Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

So. Calif.-Jawbone Canyon and Dove Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So. Calif.-Jawbone Canyon and Dove Springs

In all these years, this is one place I have never been. Any advice??? Where to camp? What are the good riding areas? Thanks!

Old 01-22-2004, 08:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jawbone Canyon and DOve SPrings are one of my favorite places to ride. It has quite a few miles of good trails all starting form some interconnecting roads built and maintained by the Los Angeles water Aquaduct owners, some big utility.

Driving North on Hwy 14 from Mohave, take the first paved road on your left, I think it's Jawbone Canyon road. Less than a mile down the road on the right side are numbered dirt roads, I think the second one on the right takes you right past the aquaducts, under, up and over them for several miles to Dove SPrings, which is the next dirt road to the north on hwy 14. Note that Red Rock area has paved roads in the RV parking (for the more civilized types who don't want to get their rigs dirty) area. This Red Rock area is between the Jawbone and Dove Springs areas. THere are hundreds of places to camp along that aquaduct road, as well as dozens of trails off to the west. Dove Springs (there is a sign for both the Dove SPrings and Jawbone areas off 14) is a dirt rode into a sandy bowl/camping area that has numerous trails radiusing out in all directions.

The Trails are all great, not difficult, and only a few, approach being narrow for quads. There are a few trails to the west that take you through just awsome rock canyons and views as you navigate the trails. The trails are mostly loose dirt with very few rocks and quite a bit of sand thru the washes.

I am planning possibly two trips down there the first two weekends of Feb. I will make one trip for sure.

Old 01-23-2004, 02:22 PM
Pro Rider

Reconranger, I just happen to have the weekend of 31st/1st off. If you want to do a recon of the area, I'll drive.

Old 01-23-2004, 03:42 PM
Pro Rider

Just heard from buddies, we'll be going feb 13-16.

Old 01-23-2004, 04:39 PM
Pro Rider

I'll likely have the 15th and 16th off. You want to try and meet there? Will you be riding the Prairie?

Old 01-23-2004, 05:00 PM
Red Rider

I would be up for a ride on the 31st. Isn't the 1st the Super Bowl???

Old 01-23-2004, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Uhh, I guess. Once the Packers were out, I stopped caring. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

You want to try for the 31st? It sounds good to me.

Trending Topics

Old 01-23-2004, 07:44 PM
Red Rider

I don't care about the Super Bowl either, but Karen has dictated that we are going to a party, so I have no choice! Saturday would be great. I'll see if anybody else wants to go too.

Old 01-24-2004, 12:49 PM
Trailblazer

I'd like to get in on this if I can. I really like riding at Dove. It's fun and not that far away.

Old 01-24-2004, 01:00 PM
Red Rider

Great! We can use a trail guide. Give us directions on where to meet. Everybody is always welcome!

Quick Reply: So. Calif.-Jawbone Canyon and Dove Springs