Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Lake Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2005, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lake Tahoe

Hello All,

Ok, here's a question (and I've done a search on Tahoe and didn't find anything, maybe the search engine doesn't work?).

My wife and I would like to do a tour, preferably in the Tahoe area, but it doesn't have to be there.

Here's how we would like the 2-3 day tour to go:
Ride all day, see beautiful scenery, mid-easy trails (my wife doesn't have that much experience yet) then ride right up to a nice resort/hotel/b&b, spend the night, and do it all over again the next day, and eventually loop back to the truck.
Does anyone know someplace like this in California?

I heard of a snowmobile tour company in Tahoe that does something like this (they have their own cabins, and the guides cook dinner for the 2 couples (max) that go). Does anyone know of this company as well?

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2005, 05:17 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Lake Tahoe

Is this what your referring too?

atv tours

That's also where the World famous Rubicon trail is[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Have friends who have done it, but I haven't[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] Maybe someday[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-09-2005, 12:49 PM
Trailblazer
Default Lake Tahoe

Yeah, I'm working with them already, but I haven't determined yet if they offer anything more than a 1 day ride up and back the rubicon.
I was looking for something more than 1 day, and maybe something a little less challenging for the wife...

Old 01-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Range Rover
Default Lake Tahoe

Do you have your own quads? I know of an area where you can ride as much as you want, the pipi valley. Which is off of hwy 88, on the way to tahoe. There is a resort, the sopiago springs resort down in the valley. I've never been there, but it might be worth checking out. There's also Bear river resort on hwy 88, they have cabins for rent. You can ride your quad right out of the resort and access alot of trails from there. The trails and roads down in the pipi valley are probably a little more suited for your wife. I've got a loop i ride that goes about 45 miles with a swimming hole mixed in, down in pipi valley. My wife is just learning to ride also, this is where i've been taking her. Haven't had much luck lately though. The snow fall is just tremendous this year.

Old 01-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default Lake Tahoe

That sounds more like it, riding and a resort.
I'll have to look into those places...
Thanks!

Old 01-10-2005, 02:23 AM
Quad Patrol
Default Lake Tahoe

regor, That's sounds like a heck of a place to ride[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] what's the elevation? I've only been on Hwy 88 a couple of times and remember a few places along the way. Right now, it probably is sitting under a few feet of snow. I also saw in your pictures you riding in snow[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Forest Service doesn't frown on it? I know along 108/120 they do[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]Snowmobiles only[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 01-10-2005, 04:36 AM
Range Rover
Default Lake Tahoe

Hey Dan, I ride up there all year long, as long as you can get down into the valley. They don't clear the roads, except up to the resort. There are a few people that live in the valley. The elevations range from 3500 - 7600, at the top of my favorite loop there is a fire lookout. Leek spring, it set's right at 7600. My riding buddy Jim, has a website with alot of pictures of the area on it. Go to atvs.home.comcast.net look under the headings of pipi valley, or elkins flat. Alot of the other pictures on his site are taken in a area nearby, off of the immigrant trail. He also has pictures from the bear river area. There is a real neat trail there that goes real high, and eventually takes you to silver lake. You can't get into that area until july usually, the snow is just too deep. I'd be happy to give you some good directions, and some specifics on the trails. The next time i go up to pipi, i make it a point to stop at the resort, and pick up some info.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:14 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Lake Tahoe

Originally posted by: regor
Do you have your own quads? I know of an area where you can ride as much as you want, the pipi valley. Which is off of hwy 88, on the way to tahoe. There is a resort, the sopiago springs resort down in the valley. I've never been there, but it might be worth checking out. There's also Bear river resort on hwy 88, they have cabins for rent. You can ride your quad right out of the resort and access alot of trails from there. The trails and roads down in the pipi valley are probably a little more suited for your wife. I've got a loop i ride that goes about 45 miles with a swimming hole mixed in, down in pipi valley. My wife is just learning to ride also, this is where i've been taking her. Haven't had much luck lately though. The snow fall is just tremendous this year.
When I ride outof pipi valley I stay at the Elkin's Flat staging area, a few miles past the pipi river side campground.

Old 01-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Trailblazer
Default Lake Tahoe

Pipi Valley, Silver Lake, Bear River, Bear River Resort, Sopiago Springs Resort, this area sounds great!

So you can literally ride from both of these resorts onto all of these trails (in the summer)?

laketahoeadventures.com got back to me, they do offer a guided 3 day tour of the Rubicon and beyond, complete with all meals and private tent setups and cooked meals, using our quads, for $950 per person, minimum 2 couples. That seems kind of a lot, but is not out of the question.

I'd rather spend the nights in a cozy cabin with a bed, since I know my wife (and I to a certain extent) don't sleep too well in tents (we're just not used to it).

Thanks for the advice!

P.S. - I tried the abovementioned link: www.atvs.home.comcast.net and it didn't work?

Old 01-10-2005, 02:10 PM
Quad Patrol
Default Lake Tahoe

regor, thanks for the information. I'll put that on my on my list of places to try and ride this summer[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] And after all these storms, they probalby are sitting under a deeeepppp blanket of snow. They were saying higher elevations were looking at upt 20 feet of snow. Kirkwood usually has real deep snow[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Gusin, I got it to load up[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] try again. rescue

Quick Reply: Lake Tahoe