Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Black river falls WS

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2002, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning an ATV trip to Wisconsin. We are looking for an area in a state forest that can accommodate a group of 15-20 people with RV's and tents.

We were thinking about black river falls. Can someone tell me about this area or some other place you could suggest which is 3 hours or less from the twin cities. Thanks

Old 08-10-2002, 10:20 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Black River Falls is ok, good campground,and trail access from your campsite, and the lake is good for swimming,just have to get used the the coffee colored water (tannic acid from oak and pine trees,harmless). The trails are mostly snowmobile trails, long,with few curves,most of the side trails are blocked off.In short,nice area,boring trails,one or two trips,and you've seen it all. Iron River,up north on Hwy 2,is much better,been going there for years,good campsites,I always stayed at Tri Lake Timbers,just a couple miles west of Iron River,trail access,lots of fire roads, well marked trails, great scenery,lots of side trails,varied terrain. You can even stay at a hotel in town and access the trail from your parking lot,no trailers!! A little farther west is Hurley,haven't checked it out yet,but have heard a lot of good things about the area. The most fun part of Iron River is the Open 26,a play area about 9 miles from the camp,almost 30 acres of sand hills,moto tracks, and fun trails to play on. So it depends,if you want long,easy trails with little variation,Black River, more wilderness,rougher trails (more fun) Iron River. I hope this is some help.

Old 08-10-2002, 10:59 AM
Range Rover

Black River Falls is a great place to ride. But you also need to know about Clark County which is next to Black River. Have been riding this system for about 10 years. This last year Clark County added some more trails. They have a good map of the system and trails are well marked. We usually leave out from Hatfield, but have also left from Fairchild or parking lot a Hwy 10. Trails are throught woods, back fire roads and back country roads. Can take trails and roads into towns. Good place to eat and get gas is at Rock Dam.

Thinking about going back up in September. Always go in June.

Good riding.

Old 08-14-2002, 12:46 AM
Range Rover

I hunt in this area and know the trails in the area well. We stay at Pine Haven Resort in hatfield.... you'd have enough room for 15 in their cabins and you have access to Clark co. trails.... I 1 mile trailer trip and you can hop on the Jackson co trails which are less road and more trail.... Clark has quite a few gravel roads you have to run which are ok for top speed runs, but that's about it!

Rock dam is the best gas point on the clark side.... on Jackson, I believe either Black River or Pray (depending on where you start, near hatfied or BRF) would be the spot to gas up