Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

So. Calif.-Jawbone Canyon and Dove Springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 04:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So. Calif.-Jawbone Canyon and Dove Springs

Well we went down to Jawbone Canyon a couple of weeks ago, over Presidents DAy weekend....

the first day there, friday the 13th after setting up camp, took the first ride of the weekend......and about an hour into the ride I managed to toss my self off the machine, letting it grab my right foot and rip me off the machine as it rolled the other way ......ouch.....well I was able to ride the rest of the weekend but barely.

The second days ride started at Bishop Graves sites where we camped and took 175 to 99 then to Dove Spring. Then took 328 to 47 thru the Joshua trees and down the canyon to Jawone Canyon rd. from there we took the rd north a couple miles to an unmarked rd on the left which took us up into the Bright Star Wilderness where we tried to hook up witht he loop thru French Meadow and Claraville sites but the road became too steep and loose for our whole party to overcome. Yeah we wanted to loop around to the mountain road and then back down to jawbone but have since heard that its works going the other way, up the mountain rd and then down thru Bright Star WIlderness, apperently going down all the steep stuff instead of up it. ANYway we ended up going out the way we came and then back down the paved jawbone canyuon rd to 103 which we then took back to Dove spring then 99 and 175 back to camp. that was about 63 miles. Even though we didn't get the trip we were trying to achieve it was a beautiful trip love the scenery...

Next day, rode 175 to Dove Spring open area, then under the hiway over to Red Rock Canyon and Last chance canyons trails, then up 5, 51, 56, 65, and 94 then back to camp. That was like 55 miles.

I have to say there were a lot of whoops but they change in size and location a couple times a year. I spoke to the ranger that checked my tags, on the way in, and he told me they had bladed 175, 176 and several other roads last year, and he said they were "as smooth as a babies bottom", but after the rains you would never know....

In fact we came across a group of riders on Saturday that had a two wheeler crash and couldn't feel his arms and legs, had one eye dialated more than the other....not good. we ended up calling 911 and arranged to have the sherrif meet them at those gps co-ordinates for evac...

Next time we wnat to check out the El Paso mountain wilderness and it's "EP" series of trails and maybe those over by Randsburg....all more trails on that map...

Oh Yeah, ended up going to the doctor on thursday after returning and can report only a sprained ankle and foot, bruised hip bone, more soft tissue damage to the back, arm, hip, leg and ankle and foot. the funny thing....is that my knee just had started hurting agin from the last crash in Sept, and I elected to bring my cane in case it was needed.........ended up carrying it in my rack bag the rest of the weekend.

Old 02-28-2004, 09:00 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So. Calif.-Jawbone Canyon and Dove Springs

Going to Jawbone, El Paso 2/29/04. And tell everyone I went on a leap year day..... Hahahaha, anyway this will be the 4th time this year, having a blast. Has anyone heard of a hill called billy goat???? It is closer to Randsburg than Jawbone. Crazy *** hill.