Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

So. Calif.-Jawbone Canyon and Dove Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So. Calif.-Jawbone Canyon and Dove Springs

Recon, I would think a sport bike would be the choice. I have never had a utility quad, but i think you could make most trails w/a sport. I bet there are some secondary roads that my be very rocky....if your back is up for it.

Old 02-03-2004, 01:49 PM
Pro Rider

reconranger- where did you camp and how far out of camp did you go?

We usaully camp at the old Bishop house ruins and graves, which is about half way between Jawbone Canyon rd and Dove Springs area. Yes there are whooped out trails, but that only for a couple of miles. We usually ride 15-25 miles out of camp to the west and then up a couple mountains rds at the end of the dirt trails, and then back along Jawbone rd. There is lots of different stuff to see... I've been there four times, all on motorcycle and next week will be the first time on quads. I know of a couple of trails that might just be wide enough for quads, but everything else was good. The best part for a lot of my friends is that it's only a couple hours drive from L.A. It's a seven hour drive for me and my Bay Area friends, but we'll be there, never the less.

Somebody was asking about that secret Honda facility off in the distance to the east....I've only see it from afar, and my L.A. buddy says it's one of their super secret facilities...kind of like an Area 51 for Honda....it looks huge.

Old 02-03-2004, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

There are a few secret testing facilities out there. They don't let you get too close!

Old 02-03-2004, 11:17 PM
Pro Rider

reconranger- where do you go that you like to ride??

Old 02-04-2004, 12:44 AM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like to ride-In the winter, Rasor Rd. is probably my favorite, but I like Ocotillo Wells very much also. In the summer, the trails up by Pinnacles in the San Bernardino Mtns. (currently closed because of the fire) and the Bishop/Mammoth area.

http://www.bokasmo.com/pages/ohv/cal...sor/index.html

http://www.bokasmo.com/pages/ohv/cal...lls/index.html

http://www.bokasmo.com/pages/ohv/cal...whd/index.html

http://www.bokasmo.com/pages/ohv/cal...hop/index.html

Bud-We staged from near Blue Mountain. Rode a loop up 251 and 123, then over on 124 to 176, and back on 176. About 25-30 miles, I would say. Then after some lunch, we explored a bunch of side canyons, looking for some technical terrain where Wiley Coyote could use the 4X4. Didn't really find much.

Old 02-04-2004, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

TRX450- Here Is a possible area of interest on your next ride out at Jawbone. There area some trails that take you to the WEst that hook up with Jawbone Canyon Rd, that start from the Jawbone/Bishop Graves/Dove Springs area. SOme of the Mountain routes are Not exactly designated for OHV use, but we like to push the rules......

There are miles and miles of roads and trails that extend well beyond the trail map given out by the rangers. I would offer that if you look at a Delorme map of SoCal and possibly some local or forest service maps you might get an idea of how far you can go from the Jawbone Dove Springs areas.
'
I don't remember the trail numbers you quoted and have long ago lost my trail map, so I don't exactly know the area you described, sorry.

I'll have to get me a new trail map when I get down there not this, but next weekend.

Old 02-04-2004, 02:58 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bud-Excellent trail map. You can get it at Jawbone station.

www.jawbone.org

Old 02-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Pro Rider

reconranger- Oooops I said trx450 but meant reconranger in my previous post......

Old 02-10-2004, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

Jawbone trip this coming weekend.

Our group will include three toy trailers and two small travel trailers, quads and bikes, and we'll be camping at the Bishop graves and ruins site.

First of the group arriving wednesday with people trickling in thru friday (when I get there).

Anybody in the mood to stop by, please do. Say Hi. Ask for Jeff, (that's me) I'll be in 20 Funrunner with camo P700 and Black w red flame raptor and a Honda dirt bike. Other riders on Warrior, V-Force, suz LT250, honda bikes, 250R (old one), KTMs etc...

I'm usually an easy touch for a beer.

Old 02-23-2004, 04:09 PM
Pro Rider

Well we went down to Jawbone Canyon a couple of weeks ago, over Presidents DAy weekend....

the first day there, friday the 13th after setting up camp, took the first ride of the weekend......and about an hour into the ride I managed to toss my self off the machine, letting it grab my right foot and rip me off the machine as it rolled the other way ......ouch.....well I was able to ride the rest of the weekend but barely.

The second days ride started at Bishop Graves sites where we camped and took 175 to 99 then to Dove Spring. Then took 328 to 47 thru the Joshua trees and down the canyon to Jawone Canyon rd. from there we took the rd north a couple miles to an unmarked rd on the left which took us up into the Bright Star Wilderness where we tried to hook up witht he loop thru French Meadow and Claraville sites but the road became too steep and loose for our whole party to overcome. Yeah we wanted to loop around to the mountain road and then back down to jawbone but have since heard that its works going the other way, up the mountain rd and then down thru Bright Star WIlderness, apperently going down all the steep stuff instead of up it. ANYway we ended up going out the way we came and then back down the paved jawbone canyuon rd to 103 which we then took back to Dove spring then 99 and 175 back to camp. that was about 63 miles. Even though we didn't get the trip we were trying to achieve it was a beautiful trip love the scenery...

Next day, rode 175 to Dove Spring open area, then under the hiway over to Red Rock Canyon and Last chance canyons trails, then up 5, 51, 56, 65, and 94 then back to camp. That was like 55 miles.

I have to say there were a lot of whoops but they change in size and location a couple times a year. I spoke to the ranger that checked my tags, on the way in, and he told me they had bladed 175, 176 and several other roads last year, and he said they were "as smooth as a babies bottom", but after the rains you would never know....

In fact we came across a group of riders on Saturday that had a two wheeler crash and couldn't feel his arms and legs, had one eye dialated more than the other....not good. we ended up calling 911 and arranged to have the sherrif meet them at those gps co-ordinates for evac...

Next time we wnat to check out the El Paso mountain wilderness and it's "EP" series of trails and maybe those over by Randsburg....all more trails on that map...

Oh Yeah, ended up going to the doctor on thursday after returning and can report only a sprained ankle and foot, bruised hip bone, more soft tissue damage to the back, arm, hip, leg and ankle and foot. the funny thing....is that my knee just had started hurting agin from the last crash in Sept, and I elected to bring my cane in case it was needed.........ended up carrying it in my rack bad the rest of the weekend.

Quick Reply: So. Calif.-Jawbone Canyon and Dove Springs