Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

1st trip to Hatfield McCoy

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2000, 05:16 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Three or four of us are going to the Hatfield McCoy trail system for the first time on Thanksgiving. I don't know much about it. I saw some of the other posts on this site, and downloaded the maps. Any suggestions? We will only be there for one day. Is that enough time to ride all of the trails? If not, do you have any recomendations of which trails to hit first? We will be bringing 2 green Rubicons, 1 Red rancher, and 1 Kodiak. If you see us on the trails looking a little lost, say Hey!

Old 11-18-2000, 01:47 PM
Range Rover

For a one day trip I would go to the Rock House Trail Head. It is the biggest of the loops and has a good selection of trails.
Wayne B

Old 11-18-2000, 04:43 PM
Pro Rider

We'll see ya there. WayneB rides a Kawasaki 400, David Sink rides a Suzuki 500, and I have the Rubicon (mine is red). Heck, if you see us, runs with us (WayneB has been there before, so he's proven he can get back to the trailers....

Old 11-19-2000, 01:07 AM
Weekend Warrior

I would also suggest Rockhouse Trail for a one day trip to Hatfield/McCoy. Wayne and I rode the entire loop on trails 10 and 12. If I remember correctly, it is about 50 to 55 miles for the entire loop. Is that right Wayne? This loop will provide some challenge, but, it is not for first timers. I live about three miles off the trail and have ridden it for many years. Weather is supposed to be around the mid 40s and no rain or snow. Bring all your friends and come expecting to ride the best trails in the East.
Oh, yes, I would also suggest taking a cell phone, we have had some problems locating some riders who have either broken down on the trail or for one reason or another, needed help.
Looking forward to meeting all the new riders who come here.
K.A. Simpson
AKA Big Daddy Trail Boss

Old 11-23-2000, 04:20 AM
Range Rover

Thanks for the post RubiconBob. I will try to keep an eye out for you guys. We will be on a Red Rancher and at least 2 green Rubicons. We all have helmet mounted radios on.

Rick

'01 Rancher 4x4ES

Old 11-25-2000, 02:20 AM
Range Rover

We just got back from the Hatfield-McCoy trail. I'm sorry we didn't get to hook up with any of you on the rockhouse trail. We were coming from Kentucky, and were pushed a little for time, stopped by the local Honda shop in Williamson, and ended up following their advice and went to Buffalo Mountain trail.

I appreciate your replies to my post. I hope we can maybe hook up the next time we come over. I'm pretty sure that we will be back.

We put about 55 miles on today. Started at the trail head, did pretty much all the loops that were open and headed to Matewan to gas up and make the ride back across. The trail started out a little weak, but about halfway across got to be pretty good. The two black sections(the most difficult) were not quite what we expected. People on the trail confirmed what you said about hitting the other trails for a little more challenging ride. All in all, it was a good experience and I can't wait to get back and check out the Rockhouse trail....

Oh yeah,....I saw a bobcat for the first time. Pretty cool.....

Rick

'01 Rancher4x4ES