Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Minnesota Riders

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minnesota Riders

Is there camping availiable there? thats a lot cheaper isnt it?

Old 02-25-2008, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider
Default Minnesota Riders

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Tapper1823

Thats pretty sweet. how do they like there ktm's?</end quote></div>

They like them a lot. Even though they got the 525XC's, they are still very capable for MX. I took Dave's for another test drive yesterday, and the triple-rate springs are obvious. It's a little bit more top-heavy than the YFZ, but both quads feel very similar to each other. On a standard jump, both feel the same. In whoops, the KTM feels firmer and a little more positive than the YFZ.

I would take one for sure, but for MX, the YFZ still wins bang for the buck I think. (XC is certainly a different story). Can't wait for KTM to come out with their MX quad.

Old 02-26-2008, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider
Default Minnesota Riders

<div class="FTQUOTE"><begin quote>Originally posted by: Speeddrive1

1. Sandhills resort

2. Stayed there two times and would stay there again

but you have to make reservations early cause they

fill up. Cost was 25-30 a night if I rember correctly.

The only down side to sandhills is that it is at the other end

of the dunes from the big stuff.

3. Fuel was about 350 each, there was 3 of us to split it.

Another hilight of the trip was riding around

west yellowstone for a day on the way out.</end quote></div>

Thx for the reply SD1...

25/30 a night is cheap, U were camping Right?? thay have elec/ hook up?? Shower?? & I would not mind @ all to be away from "The Big Stuff" give's us a little more ride time [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Also that ride around yellowstone sound's like a blast, do you know what the trail name was that you were on??

Thx again...

Old 02-26-2008, 10:10 AM
Super Moderator
Toxic Ryder
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Minnesota Riders

Did you say 350 bucks each. That would be about 1050.00 bucks then for the whole trip.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:34 AM
Pro Rider
Default Minnesota Riders

That was for fuel, out and back. I have a crew cab dually with camper on it and pulled a 8.5X20 enclosed trailer.
camping was another 25 to 30 a night.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Minnesota Riders

Yes, there is washing machines and dryers, and indoor bathrooms/showers. Water and electric hookup too. Im not much of a camper, but even I did OK. They even had wifi up by the store. There are other campgrounds, which I think are first come first serve, but arent as nice as sand hills,...by a long shot. The 350 each, was just diesel fuel, theres camping, fuel for wheelers, food, and so on, on top of that.
I opened a thread, in the dune and desert photo area, and theres a pic of me and speeddrive on top, of Lions head Mountain, which is just outside of West Yellowstone, MT. Its right on the border of ID and MT.
Its not the easiest, getting info on trails in the area,and I think i deleted the bookmarks i had...Ill try to find them again, but this site is a good place to start
http://www.duneratt.com/
We also went on this trail, which could last a wholeday.http://www.atvidaho.net/BearGulch/BearGulch.htm, nice scenery, some nice flat tree farm riding, and some areas overlook some really neat canyons and rivers. Its also got that old railroad tunnel, which you drive the wheelers thru, thats about 1/3 mile long. The pics show lots of utes, but a sporty can easily make it.
Lionshead is another story...there was snow, and very narrow switchbacks, leading up and down the mountain. If you dont like heights ( like me), there were some intense overhangs. That trail would have been better on a 4x4, or at least something with reverse. It was rocky and snowy(mid June), and traction wasnt the greatest. If its wet, it probably isnt very doable on a sporty, too steep and tight, to make some of the corners. I wish we would have taken more photos, it really was awesome.
I think the trail was in national forest, and we got the trail map at the rangers station in west Yellowstone, parked in town, and drove the wheelers to the trail. Heres another link to some good pics of the area(not sure about the infaltible doll...must have dropped out of AE's backpack, lol).http://setiweb.ssl.berkeley.edu/~davea/yellowstone.php

Old 02-26-2008, 02:59 PM
Range Rover
Default Minnesota Riders

If you guys go there - I would like to come and help be your support vehicle....this is so awesome!

Old 02-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default Minnesota Riders

In yellowstone do they have restriction on 2-strokes? I know when i went there in the winter they only allowed 4 stroke snowmobiles.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:21 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Minnesota Riders

ATVs arent allowed in yellowstone, we rode in Gallitin National forest, which surrounds yellowstone.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:44 PM
Pro Rider
Default Minnesota Riders

HB, SD1 thx much for all the great info & links, I wont ask about the doll [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Minnesota Riders