Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

SW Oklahoma Riding Out of Rattan

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2003, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SW Oklahoma Riding Out of Rattan

Just discovered this area last week and liked it. It was in the Honobia Creek and Three Rivers Wildlife Management Areas. Honobia Creek area is owned by the Hancock Timber Resource Group and Three Rivers is owned by Weyhouser Lumber Company. The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation (ODWC) works with both of these companies to enhance recreational use of these properties, although the primary use of these properties is for timbering. Honobia Creek emcompasses some 215,000 acres and Three Rivers is somewhat larger. We rode mostly in the Honobia Creek area and a little in the Three Rivers area. Enjoyed it all. There is terrain for the novice and for the ones that want a sportier ride. The area is covered with gravel roads, logging roads and trails that are passable only by ATV. Hills, rocks, rivers, creeks and some mudholes when it is raining. Unless you have a photographic memory for all the trails and roads, you will need a GPS to get back to your hauler. It is very easy to get lost is these areas. A $25.00 permit is required by the ODWC and I think it was well worth it. We (6 of us) rode 2 1/2 days.

We all have RV's (4) and stayed in Rattan at the 2J's Baldwin RV Park. It is new and is being developed by Doyle Baldwin. He is an elderly gent (like me) and the nicest fellow you could ever hope to meet. He has a great sense of humor and we really enjoyed him. The park has 8 widely spaced large sites with electric (30 & 50 amps) and water hookups. Doyle plans to have sewer hookups in the near future. His rate is $10.00/day and will probably go up a couple of bucks when he gets the sewer in. He also has plans and the room for a few more sites. Doyle introduced us to Ed Morse, another elderly gent that was a pleasure to visit with. Ed has lived in the area all his life and offered to guide us at no charge if we wanted him. However, we kind of like to do things on our own so we turned down his gracious offer. Doyle's park is located at the junction of Oklahome highways 3 and 93.

Doyle also has a pretty well stocked convenience store and a package store at the park. Gasoline is available at at least two places near the RV park. There is a couple of cafe's there but we did not check them out. We were the first customers at Doyle's new RV park. He got the mayor of Rattan out to meet us and she was a very friendly and gracious lady as was Doyle's wife, Carol. Doyle took pictures of all of us and our RV's and plans to use them in ads he plans to put in some of the local newspaper. Overall, we had an extremely pleasant experience in Rattan and in the riding areas.

We did have to haul out about 10 miles to where we started our rides from, but we did not consider that a problem. Three of us have flat bed trucks and the other folks hauled their's on racks in their truckbed. We are used to hauling to ride and can quickly and easily load and unload our wheelers.

Old 08-10-2003, 03:40 PM
Range Rover

GEEBEE
Is this new park right there by the Rattan Landing to Hugo Lake, where the other RV park is? If you dont have an updated map of Honobia, Hancock sold off a bunch of there holdings that were a part of the Honobia Creek WMA. Good Riding.

Old 08-12-2003, 10:01 PM
Trailblazer

okbow86,
2J's RV Park is right in the middle of downtown (sic) Rattan[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] on the SW corner of the junction of OK 3 & OK93.

Old 10-03-2003, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

Geebee,

I was in Rattan last weekend. I grew up in OKC but my grandparents lived in Rattan for as long as I can remember. I was down there Sept 27-28 and Rode in the area. WE have camped and fished there for many many years. This is a great place for all outdoor activies. I do want to give you a bit of a heads up about the area though. Be careful at certain times of the year. It's not so bad now but that region used to be a very very very active area for marijuanna farming and I suspect a good deal of it still goes on. So I strongly suggest travel in groups and take all "necessary precautions" if you know what I mean.

Bobman

Old 10-04-2003, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

Bobman,
Appreciate the heads ups. I am aware that we could possibly run into that problem. However, I do carry the necessary precaution, if you know what I mean.

GeeBee

Old 10-04-2003, 07:06 PM
Pro Rider

Has anyone talked to anyone about carrying the right stuff up there? I know its illegal in the National Forest section but never could get an answer in the TRWA or Honobia section.

Old 10-04-2003, 10:58 PM
Trailblazer

In such situations, carry concealed. You never want to make an issue out of being armed. Both OK and TX issue carry concealed permits and honor each others permits. In National Forests, carry concealed. I guess the feds could bust you for this, but, I had rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 10-05-2003, 12:25 AM
Pro Rider

I was talking specifically about concealed carry with a license. Its against federal law in the National Forest section, but in the Honobia and TRWMA I havent found anything about it. Heck not even the game wardens could answer my questions.

Man funny someone mentioned pot farming. I was watching a show on Discovery Channel about booby traps and they mentioned pot farmers setting booby traps....

Old 10-06-2003, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

AS for legalities of carrying firearms in Honobia Creek area I can say this. I think your Oklahoma (With Texas reciprocating) Concealed Carry license would be adequate. I personally do not have such a license but I really think in all honesty that if I carry a pistol and have all the appropriate fishing and land use permits I would not get into too much trouble. I don't go around brandishing the weapon nor do I plan to. I have always found Oklahoma law enforecement to be very fair and open minded (especially in rural areas) when it comes to firearms being carried by the public. As for the Honobia creek area out of Rattan and Couldy area I would say contact the Pushmataha County Attorney's office or sheriff's Dept. at 580-298-2475 for definitive information.

Bobman

Old 10-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Pro Rider

LATE OCTOBER RIDING... Hey is anyone going to be going down for black powder season? I am not going down to hunt but will be down there camping with friends who do. Anyone going to be down there doing any riding the last weekend of October???