Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

NEW Puget Sound/Seattle/Northwest area riders MEET HERE!!! thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:21 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW Puget Sound/Seattle/Northwest area riders MEET HERE!!! thread

Good Morning PSAR

Old 10-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

Bankers hours today, off to the gym, everybody have a great day [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2008, 09:44 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Mornin' PSAR

Old 10-28-2008, 10:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Preach it Brother!!! ;)

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HappaRap

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: LdyJay Unions are important for everyone. Not just the members.
And there are two surefire ways to start a passionate argument with friends or family and that is to bring up religion or politics.
And again, I hope the machinists get a good contract offering. It does affect us all.</end quote></div>
I am a vested Teamster Member in good standing with a withdrawal card due to job loss. I understand unions and support them.
I personally don't refer to the contract negotiations as policital.
It effects me personally as it does others, I do hope this agreement puts them back to work.
Now it's SPEEAs turn [img][/img]</end quote></div>

I was wondering if the Big B would have the cahones to have two unions out on strike at the same time....Be interesting to see what happens. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Pro Rider

Good Morning PSAR

Old 10-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

Morning PSAR!

Old 10-28-2008, 10:31 AM
"One Wheel Short"
slow day around the orafice I see!

good morning PSAR!

what a great day [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2008, 11:17 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

good mornin everyone

Old 10-28-2008, 03:27 PM
Pro Rider
Can't wait to feel that 130 HP at the dunes.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just had a change of plans for our Sandlake trip next week. Switched to Florence. Still going to Spinreel for turkey.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:49 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Being retired is a hoot!

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: LdyJay
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HappaRap
<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: maggiesboy The tentative agreement has the unanimous endorsement of the IAM negotiating committee and will be presented to members for a ratification vote, which will take place in 3-5 days. A simple majority is required to ratify the tentative agreement.</end quote></div>
There's a few hundred thousand folks that would have been more than happy to vote ya for the last agreement, but then they don't work for Boeing, they're in a unemployment line somewhere.
Good Luck with this agreement, hope ya'll get back to work.</end quote></div>
And the corporate reliance on the insecurity of their workforce has what has allowed such things as laying off 10,000 or 20,000 workers to cut costs and still pay their CEO's ridiculous bonuses even when they bankrupt the company.

OR taxpayers write a fat check to them so they can go on a $500,000 exclusive retreats even AFTER they've been declared "too big to fail".

This contract wasn't just about the money. The MOST important thing the union was asking for was worker security. They were asking for controls on the company outsourcing even more work, and the company wanted the union to agree to lay off 2000 employees. Funny how 1 or 2 of the upper management could be cut to compensate for the pay of all those employees.

And one last little thing before I jump down off my soapbox...Unions are important for everyone. Not just the members. When a union requires a company to pay a better wage, provide better benefits, and treat their workforce(which is why a company succeeds and grows)fairly and by a set of rules, it helps raise expectations of other companies to provide better pay and benefits.

Some will just say "go shop and spend your money and this will all be ok". When people aren't paid a living wage, and basic living expenses can't even be met by working a 40+hour week OR even with a couple jobs, there's no room to buy anything extra. Proof is in the pudding.

Labor Unions built this country and raised the middle class up to support this consumer economy. They have been attacked and vilified for far too long. They aren't appropriate for every situation, but look around and see how many people who are not union members, but are directly affected by the Boeing workforce not having their wage and benefits these last couple months and tell me it doesn't make a huge positive difference in our economy and a direct negative effect when they are not shopping, or even using basic services, going out to dinner, etc.

And there are two surefire ways to start a passionate argument with friends or family and that is to bring up religion or politics. I try to stay away from it and sometimes can't help it. Agree with me or not, I am stepping down from my soapbox now. Ya'll have a nice day.

And again, I hope the machinists get a good contract offering. It does affect us all.</end quote></div>

Don't worry about starting and argument on this, or other topics for that matter, as if these facts aren't brought to the fore from time to time folks tend to forget them.

I've been in various unions over the years and held a number of offices in them. Being a Union President is a lot of responsibility and a really thankless job but it sure gives you an insight into what companies/government agencies try to pull off.

We never had a union at the farm as the employees would always vote to stay non-union. Guess we treated them too well or something. Now that we are in the process of selling the majority of the property our folks will be joining the union the purchasers deal with now. They will still have their own retirement and health programs as what they presently have is superior to what the union had negotiated for. Five of our seven full time people will retire during the coming year but have agreed to work as consultants and trainers for the new owners.

Most places that have much in the way of a full time staff should have a union IMO. How well it works will depend almost totally on how involved the membership is and how willing they are to work at developing a fair and reasonable contract.

Just my opinion on all this. I could be wrong but seriously doubt it.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Have a great day PSAR.

Mike

Quick Reply: NEW Puget Sound/Seattle/Northwest area riders MEET HERE!!! thread