lessons learned

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 11:31 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lessons learned

Well, after buying my first quad yesterday, I took it out to a local place in Woodstock, IL, where I know are some decent trails. I had a blast! There are some good hills and some wet mud puddles to watch for.

Here are some of the things I learned, being out there for the first time. I know most people on this forum has gone through all of this, but I am a first time ATVer.

1. I'm used to motocross bikes and usually stay on a track, so I don't have a lot of trail riding experience. Sometimes going over a hill before checking it out will make you wish you did. Not that I was riding too fast, just that I don't have reverse and on the other side was a large mud puddle, and I knew I was going to get wet. I have a Honda Sporttrax 400EX, and it's two wheel drive. I learned NOT to just power through it slowly. As soon as I got in the middle of it, I was stuck. Then had to drag it out.

2. First time out, I went by myself. Probably wasn't the best idea, because as many times as I got stuck, I wasn't sure I was going to get out. At least if I had someone else with me (boy I would have liked someone with four wheel drive at times), I would have spent less time getting stuck. Also, if I would have gotten hurt, that would have sucked too.

3. And last, I probably shouldn't have gone down trails I was unfamiliar with. There were a couple times I took some trails which the brush just so overgrown, I had to turn around. Found out when going through deep ruts with muddy water in them, even though I thought it would be fun to go through it, I would get stuck every time from the skid plate bottoming out. Yea... I wasn't thinking too much about that until I got stuck the second time. Then I found it was easier to stay on top of the ruts.

No bad experiences, but something different than riding my motorcross bikes on a track. Anyway, I would like to hear about some other learning experiences you people have had. Probably more interesting than mine. Like I said, I had a blast and I'm looking forward to more of that. Hopefully we can hook up and do some group rides.

Old 08-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Pro Rider
Default Lessons learned

Ah, the best lessons learned are the ones learned the hard way!! I went through every single situation you stated, great times! I'm still learning new things every time I ride. Its VERY important that you bring a buddy with you whenever you ride, just in case there's an injury! Also nice to have someone to help pull you out. Try to always have access to a chain or strap of some sort. Having a small tool kit in your vehicle or nearby also can be handy. Quads don't like to double as submarines, figured that one out too! Keep wieght on the front when climbing the steep stuff, and wieght on the rear when barreling down the steep stuff.(oh yeah, that helps!!!!!) #1 thing, if she starts to go, and you can't stop it, let it go. Very sad to see her roll down the hill, but not worth the injuries you can receive trying to stop the inevitable. just a few of many lessons learned. Have fun!!!!

Old 08-06-2003, 10:11 AM
Range Rover
Default Lessons learned

Dcode, where is the local in Woodstock you are referring too?

Thanks
L

Old 08-06-2003, 01:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Lessons learned

From route 14 going from Crystal Lake to Woodstock, you make a right turn on West Lake Shore Drive (Where Automatic Liquid Packaging was is now Cardinal Health). There is a dirt road (looks like they're getting ready to pave it) which goes to Patriot Paintball. Same entrance, there is a left turn down dirt road which takes you to the spot to ride.

Just make sure to keep in mind where the paintball field is, so you don't find yourself on their property (don't bother them, they won't bother you). I see a lot of Jeeps, ATV's, dirt bikes riding back there. Last year, I talked with some people riding back there and friends who have riden there and they've all said that place has been riden there for years, and there's never been a problem. Some people have said they've talked with the owners and as long as nobody is dumping junk, it's fine (there have been burnt out cars or snowmobiles dumped there in the past and are still there).

Just stay safe, and respect the property. And again, stay away from the paintball field.

Old 08-06-2003, 01:10 PM
Range Rover
Default Lessons learned

Dcode,

hehe paint *****....o.k. wait, it's quad time.

Thanks for the info, I hear your warning and appreciate the headsup!

Maybe we'll see ya around.

L

Old 08-06-2003, 01:26 PM
Pro Rider
Default Lessons learned

How big are the trails, how many miles? Etc?

Old 08-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Lessons learned

Not sure on the miles, or the trail details. It's pretty open with some good hills, and all the trails all kind of weave into each other, but stay in a central area. I'm still new there myself, so I have to adventure around a bit.