Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

So. Calif.-Ford Dry Lake OHV Area ??????

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2004, 07:50 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So. Calif.-Ford Dry Lake OHV Area ??????

I was looking at the BLM map, and this place is just about 1 mile north of the I-10, about half way between Desert Center and Blythe. Anybody know anything about it???? What's so special that it rates its own OHV area????

Old 01-13-2004, 11:11 PM
Pro Rider

Never heard of it. I got out my Delorme map book and found the place. That whole area has roads marked as 4wd and if they are legal atv trails it's a pretty big place.

I think I'll need to bring 4 qts of oil for this trip[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 01-14-2004, 10:04 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!

What the Delorme map doesn't show is all the WILDERNESS AREAS! The whole desert is covered with the **** things. Funny, I was looking at some BLM maps of Arizona, and didn't see a bunch of wilderness there. Whats the deal? Why do we in Calif. have to be locked out of all the best places, and not anybody else?

Old 01-14-2004, 08:34 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason for that is, in CA, people really don't appear to care. The key word there is appear. I know we all do care, but we don't show it to the people that matter.

After living in AZ for 10 years and then moving to CA, I can tell you that the poeple there are more organized and work harder to keep things open and available. There are more clubs and groups that work together to maintain and develop offroad areas and protect them from closure.

Here, people seem to be a bit more cliqueish and only worry about themselves. They definitely take it for granted and think it's someone elses problem. After going to Pismo and riding there, I've heard all of these people tell me how great and open it used to be. I hear that about all of the places out here.

I'm really tired of hearing this from people I meet in the offroad community. If you're serious about wanting places open and ensuring that they will be there for genereations to come, write a letter to your elected officials, attend land use meetings and make your voice heard. You know the "greenies" are sitting on their soapbox yelling as loud as they can. I've been to a few of these meetings and it's no wonder that the places are getting closed. We are given a chance to tell them leave it open, but choose to spend our time elsewhere. For every person that says please leave it open, there are at least 3 saying close it up.

I belong to organizations like CORVA and Cal 4 Wheel who are serious about fighting for their members rights to enjoy the wilderness. They cannot do this without support. Even if you never meet anyone from either of these groups, joining them is well worthwhile just to keep them lobbying for your right to ride where you want to.

Land use and land closure are serious issues that won't come free, you've got to want it more that the people who think you shouldn't. Don't come on here and b***h about it. You're preaching to the choir. If you want them to stay open, then tell the people that make the decisions. Get out there, write some letters, support the people that are fighting for you and make sure the decision makers know your opinion.