Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

MINNESOTA RIDERS!! Bauer's pit in trouble!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MINNESOTA RIDERS!! Bauer's pit in trouble!!!

It was rumored that "a new offroad park near Northfield" was the real reason that the Bauer's Pit closure was esculated to how sudden it was. The timeliness did seem very unusual and suspect ... sounds like political motivation. If you can't compete, then make friends with the sheriff's dept. and have your competitor shut down.

What else did it say on the New Prague paper? Regardless of what happened politically at Bauer's, it still will be nice to have a LOCAL place to ride. Any info you can pass on would be appreciated!

Old 06-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

thats a bummer bout bauer's. that was a cool place. so what is up with this new place? has anybody gone there or is anybody planning on going there?

Old 06-21-2004, 11:44 PM
Trailblazer

Nothing, just a number and address. and a tip to goto mapquest to get directions.

17085 Donaldson is the addy. Is that north or south of Faribault?

The phone number is 507-334-5298

And no this is not my deal, I just saw the paper. It was printed in a way that leads me to belive that they made a bunch and are sticking them all over.

Old 06-21-2004, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer

that sounds interesting. great [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] timing doesn't it?

Old 06-21-2004, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm, well scratch that theory. 17085 Donaldson and that telephone number is for Roy Bauer of none other than Bauer's pit.

Old 06-22-2004, 01:08 AM
Trailblazer

OHHHH WTF. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-22-2004, 02:18 AM
Pro Rider

ROFLMAO[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

So now where Do we Ride???????

Blah........................................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-22-2004, 11:29 AM
Pro Rider

The thought has crossed my mind on "what would happen" if Roy just "invited" people over to go wheeling for free, and then people just plop down a donation if they want -- completely optional. I don't see how that could really be regulated at all.

However, I'll probably hang back and see what'll happen with attempts of getting the DNR to bless it. Like Dave said, I think it's the only option. No doubt, things need to change at Bauer's for it to be safe. Alcohol and drugs are out of the question. At least helmets should be mandatory or you don't get in. Perhaps section off the pit into different areas for only ATVs, only Trucks, and only Dirt bikes.

It's safe to say that I'm not happy with the county's position on just "quick, close it down" without at least putting a 2 bit effort into trying to find other places for us to go, or help reach a compromise at all. While we have the local DNR Scrambling Area nearby for us ATVers, that leaves the truck/4x4 enthusiasts and dirt bikes hanging big time. All this leads to more people leaving the city/county and going elsewhere on the weekends.

Old 06-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Range Rover

Hey there Brian...

The last time I was down to the pit, Roy and I talked about the possibility of the "invitation/optional donation" thing. The first problem, and probably the most obvious, would be the donations. As with almost everything on the "honor system", there are going to be those that just won't donate. And I hate to say it, but that seems to be very prevelant (sp?) these days. Before I get nailed here.... Chances are very good most would donate. But.... Like in any group, there will be some scumbags that are the "something for nothing" types. How long would Roy, or even you, put up with that? As far as a "invitation only" situation like that being "regulated".... All that would be needed is a zoning change. Something to the effect of the pit being within "city limits". If they don't allow offroading within those limits...... No riding at the pit.

My guess is that the local government sees the almighty dollar going to a nice old guy and wants their share in a BIG way. Roy, in the eyes of the observing powers, has a "business" going and they'll do anything necessary to get their fingers in the bowl. Taxes, permits, zoning laws all come into play here and without some form of political support, let's face it, Roy and the pit are screwed. With some regulation, Bauer's pit would be a gold mine for all parties concerned. Money for the city/county/state (taxes, permits...) AND a few sheckles for Roy. Not to mention a place for us to ride. It's a WIN-WIN situation with proper regulation.

I sort of like the "anything goes" feeling down at Bauer's. I feel that the government already regulates all of us to death. But, in my opinion, Bauer's would need to be made safer and more "neighbor friendly" for the pit to continue. Mandatory helmets is a good start. Drugs and alcohol..... While riding??!!! ahhhh......NO. Sectioning off the pit I don't think would work. Besides... I really like the varied terrain. What about set hours of operation? A "maximum capacity" to regulate the number of riders/drivers per day? Days that are basically closed for any riding what so ever? Club members, sponsers or whoever "policing" the area during operation? At this time, these could all be moot points, but to get a little we'd have to give a little.

If Roy's pit does close down, I'll be sorry to see it go. Although I've only been there a few times, each and every time out has been a blast!! For me as well as my family and friends. If there's anything I can do to help "the cause", just ask.

Old 06-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Trailblazer

even if roy just "invited" people and those people just gave him "donations" then couldn't they still get him to not let anyone to ride because he is "desterbing" the peace or something like that?
that would be a good idea to seperate it (if it ever gets reopened) but instead of atv's, trucks, and dirtbikes they should do something like, atv's and dirtbikes getting 65-70% and the trucks getting like 35-25% of the land. and having atv's and dirtbikes together. because i, along with lots of other people, dirtbike and atv or like to ride with others that dont bike but atv or vice versa.
also, they SHOULD give us other places to ride like bauer's. sure there are tracks scattered around and some trails, but what if you just wanna ride and dont have a spark arrester for the trails which you wouldn't be alowed on anyways cuz they're for atv's or dirtbikes only. we need places to ride like bauer's just places to freeride.

Quick Reply: MINNESOTA RIDERS!! Bauer's pit in trouble!!!