Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Looking for some good Trails near Sonora, CA

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005 | 12:25 AM
|
Range Rover
Default Looking for some good Trails near Sonora, CA

Normally I ride in the dunes but I would like to try out some trail ridding. I know there are a lot of places near where I live but I dont know where they are. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Old 05-16-2005 | 02:27 AM
Quad Patrol

You basically have the whole Sierra Mountian range[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Just outside Twain Harte off of Italian Bar road, Youhave trails there, There are trails just outside Long Barn, Tuolumne City, Standard, by Cherry lake. All those are off of Hwy 108. And we haven't even touched the area above Strawberry. You need to get the Stanislaus National Forest Map from the Ranger Station by Mi-Wuk, you will be amazed[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] at all the areas within 30 mins of you. And, I didn't even mention any places off of Hwy 120[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 05-16-2005 | 01:09 PM
|
Range Rover

Will the map pin point the trails? Even though I live here I dont know the area above Twain Harte too well.

Old 05-17-2005 | 12:02 AM
Quad Patrol

It will not pin point the roads for you. You need to know how to read the map. Another good map (although not as good as a service map) is the Tuolumne and Calveras County map. I bought mine at the service station at RawHide and Hwy 108 in Jamestown[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I think it's a B&P. Anyways, it cost $1.50 and it has both counties on the map. It also includes the Stanislaus Nat'l Forest. While it doesn't have all the forest service roads, it does have alot of the ones you can ride on. When you look at the map, find the forest borders. Then, pretty much all the dashed line roads are open to ohvs[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Also, check out the map legend for road descriptions too.

Old 05-18-2005 | 11:32 AM
|
Range Rover

Son does anyone have a favorite spot or trail off of 108?

Old 05-18-2005 | 11:46 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!

I used to ride near Twaine harte all the time, It has been a while though. I took 108 and took the twaine harte exit. Drove to the town of twaine harte and went under the arch. followed that road until I got to south fork rd and turned left. The road will turn to dirt once away from town. follow the road until you get to the bridge, approx 3-4 miles. once across the bridge take the road to the left (climbs along the river) and follow it for about 3 miles. At this point you will reach a sort of clearing and the road will split. You want to go straight and park there or farther in. That road you came in on is a county road and they will ticket anything with out street registration.

Old 05-19-2005 | 01:54 AM
Quad Patrol

MWQ, Sounds like the area/county road your describing, is Italian Bar Road. Haven't ridden my quads there, have been there a few times looking at property. I have seen the county Sheriff on the road a couple of times. So, it is patrolled.

Old 05-19-2005 | 01:57 AM
Quad Patrol

ET, I would like to get up to Deer Creek area and ride some up there. I've ridden a lot by the game refuge near Beardsley Lake. But, have come in from Dorrington/Hwy 4 side.

Old 05-19-2005 | 02:15 AM
Range Rover

I've also come in to beardsley lake from the hwy 4 side, there's miles and miles of fs roads to ride. To get there from the 108 side, you take the exit for beardsley lake, a couple of miles down on your right, you'll see 5n06. This will take you all the way down to the stanislaus river. On the way down you'll see a helicopter pad. The road to the right there will take you to donnells lake. If you go all the way down to the river, you'll be able to access all the forest land to hwy 4. I would stop at the ranger station and buy a stanislaus nf map. You'll also cross a marked ohv route on the way down to the river. I never rode that side of the river, so i can't tell you what the trails are like, but it's beautiful country. I know this area from many years of fishing the river. I have plans of spending a week this summer checking out the whole area, especially higher up on 108.

Old 05-19-2005 | 02:37 PM
Quad Patrol

Regor, I've traveled Hwy 108 plenty of times going over the Pass to Bridgeport. It is beautiful country with a lot of camping sites along the highway. If you are towing a camper trailer, make sure it's not too long. Once you get above Kennedy Meadows, it gets pretty twisty with a lot of switchbacks. . I forget what the max. recommended length of trailer from king pin to back of trailer is(I think it's like 26 feet). Traveled over it one time with our 21 foot motorhome[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] Coming down both ways, it was 1 st gear only, to save the brakes[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Looking for some good Trails near Sonora, CA