Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Don't ride alone!! Very unsafe! Read here

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Every one will have batteries....tis the season..but at what price? Even Wallyworld has a good supply but none are on sale! If I get 4 yrs out of a battery I just go ahead and buy a new one when sales are going like summer time. I also have the boat batteries stored in my heated garage so if a jump is needed I just use one of those. Learned many years back to always be prepared. When we built this house I did everything I could think of to be prepared. I also have outside outlets incase outdoor power is needed. Years back I froze my butt many times trying to overcome my lack of being prepared! My buggy battery is 3 yrs+ in age but it fired right up at -15 ... will watch for sale prices this summer for a replacement to have on hand before next winter.

Old 01-31-2019, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What i should do, before every winter, is to get into a routine and schedule my oil changes then with a liter oil. It is recommended, but I haven't had a problem with hard starting like this, in a very long time! If this global worming gets any warmer, we'll all freeze to death lol

Old 02-01-2019, 12:11 AM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My truck told me to change the oil a few days ago but I couldn't do it that day and haven't been able to start it since. So I need an oil change, a truck battery, and an ATV battery. Plus the batteries died in my kitchen timer yesterday. I couldn't believe it. It wasn't cold in the house but they just gave up. Everything was happening at the same time. I got a bunch of free AA batteries from Harbor Freight so it wasn't a problem. I popped a couple in and it's good to go. I saw an AGM battery for the quad at amazon for $69.50 or something like that a couple of days ago. It got good reviews but I need to measure my battery to make sure it's the right size, and I don't want to go out any more than I have to when it's this cold. And the post office said F.U. Michigan. It's too cold and you're not getting any mail.

Old 02-01-2019, 09:00 AM
Pro Rider

Check tha amps on any battery you buy to be sure the capacity is equal to or greater than the original. Many "on sale" batteries are a lower amp rating. You know the old saying...when it rains, it pours! Been there many times....it never seems to happen with good luck though!

Old 02-01-2019, 09:31 AM
Pro Rider

Looked up battery reviews, and many buyers boast of 7-10 yr reliability. This brand seems one of the best!
Part Number:75-25Weight:33.01lbsWarranty:3 yearsNotes:Enter your vehicle information above to see product notes.Application:AutomobileBattery Group Size Designation:75Battery Height:186 mm - 7 5/16 inBattery Length:230 mm - 9 1/16 inBattery Standard Group:Battery Council International (BCI)Battery Voltage:12Battery Width:180 mm - 7 1/16 inCold Cranking Amps (CCA):720Core Charge Applicable:YesCranking Amps (CA):910Positive Terminal Side:LeftPost Location:Top & Side PostReserve Capacity (min):90

I've always considered CCA, but after doing a little research, that's not the only thing that's important, when trying to find a solid long lasting battery, like charging time, durability/bouncing around, different posts/location/some without? cold/hot temps where some are not designed for extremely cold weather etc

Old 02-01-2019, 11:58 AM
Pro Rider

You can get carried away buying batteries, if you have high amp draws like a booming sterio system or operating a winch or snow plow then a premium battery might be in order. But for general battery use in a vehicle that gets driven every few days a decent quality will last 4-5years or more. I generally use Wallyworld batteries with good sucess. Also used batteries from Menards,had issues in MH but they replaced them without an issue. CCA is to have enough power for a good long crank under extreme conditions. Unless your doing lots of extra work with that battery your spending big bucks for not much gain. Your atv is another story...that little battery is ask to do a lot when night riding or winching. Surprised at how many people by the cheapest battery they can for their utv and the best battery they for their car when it isnt needed. I did get almost 8 years on a boat battery one time, I used it until she was dead, but...on my boat I have two batteries and a switch to change between the two or connect both together if both are low. I dont have that feature on my utv or my truck, so there I do what is necessary to keep a battery in good condition. Just think...which vehicle would cause the biggest concern if the battery left you stranded some where you normally go. You can easily get a jump on your car if needed but out in the woods or miles from shore??

Old 02-01-2019, 12:38 PM
Pro Rider

Well I might have lucked out....at least this time around, and as far as what caused originally running battery down, so quickly, i'm sure was the oil was so thick, causing the drawing battery down so fast. Lesson learned!
Just took wife to Meijer and van started without hesitation....phew! good feeling, and to be able to get back outside w/ sun shinning brightly! Beautiful day! Theses past few cold day made it seem like it lasted for weeks lol
Here's the post cleaner/scraper I've used since my dad had one way/way back when lol I just misplaced mine that I've had forever, they never need replacing, stay sharp, The best thing about this style over brushes is the m/f scrapers match the same angle of one another, and then will create the perfect fit/angle between battery post and connector clamp. This does wear down both parts faster, so I don't grind so hard, just enough so you see a perfect flat and fully remove imperfections and crud.

Old 02-01-2019, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Most auto stores can do a test on your battery to see if it can handle a heavy draw. If not, you had your warning, time to replace it b4 you get stranded. If it passes your good for a while yet . The tests are usually free. You mentioned thick oil...what weight oil do you use? My daughters car uses a 5w-30 same as mine and hers started right up at -35. Most vehicles made after 2000 use a 5w- something oil which does not get real thick. I couldnt believe how easy my buggy fired up at -20...I hope it continues to be a good machine!

Old 02-01-2019, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

My KQ should have started a lot easier, where it almost drained the battery before finally starting! There's no choke which would have helped! There is a choke on everything else I've owned! I just order 3 maintainer, trickle chargers for the 2 vans and quad, that are only $6 ea and they suggest leaving them charging all winter long, along with liter oil.... you all will be asking me for a jump lol na-na, na-na, boo-boo!

Old 02-01-2019, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

You have EFI. .no choke needed, the computor reads the temp and controls the fuel flow. Never push on throttle ahead of starting, let the electronic controls do there job. On my machine there is a small buzzer when the key is turned to run, after a few seconds the buzzer stops and the key is turned to start. This gives the efi a chance to read temps and regulate the fuel flow. Even in -15 it starts right up with 5w-40 full syn oil. You might try turning key on then hesitate a few seconds before starting and see if that helps. Yes the battery tenders work great, I use mine when plowing and deep cold season is here.

Quick Reply: Don't ride alone!! Very unsafe! Read here