Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Don't ride alone!! Very unsafe! Read here

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

You city slicker is tryin to fool us country folk again with this takk of a foot of snow. .you soeak with forked tongue!! 44 degress here now, my snow is almost gone and the sump pump is running overtime. Your not gonna like that buggy in the pic, to hard to find parts and they have had electrical issues. Gonna keep up the snow dance in hopes of more snow to come....

Old 01-23-2019, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally Posted by MooseHenden
I had snapped my winch cable plowing just before I would have had it all finished. Waited a day because it was 2 degrees on Monday. Weather guessers said it would be mid-20's yesterday so I went out after lunch to work on it. It was more like 10 degrees and I had to take my gloves off for a couple things. Didn't take too long but my hands were throbbing by the time I got done. Ran in the house to warm up my hands. Tips of my fingers were kind of bluish/purple. Man, I hate how it feels to thaw out your fingers after they go numb....
You might consider a synthetic cable, saw many cases of cable fray from winching so I replaced mine right away with a syn cable. Easy on the hands and doesnt twist up like steel cables. No regrets.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well what is a good buggy? My son is thinking of getting one, he weight nearly 300#'s so he needs something more his size?

Old 01-23-2019, 04:42 PM
Pro Rider

Is he looking for performance or utility? As a heavy Is he looking for performance or utility? As a big guy he will need a full size utv so his choices will be limited. His best bet is to go look and sit in them, some are more difficult to get in and out of. No matter what they tell him, go look up and see if parts and service is availiable for whatever machine he chooses. Some of the machines are getting a popular name, but parts can be hard to get your hands on. Also look at consumer complaints per 100 units made and that will tell him how reliable they are.

Old 01-23-2019, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

I cant seem to talk him out of utility task vehicles. what I've mentioned to him, from what is quite obvious is, if there is ever a roll over, down a hill, there's no aborting....your going for a ride or the ride is going with you, no other choices available! lol

Old 01-23-2019, 10:43 PM
THE BERMINATOR
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That 1/2" or whatever it was of snow didn't last long. The roof and hood of my truck were halfway cleared off by noon, and all of the snow was melted before I went anywhere, even the stubborn bit under the passenger side windshield wiper. The sun barely hits that area and only in the afternoon. My sidewalk was soaking wet. I could barely see a couple of slushy looking spots about 2" around but there were places it felt greasy when I walked on it.

No frozen hands yet this winter, but when I need to thaw them out I run warm water on them. I look at the ***** on the bathroom sink and know just how far to turn them, but sometimes I have it a little colder to start out with. It still hurts like heck no matter how you thaw your fingers, but warm water gets it over with a lot faster than sitting around suffering at room temperature. I have a pair of deerskin mittens with thick insulation that will thaw them out slowly, but can't remember the last time I wore them. I want my fingers warmed up as fast as possible.

Old 01-24-2019, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator
Well, golly JimBob!
Received 54 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Kymco 450i
You might consider a synthetic cable, saw many cases of cable fray from winching so I replaced mine right away with a syn cable. Easy on the hands and doesnt twist up like steel cables. No regrets.
Yep, I usually end up with synthetic rope after the first break or two. Last time I did the winch on my previous Outlander Max 650 XTP I got a section of winch rope that was the next size up. I ran the 3/16" up inside the larger rope like a Chinese finger trap and it worked great and without a single issue. Just ordered some new rope today. I think I have a hunk of the larger rope out there too. Will wait for spring unless it breaks between now and then.

Only reason I froze my fingers is I was using lightly insulated gloves because I needed to feel what I was doing. Had to take them off for a couple parts and that's when they turned purple/blue. And I ran them under warm water.... Yes, it still hurts. I don't like feeling my heartbeat in my fingertips.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:47 PM
Pro Rider

I hear ya. .some things just cant be done with gloves on! I have stuck my hands inside my shirt under my coat when they start to get numb. I have good gloves but you cant do any work with them on. When I replaced my winch cable I also went with a bigger dia, not for the strength but for better wear ability. So far no signs of any wear.

Old 01-24-2019, 05:15 PM
Pro Rider

Your both are doing it all wrong! Listen up!! All you need to do, is do like I do, you just get everything ready to use, like I did last fall, with even buying a new winch for the 4x4 plow, and while waiting for the snow, you never use the wench & cable lol Its all my fault for over buying these things, that has caused us to have no snow, and no need for wench or wench cable....I'm so sorry guys, maybe if I remove the plow off my ride, you'll all have a good reason for having cold hands, with tons of snow lol

Old 01-24-2019, 08:22 PM
Pro Rider

Go ahead and take off the plow and we will see what happens. Should know by tues or wed...next wed/thur they are calling for -15 - 20 below...what if our atvs are the only thing to start...would that be a reason to drive them on the road?? Wind chills of -35 degrees!!

Quick Reply: Don't ride alone!! Very unsafe! Read here