Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Clark County and Black River Falls WI

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2003, 09:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clark County and Black River Falls WI

I have been to both BRF and Clark county trails for the last 20 years.

Yes BRF can get bumpy at times if they do not groom but overall the trails are fun. The fastest trail on BRF is on the West side of I-94 from Millston back up to BRF. There is a small rest area with a rushing stream as well as an overlook area for those willing to tackle the extremely washed out hill. This one trail just rocks, fast, woods, smooth (not loose sand) and not heavily travelled.

Clark county trails are also nice. I beg to differ regarding going up to Rock Dam Lake. That trail is also very nice. Trail allows for road, gravel, woods etc. Rock Dam Lake is a great place to stop, rest, fuel and eat. Only thing to watch for in Clark county is the ATV patrol. There are a few "play areas" that are off limits and people have a tendency to find them and play...only to find the Police right around the corner.

Old 08-27-2003, 09:48 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: jaybeecon55

#5 - The big black flies were out in force and were all gathering on your goggles causing the same lack of trail observation.

Jaybee

Wow funny you mentioned the black flies! They where monsters! So big they were slow. I was able to grab one by it wings.

Old 08-27-2003, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

wow.... If BRF is great - I know places that would turn you inside out!
Head up to the iron mine area in northern Minnesota near Virgina. There are places out their that make you wonder what planet you are on. 150 mile days without taking the same trail but out and back. GPS strongly recommended. Get the Garmin TOPO maps for the GPS and you will see where to go. checkout atvam.org for the upcoming fall ATV convention in Gilbert (near Virgina)

We go out to the Absarook Bear Tooth mountain range in the Montana Rockies. Extraordinary trails, indescribably fabulous wilderness scenery, big sky, ghost towns, breathtaking mountains with crystal blue lakes and moose and grizzly bear and ice cold streams from the 10,000 foot summits still covered with snow 5 weeks ago. It is without a doubt one of the greatest places on earth to ride ATV. Sport quads too!. lol</SPAN>

Old 08-27-2003, 09:02 PM
Range Rover

Hey Whodat,
I was thinking of getting a GPS unit. We have one on the rancher but it's no better then a compass with waypoints. I want something with maps. Are there trail maps you can download into a GPS unit? If so where do I find them?

Old 08-28-2003, 12:39 AM
Pro Rider

I use a Garmin GPSMAP 76S http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap76s/
The topo maps are fantastic - do not even think about not using them. http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/topo.jsp# click down into the maps to see the detail.
The 76S was selected becuase of its memory capacity. If you can afford the color models - go for it. I have all of northern MN and WI loaded. The maps are so detailed you have to choose regions to load.

These Topo maps are so accurate its unbelievable. The iron rails from the old ore mine "train tracks" have been removed and these make pretty awesome trails. Its hard to beleive that ore cars were pulled through some pretty rough terrain. But the tracks are on the map. And swamps, rivers, streams, paths, roads, elevations, towns etc. I often kid my buddies that that I could see the puddles if I zoomed enough.

I use a handlebar mount for the ATV - and another for the motorcycle. I use it in the truck and if I'm flying with someone who doesnt have one - so it gets used a lot.

I bought the gps, mounts and topo software off of gpsdiscount.com - very good prices.

Old 08-30-2003, 10:39 PM
Trailblazer

Ill be on the Clark county trails Sunday

Kevin