Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

NEW Puget Sound/Seattle/Northwest area riders MEET HERE!!! thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Preach it Brother!!! ;)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEW Puget Sound/Seattle/Northwest area riders MEET HERE!!! thread

Well, I wouldn't suggest anyone look to me for motor work any time soon.

Got the head back on, torqued down properly...lined up my carefully marked cams on the correct spots on the cam chain...dropped a stupid little dowel pin down under the valve bucket. Couldn't see it, couldn't reach it with zip tie, wire, or magnet. Had to take the head off to tip it upside down and shake it out. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]THANKFUL I didn't drop it down the cam chain shaft. Decided the slippery gloves that caused that bit o' fun had to come off at that point. Note to self: Be more careful with the dowel pins. Soooo, torque down the head again, line up my carefully marked cams on the appropriate spots on the cam chain.
Bolt down the cam brackets WITH THE TORQUE wrench to 7ft lbs and then proceed to check my valve clearances since they were in need of adjustment before the headgasket issue. Intake was perfect. Exhaust was quite a bit out and had to go up 3 sizes in shims. OK, this task is not really that hard as long as I followed the manual and finally clicked on how to read the chart. I have a shim kit with a variety of shims that was a really good investment. All this isn't too hard as long as I am careful and pay attention...Cool. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]
Soooooo, I am putting the exhaust cam bracket back on again WITH THE TORQUE WRENCH to 7ft lb, and the bolt at the front of the motor up by the coolant intake snaps loose and just turns. CHIT!!! Couldn't figure out how I could have broken it using the torque wrench?[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] Manage to get it out and the threads on the bolt are fine, but full of aluminum. The bolt hole was smooth, so the only thing I can think is that it looks like it got helicoiled and the helicoil broke loose? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]Carp. Not sure how else to explain the smooth bolt hole and the bolt wasn't cross threaded or damaged at all. Dunno<shrug>Guess it doesn't really matter either way. Now I gotta fix it.
Not the first time I have had to re-thread a bolt hole with helicoil, but now I get to pull that head again because I can't get to it to drill it with the head on the motor. Grrrr. Guess this is just a good reminder why I don't make my living as a mechanic. Bah.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:15 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

Anybody have snow yet? None here.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:23 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

Hang in there Jayna, you're doing a great job, chit does happen though, you'll get through this little setback [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

Jayna, You'll be an expert when your all done!

Old 12-17-2008, 12:37 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Preach it Brother!!! ;)

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: S250

Jayna, You'll be an expert when your all done!</end quote></div>

No kidding. Guess I am not afraid of top end work anymore. Geez. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Valve adjustments are nothing now either. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

bottom end, many, many more parts and I know I don't have the proper tools, but hey, here's knocking on wood that I won't have to fuss with this one for a while yet.
Time to learn on MB's rig. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: HappaRap

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dirtmomma Got my drivers license cleared at work so I can officially do deliveries now [img][/img] only good thing about the day I swear if they don't get some new hires SOON I am going somewhere else on the plant!! </end quote></div>

Is DJ still working there?</end quote></div>

Yes he is [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] he doesn't do the same thing I do though but thinking about pulling him in haha

Old 12-17-2008, 06:45 AM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Dirtmomma Brought home 2 applications today for ME to fill out</end quote></div>

Are these for Boeing or another employer?</end quote></div>

They are for my company, if you want to move around in there you have to fill out a new app [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img] sounds silly to me but whatever [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2008, 06:49 AM
Elite Pro Rider
testing testing 123.

Anybody have snow yet? None here.</end quote></div>

Got a little up here, called my lead told her I may be in may not, our road doesn't look nice right now @ 2:50 am [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] WTH once I got all ready I looked out & went UGGGGGGGGGG just not going to take any chances, I'm sure it's icyer than a mothu out there still. So I will surf the web for an hour or so till the news comes on hahah

OH YEAH GOOD MORNING PSAR [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Lazy Boy Rider!

Good Morning PSAR

Snowing down this way, looks like it's gonna be a fun day driving out to Port Angeles [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Pirate Biker
Limping Rider!
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Good snowy mornin' PSAR

Quick Reply: NEW Puget Sound/Seattle/Northwest area riders MEET HERE!!! thread