Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Iowa Trail Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2000, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard about a trail running through Waterloo, Iowa. I'm also positive there is one cause i saw a guy out doing some serious riding, on what looked to be a Honda 300EX of some sort, from my car. Unless he was drunk or really knew what he was doing, i would like to know if anyone out there knows of the rules and regulations for this trail. I also would like to know if ATC's are alowed on this trail. I have a Honda 200s, its not much of a racer type but it can keep up with my Foreman 450ES.

If you don't know much about the rules and regs but know where i can find out or who i can contact plz let me know

200s

ATC200S
TRX450ES

Old 01-11-2000, 05:40 PM
Range Rover

I race in Waterloo, but I'm don't know about the trail there. Maybe give the local DNR office a call and see if they have any info and/or maps available. If you get a chance come down and watch the races, I'm #80 say hi if you do watch ever and I'm there. I have yet to ride there (I'm pretty busy working full time at Rockwell and taking 2 classes so I don't ride much other than racing right now) but I have heard of a place outside of Cedar Rapids called 700 acres, maybe you should ask people at a local dealership if they know anything about either area.

Good Luck,

Sickman

Old 01-11-2000, 08:36 PM
Weekend Warrior

Oh k, well where do you race at down there? I never knew there was a race track down there. I'll probably talk to the guys down there and see what i can find out.

200s

Old 01-11-2000, 11:30 PM
Pro Rider

Sickman, what bike do you race? MX or Flat track? 250R?

Old 01-12-2000, 02:42 PM
Range Rover

I race MX on a 250R , I won District 22 and Hawkeye Downs Season Championships. I have done flattrack, and even the STP shootout on my 300EX I used to ride. Even though I never raced TT before and I just got out of my cast for a broken wrist and was against 250R's who were nothing but TT racers (I wasn't lowered or nothing) I finished 5th in the second semi-main. I actually should have been in the finals, but somebody hit me and tangled us up for a bit.

The track at Waterloo is at the fairgrounds. Hawkeye Downs is in Cedar Rapids. Hawkeye Downs is actually a supercross track (85 ft triple, huge doubles, etc.), only I and a couple pro's actually did all the jumps on quads. Even if you don't race it's cool to see. Even my new boss mentioned he watched once last season and was more impressed with the quads doing the jumps than the bikes.

Maybe I'll you guys out there sometime.

Hey Hakmazter, do you know John Gland, he's from Des Moines and races the National GNC's. He raced at Hawkeye Downs me, and he took me to Red Bud last year. Anyway he's the president of the off-road riders club, so I'm wondering if you knew him well or not, I guess I figure you have possibly ridden with him in the area.

Anyway keep in touch,

Sickman

PS: If you know of somebody looking for a superclean 88 250R with everything on it (All the parts are less than a year old, only stock part is the frame and steering stem!!!) I may have mine for sale in a month or so cause a friend of mine is selling a Laeger and I'm going to maybe get that. Let me know.

Old 01-13-2000, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider

Sickman, Please tell me when you are racing at Hawkeye again. Preferably with some notice. Do they have a class for 400ex and or for someone who is 30? I always wanted to try racing, but never had a good enough bike. For sure I will come and watch and wish I could try it. I always wanted to try the Quad wars thing until I went and realized it is a weak production. I know of your buddy, but I have never ridden with him. There are a ton of people around here who intermix riding, but I have only ridden with 10 different people. One of which is my neighbor. He goes to Rathbun and all over hell with at least 15 other guys. He is probably one of them. It is a shame you don't want to rise outside of racing, but I understand, All of my friends think I am a loser because I won't ride if it might be muddy. Anyway, 20 or so Iowans are going to Little Sahara Feb 25-28. What will you want for the R and what does it have for parts? I know at least 2 people who would be interested.

Old 01-13-2000, 01:58 PM
Range Rover

Hey Hakmazter, Don't get me wrong, I love to ride, Thats all I used to do, I only raced MX one season now, but I found out I'm really good at it and I like it alot also. The reason I am not going to ride for a bit now is to keep from damaging my quad since I may sell it.

I went duning a few years ago at Little Sahara in Utah with my 300EX I used to ride. It was fun, But I want to do it again sometime with my R.

If you want to try a trip (OR ANYBODY OUT THERE), you should go to Rapid City, South Dakota sometime (I attend college there). They have the Black Hills which is full of really neat riding, fire roads, and trails (The trails really aren't marked though because nothing really says the forest is open to riding, but they allow it because so far the riders respect the land), and the people that live out there are really friendly. Its actually the only open forest in the country, if its Black Hills National Forest, not private property or there isn't a gate over the fire road, you can most likely ride. Also if its legal to ride in an area, you don't have to stay on the trails, they actually rather you don't ride on trails (Which is why there are no markings on trails, so it would be a good idea to have GPS if you don't know with the area) If there isn't a trail formed due to everybody riding in different places, then no erosion or damage occurs to the land. Also there is a riding area in the Badlands called Farmingdale, which is neat to try. A group of 8 quads from here went with me last year and they all loved it and all of them want to go back. We actually rode 100 miles each day we were there (One day in the Badlands, and one in the hills). I'm actually of thinking about going out there during the Sturgis Rally this year. I'll let you know when we go again if you would like to go sometime, I have friends that know the area well.

As far as race classes, Hawkeye Downs has Quad B & Quad A classes. You ride a 400EX don't you? If thats the case you'd probably do alright in the B class because there are even Blasters, 250/300EX's, 250R's, 400EX's, and Banshee's. There are a good amount of highly modified ones, but if you just try it to have fun, that's all that matters.

As far as my quad, it's an 88 250R (Blue Frame & a-arms, white plastic-f&r, red tank and nose cone) with everything;
Professionally Gusseted and painted by a Pro National Racer (Beggining of last summer), New Lonestar swing-arm, New Lonestar +2 a-arms, Twin Row Bearing Carrier, Full Skid Plates, Nerfs, Grab-bar, Mudscreen Bumber, Renthal Bars, Aluminum Radiator Air Scoops, New Stock Honda Plastic, Dura Blue Adjustible Axle, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, New Chrome Bodied, Fully Adjustible width Reservior Last Rebel Pro-shocks with extra Thick Shafts (Front & Rear), Rear Champion Beadlocks with inner reinforcing ring with Turf Tamers, Front Red Label Douglas with Rikens, Anti-Fade Axle Lock Nut, and All brake rotors and calipers are stock, but in excellent shape. Everything on this quad is less than a year old, I personally have owned it for a little over a year, and I bought it from a friend who just let it sit for 4 years, and he bought it from a dune rider, so this thing has never been overly abused.

As far as the engine, its got a Last Rebel 330, but I may keep that and put the 250 from the Leagers I'm hoping to get in it. But it's a full Curtis Sparks 250, so its very fast also. I'm maybe going to start at $6,500 for everything. May sound high, but once somebody sees this thing (Its immaculate) and think about what kind of money is in it (Way more than $6,500, I really don't want to think about it, but it's at or more than $10,000) They will realize that it's really not bad. I really don't want to sell it, but If I get something else I just can't afford 2 quads worth that much.

Another option is if somebody has a 250R with a good motor and/or plastic but needs help in other areas, I will consider offers for just the Rolling Chassis, Parts I wouldn't mind keeping if possible are the engine, plastic, and tires and wheels, thus lowering the price according. Let me know!!!

P.S. Like I said I'm not totally sure if its for sale yet, if I don't get the Laeger's I'm keeping it, but this way if somebody was considereing getting a quad (or just an entire rolling chassis) ready to ride, race, whatever, and I do end up with the other quad, hopefully I can sell this one quicker. I know it won't be hard, because I did tell Mumms The Word racing about it and he told me he knows people looking for one like mine and it will sell for what I'm asking fairly easy.

Sickman

[This message has been edited by Sickman (edited 01-13-2000).]

Old 01-18-2000, 11:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey found out some stuff from the guys down at jay jay's.

Apparently (sp), they didn't know of a trail that runs through waterloo. But they told me of a place called the sand pits. I've never heard of it. I forgot to ask for directions =). But if you guys know about it you think you can help me out thx =).

200s

Old 01-22-2000, 07:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sickman what is your name and what class did you race in at hawkeye downs did you know they changed the track and it sucks, and they found out it was to hard for less experianced riders and now they are going to change it again.