Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Royal Blue to start charging fees

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 09:53 AM
Pro Rider
Sound advice there. "Hey, watch this........"
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Tennessee WRA has decided to start charging access fees for use in the Royal Blue Wildlife Management Area. Annual fees of $50 for residents, $160 for out of state and daily fees of $10 and $25.

IMHO this is a good idea that's long overdue. While I've enjoyed riding for free I'd much rather pay a few bucks for a sticker and guarantee that the land is designated for ORV use then to listen to the tree hugger arguments of "they don't pay for it why should they ruin it" line of BS. It will be interesting to see how the money will be used and how much will actually stay right there in Royal Blue.

New fees are to start in August of this year.

Jaybee

Old 05-31-2002, 10:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Well thats fine,,BUT,,how ta hell did they come up w/160$ for out of state riders?!? Can anyone in Tennessee spell RIP-OFF?!? I don't mind trail fee's,but I have 2 boys that ride w/me and I figure that 480/yr or 75/day is just a tad on the abusive side.Just my oppinion [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-31-2002, 11:06 AM
Range Rover
Scared to death of girls!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

That does seem excessive for an out of state sticker. We've been to Coal creek twice in the last couple of months. The price there is 50.00 for the year. Alot of people down there asked us if we ever rode Royal Blue. I guess we will keep driving by it on the way to Coal Creek. Which is an AWESOME place to ride, by the way. It's well worth the 8 hour drive from Michigan.

Scott

Old 06-02-2002, 11:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

Gosh I hope this is not true. We rode Royal Blue back in February and had a good time. It is nice to ride right out of the Comfort Inn parking lot there in Caryville. While we don't mind paying fees to protect our riding areas from the greenies, those fees are ridiculous. They need to be more similar to Coal Creek or Hatfield-McCoy fees. Royal Blue needs a white knight like Windrock to come in and organize the situation - and keep fees more realistic. We live in Georgia and won't pay those fees. Hopefully the people at that WMA will get brain surgery before August.

Old 06-03-2002, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

Where exactly is Coal Creek? How many acres or miles of trails do Coal Creek and Royal Blue have?

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2002, 10:02 PM
Trailblazer

<< Where exactly is Coal Creek? How many acres or miles of trails do Coal Creek and Royal Blue have? >>

Coal Creek (Part of which is also known as Windrock) is located in East Tennessee. The nearest large town is Oak Ridge, which is about 6 or 7 miles from the main entrance of Coal Creek. Royal Blue borders Coal Creek to the northeast near Caryville (Just off I-75). Coal Creek has 72,000 acres and Royal Blue is over 50,000 acres with plans being made to add another 80,000 acres to it. There are literally hundreds of miles of trails within the two areas. Check out http://www.windrockatv.com/ for more info.

Old 06-04-2002, 12:02 AM
Pro Rider

I agree that the out of state $$$ is excessive. For one thing - Tennessee needs out of state money - why cut that out. In state/out of state fees should be the same.

I'm also wondering if other state WMA's will follow suit with their own fees or if the state will blanket cover the sticker price to insluce all state owned riding areas. Hopefully the second case.

Jaybee

Old 06-04-2002, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

<<

<< Where exactly is Coal Creek? How many acres or miles of trails do Coal Creek and Royal Blue have? >>

Coal Creek (Part of which is also known as Windrock) is located in East Tennessee. The nearest large town is Oak Ridge, which is about 6 or 7 miles from the main entrance of Coal Creek. Royal Blue borders Coal Creek to the northeast near Caryville (Just off I-75). Coal Creek has 72,000 acres and Royal Blue is over 50,000 acres with plans being made to add another 80,000 acres to it. There are literally hundreds of miles of trails within the two areas. Check out http://www.windrockatv.com/ for more info.
>>

Thanks for the info. I'm salivating at the thought of riding there!

Btw, the fee sounds pretty reasonable considering the amount of fun that could be had there. I'll be glad to pay it. Heck, a good amusement park will cost you at least 30 bucks a person per day, and it wouldn't be as fun.

Old 06-04-2002, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

Dan,

Thanks for putting the whole fee structure issue in perspective as Jaybee did earlier. I really wish there were more people on these forums that weren't afraid to 'tell it like it is' regarding this issue for fear of offending their 'buddy' on the net who 'rode that place his whole life and darn well aint gonna pay now for the privelege!'

Believe me, you guys are among the few that realize paying several thousand dollars for a decent machine and truck/trailer that is dependable enough to get you outstate and back home (let's forget maintaining your rig and the 'true' cost of any trip) are the 'real' costs of playing with your toys.

No matter how ridiculous these fees get...........it'll always be 'chump change' in the big picture of riding PRIMO ground.

Don't ever argue the above too loudly as you'll never convince those that want it all and still figure THEY should be consulted in setting any price to play...........

Let's wake up and truly 'pay' for the privelege of riding the greatest places on earth!

John

Note: This isn't to be taken that others might not agree or don't have the right to their own opinion. It simply points to certain issues (example:large I.D. #'s on quads; heavy fines for idiots that would ruin our sport; the fact that outstaters traditionally pay through the nose, etc. ) that far too many people don't have the guts to stand up for. Check out your local riding club sometime and observe those who 'don't have an opinion' on ANY issue (or not one they'd share in public).

Old 06-07-2002, 07:17 PM
Pro Rider

Well said, maniac.

Jaybee