Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

NEW Puget Sound/Seattle/Northwest area riders MEET HERE!!! thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think I'd be checking the local laws and find out what the options really are. Maybe a quiet exhaust system and you're legal. If they have a horse that can't stand noise they may have to build him a sound proof stall.

I've had horses that would come see what you were doing when using a chainsaw.

Mike

Old 11-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've checked with the 2 Sheriff's I know. They tell me as long as I'm under 99db and it's before 10.00 pm I'm legal. I don't care about the neighbors, I just don't want to scare the horses. I think they would get used to it if I ride around slow for a while. Bullet-proofing the horses makes them safer to ride. The other neighbor said they called on him also. Told me they were difficult pepole to live by. Sheriff came and asked him to keep it quiet but said it was not illeagal to ride.

Old 11-26-2010, 11:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

No sense starting a range war, no one wins in those. Not that hard to keep the noise level down and since the area has no covenants forbidding riding you've solved the problem.

Horses get used to noise very quickly. I've had many that would not even flinch when you fired a rifle off or around them. Took them awhile to get used to it but they will.

I suspect the people that have the horses are less knowledgeable about them than they should be. To complain in that manner is silly IMO.

Mike

Old 11-27-2010, 10:33 AM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

HEY PSAR hope you all had a GREAT turkey day we sure did, now it's time to get the trees & lights up YAY

Tony, i bet once that horse got used to the noise it'd probably run next to you i used to have a little Arab that ran next to the train tracks when the trains went by, she waited for it haha sucks that your neighbor is like that

TC great to see you pop back on here I was beginning to wonder sounds like all is good your way

Old 11-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

Hi DM!

Yup, things are excellent over this way. We're having the second Thanksgiving today, going to be, at last count anyway, 14 people, three cats and eight dogs here.

Tonight our youngest son's fiancee and her two sons are showing up. These boys are super nice kids, the one is going in the Air Force in February so we won't have him around for long. The other is 15 and fun to be around. Four of these boys friends are helping with the move and will be here for the night as well. Going to be a full house for sure. Been a long time since we had a bunch of teen age boys in the house. Looking forward to it.

We got above freezing this morning which is like a heat wave compared to the past week or so. Little new snow on top of the quarter inch of freezing rain we had last night. Mighty slick this morning.

I've been informed we will be starting with the Christmas decorations next Wednesday or Thursday. Three Christmas trees inside and one outside according to the last I heard. No telling how many miles of lights, garlands, foliage things, bells and the like.

At least all the pumpkins, corn stalks and such will be done with for this year. The pumpkins will be gutted, sliced, baked, peeled and frozen for winter use. We'll probably dry some for pumpkin flakes. Couple of varieties really taste more like squash than most pumpkins.

Guests showing up. You all have a great weekend. I pity all you that have to go back to work next week. (sarcasm) 8>)

Mike

Old 11-29-2010, 11:55 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Had a great time at Winchester over Turkey Day weekend!
Too bad you couldn't make it Tony, I left the furnace running in my camper all the way down on Tuesday and Wednesday. Ran one propane bottle completely empty.
Had hail on the dunes and I was told that it snowed on the dunes all day on Tuesday, quite a sight to see I'm sure.

Old 11-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Ten,
Glad to see you pop in.
Don't be too much of a stranger.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Preach it Brother!!! ;)

Originally Posted by Dazeys
I've checked with the 2 Sheriff's I know. They tell me as long as I'm under 99db and it's before 10.00 pm I'm legal. I don't care about the neighbors, I just don't want to scare the horses. I think they would get used to it if I ride around slow for a while. Bullet-proofing the horses makes them safer to ride. The other neighbor said they called on him also. Told me they were difficult pepole to live by. Sheriff came and asked him to keep it quiet but said it was not illeagal to ride.
Tony, it's actually a good thing you have some concern for the horses and those neighbors are not very bright to recognize it. As a quad riding horse owner, I appreciate people like you greatly since I have seen others that don't give a flying crap about the animal's fear and one that thought it was funny to push it. He didn't push too far or too long after I caught him, but I digress....

They should welcome you helping desensitize their horses to quads and motor noise. It will make them safer all around. I would say ride normally but along that fenceline, go a little slower until the horses get the idea that the noise is not going to kill them and if they spook, turn away from them, but don't turn the quad off or stop. Don't sneak or baby them or they will feel the predator/prey thing kick in. If what scares them turns away, it isn't hunting them. They might run, but Kym is right, they might actually start to play with you and run along as you ride. Mine buck and play when I ride around here.

And the neighbors will just have to learn to compromise about their demands on what you do on your property.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jayna, Nice to see you on here. I havn't rode the Banshee since they complained. The grandkids ride thier quads, but they told my wife the horses weren't scared of the smaller quads. I think the scream of the 2 stroke is what scares them.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:24 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Preach it Brother!!! ;)

Originally Posted by Dazeys
Jayna, Nice to see you on here. I havn't rode the Banshee since they complained. The grandkids ride thier quads, but they told my wife the horses weren't scared of the smaller quads. I think the scream of the 2 stroke is what scares them.
Yeah, that's probably true. Banshees annoy me, too.

Hey, I have a wounded F250 that blew the spark plug out of cylinder 8 again. It did this at the beginning of the year and I learned that it's a known defect in the 5.4L motor where Ford didn't build the heads with deep enough threads and they are prone to blowing out spark plugs. Even better that they designed it so there is a coil on each plug, so it blows that part off, too.
I changed the coil once and then it blew it out again in a week, so I did some research to figure out what was going on and learned it is bigger than I can work on.
Not sure I have the funding to just replace the head completely, but I need the thing re-threaded again. The shop I had do it last year is out of business, of course, so if your shop could work on it, I would prefer to give the business to a friend rather than having to track down another random shop and hope for the best.
I can have it towed in if you let me know the name of your shop, etc. and I can call and schedule. I am looking to get it done this week sometime. It's not my only vehicle, but I need it up and running to haul the trailer. LMK.

Quick Reply: NEW Puget Sound/Seattle/Northwest area riders MEET HERE!!! thread