Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Check out Google Earth Maping software

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 01:42 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check out Google Earth Maping software

If you haven't tried Google Earth, Its worth the time to download and try it out. Its a mapping software that uses satellite images overlaid by road data. Its also go height data so you can look at a 3d relief map of anywhere in the world.

The most heavily populated areas are in high resolution. Some areas high enough to see the color of the car in your driveway. All of NJ is in Hi Res but only selected sections on PA. Philadelphia for example. Just a handful of rural areas in high res. By the way, the high res images are sharp enough that I have found trails too narrow for my ATV. Yes, you can spot single track trails in NJ. O M G ! The sandy trails appear as white so they are pretty easy to see. Most of the images appear to be winter or early spring when there are no leaves on the trees. So that helps in finding trails in the woods too. Be aware they are not current or live images. They appear to be on average 2 years old.

I've never used it on dial-up so I couldn't tell you how slow it would be. I know it runs pretty well on cable modem but you still have to wait for it sometimes. You also need a reasonably fast PC to have an enjoyable experience with it. a good graphics card couldnt hurt either.

Good Luck. Check out your favorite riding places from the air!