Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Ocottillo Wells ride with pics...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:09 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ocottillo Wells ride with pics...

My wife Jaime and I met up with Wayne (aka Reconranger), his family and friends for camping and riding in Ocotillo Wells.

Jaime and I rode on Saturday and did a 40 mile ride, with several quads a couple dirt bikes, a jeep and a sandrail. We rode to the gas domes, shelf reef and the pumkin patch. We didn't stay the second night because the wind was no fun while in camp, although it kept the dust out of our faces while riding.

This is not going to be the most exicitng ride report or photos because there is not much out there to report about. This place is basically alot of sand and dirt, no vegetation. (someone joked that this is where they filmed the Moon landing, hahah)

This is our base camp, very windy

Rob (aka Mr. Glamis) reluctlantly changes out the paddles on his daughters quad for dirt tires

Wayne told us to wait while he hit this sand hill on our way to the gas domes, I led the way up after he was out of sight followed by Alvin on his YFZ450 and Dennis in his sandrail.

Alvin and Dennis about to cross paths on the way down

I follow Karen (Wayne's girlfriend) back down after getting stuck in the deep sand on the other side (paddles definately help in the deep sand).

The Gas Domes??? yeah not very exciting....

Mars or the Moon? Well you can see the Salton Sea in the back ground so yes, it's Ocotillo Wells

Wayne (aka Reconranger) wheeling up a ridge across from Shelf Reef with others coming up behind.

Denis prepares for a run up Shelf Reef.

Dennis makes it up to the top of Shelf Reef.

Dennis prepares for the steep drop off down.

His passengers sounded like they were on a roller coaster at this point

I look on from a ridge across the canyon as Alvin comes back down from his first attemp, he does make it his next try.

I had some fun riding these burms that we came across often throughout our ride.

The Pumkin Patch, more interesting than the Gas Domes.

My beautiful wife poses on a rock type deposit thingy in the Pumkin Patch

Thank you to Wayne (Reconranger), his girl Karen, Rob (for the best margaritas in history), Dennis and everybody else for the good time and fun ride...

Old 04-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Trailblazer

WOW...great pics! That place looks like the surface of Mars. Seems like a lot of dust...where exactly is Ocottillo Wells?

Old 04-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Trailblazer

Ocotillo Wells is in Southern California about an hour and a half north of Mexico and an hour and a half south of Palm Springs in the Anza-Borrego Desert.

Here is a link: http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=1217

Old 04-08-2008, 03:01 AM
Trailblazer

Nice pics... Looks like an amazing place to explore.... Cool helmet also... What brand is that??

Glad to see your wifes rides as well.... Truly a treasure when they do ride and enjoy it also..

Nick...

Old 04-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks, my wife had a blast on this ride, we had a great group of people....the helmet is a Shoei.

Jim

Old 04-08-2008, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

good times...pumpkin patch trails are so fun to ride. was thinking the same thing nick about the helmet. that thing is simple and sweet.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

Great looking pictures!! I wouldn't know how to act in a place like that. All narrow trails, hills, and hollers here.