Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

day trips in Ca??

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default day trips in Ca??

Hey everyone, long time reader, first time poster:
I have been getting back into the scene but it seems like everywhere to go is no good. We have two sport quads, honda trx250ex, and last weekend we went to gilman springs. I think that is what its called, over by the 60. Anyways I have heard from some people that it is illegal to ride there, some people say its just fine, others say it is soon to become a legal park, whats the real story on this spot, also what can come from riding there? Last week we had no troubles with police, rode from like 10 till 5, lots of people out there setting up day-camps. The only reason I ask is because we had lots of fun, there are alot of good burms and jumps out there and some good hill climbing and short trails, and we are thinking about going back tomarrow, please give me your thoughts and feedback, also if it is illegal are they other good places close by that a 250ex can handle?
Thanks so much for all your help.
Keston

PS I know this has been talked about before but I couldn't find any definate answers.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:45 PM
Weekend Warrior

we ride alot in jawbone canyon or dove springs just north of mojave ca. hungry valley (Gorman CA) is a good place to ride also, but the elevation is 4000ft so for some might cause a prob. good luck!

Old 03-16-2007, 01:24 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, I live in LL too!

Actually, a large part of the south hills behind town is private property, and a friend of mine and riding budy owns most of it! If you can get back there without getting a ticket for riding on the street, he isn't going to care at all if you are back there. The law says you need WRITTEN permission from the landowner to ride on private property. He isn't going to give you that because of liability reasons, but if you are back there he sure isn't going to call the Sheriff on you....and how would they catch you anyway????

Gilman is in Riverside Co., and they have a blatently anti-off road ordinance. You can get a very expensive ticket riding there!

If you are looking for people to ride with or new places, we have an infomal group that has someone going somewhere almost every weekend. We did Ocotillo Wells last weekend, San Bernardino Mountains tomorrow morning (http://forums.atvconnection.com/mess...did/513660.cfm), and Ocotillo again the 23-25th (looks like the desert riding season is coming to an early end!).

You are welcome to join us any time......... reconranger@adelphia.net

Old 03-16-2007, 03:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks so much for all the info!!!
I have heard the fines in riverside CO can get pretty hefty, i dont think i want to risk it. A question on the Loma Linda hills, can you get access to this area from Mt. View ave? Or is it the street that dead ends with the water towers? Also is there a private area to set-up a small "base-camp?" After work today I am going to check out the area behind the park on Mt. view.
The trails around arrowhead and silverwood may be a little to technical for our group, I think I would like a 4 x 4 for that trip, but it definatly sounds like a fun ride!!! Thanks agian for all the info!
Keston

PS I got a question to ask you guys about whitewater, but ill make a new post about that.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:52 PM
Red Rider
Honda, accept nothing less!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, the lower portion of the Silverwood/Arrowhead trails is all fire roads, that an advanced beginner could handle. Up top, there is a little tight single track that will take you over to Pinnacles staging area, and from there it is all fire roads to Deep Creek. You only need 4wd when you go out on the single track trails and deliberately go looking for terrifying terrain. Miller Canyon is great fun when it snows!

Actually, driving up to Pinnacles and staging from there is nice if you have kids and beginners. There is a pretty big parking lot where the kids can ride around if they aren't ready for a big ride, or you can do the ride to Deep Creek or Devil's Hole if you are looking for a tour.

I get into the hills on Richardson Ave., and it is pretty risky. I usually ride one of my quieter machines to stay stealthy. You can get in behind the park on Mt. View, but again it is risky. We use to stage out at the mouth of the canyon, because he owned that land too. I heard it got sold, but I will check and let you know.....

Whitewater is Riverside Co., so just forget it too! It use to be so nice in the old days. We would be sitting around and just decide spontaneously to do a ride out there and hop in the truck and be there in 30 minutes, ride a couple hours, then run back home.

Where do you live? I am on Lawton just west of Benton. You probably have seen my trailer out on the street sometimes.