Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Ride in WI, 3 hours from Twin Cities?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 12:24 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard mixed reviews about Black River Falls atv area. Any ideas? We will be traveling in a large group with RV's.

Old 09-13-2002, 04:53 AM
Trailblazer

I have never personaly been on the BRF trails but I ride with a group that has. They went there for a couple of years in a row and then discovered the Clark County trails just north of there and have not been back to BRF since. A very nice camp ground in that area is West Arbutus Lake in Merrillan. I beleive you need reservations to camp there though. The number to call is 715-333-5832. There is also a camp ground in Rock Dam. I don't know much about that one though. Both camp grounds are basically on the trails.

Old 09-13-2002, 07:47 AM
Pro Rider

Not sure how far extreme N. WI. is from St. Paul; but just got back from there Mon.

If the rest of WI. trails have remote scenic vistas, fantastic waterfalls and more than a little history; I'd 'stick south' and not bother visiting this northern wilderness area.

I've only rode trails that are along the WI./MI. border area and are unfamiliar with the trails that are easily accessible to 'big city' (Chicago) riders.

Not much help, I know,

John

Old 09-13-2002, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider
Your friend needs to stop smoking whatever it is that is rotting his brain!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Schtick-
Have you ever been to Iron River? about 45 miles east of Duluth on Hwy 2,you can stay in town,access the trail from the parking lots(no trailers!!) or go a couple miles east,road 242 leads to Tri Lake Timbers campground, they have cabins,campsites,and trail access to a great forest area,and a place called Open 26, big sand hills and track area. The Valhalla trail goes by a gas station/bar and grill,and the rest of the trail has everything you could want-flat roads for all out speed,narrow twistys, hills, great scenery. My son and I love it there,have gone the last 3 years.

Old 09-13-2002, 04:42 PM
Range Rover

Have been going to BRF and Clark County for 10 years. We have always camped around BRF and the trailered to Clark County. The trail systems are different. BRF is all sandy trails through State or County Forests. About 95 miles of trails. Clark County has sandy trails and county roads and paved roads in its trail systems. Clark County has about 150 to 200 miles of trails. We usually spend a week in June or July around this area. Usually 2 riding days at BRF and 5 ridings days in Clark County. Both systems are worth the trip. With your RV's there is a campgroung right by the Interstate that has electricity, water, hot showers, swimming pool, and you can ride to food, gas, and BRF trails from campsite.

Old 09-15-2002, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

I like the Birchwood area personaly. Have some decent mudding on the trails. Just got back from Bayfield county (Iron River) area and the Open 26 play area hill climbing. It was decent riding main challange was washouts on the trails. Steep hill sign = big washout.

Old 09-28-2002, 12:39 AM
Weekend Warrior

We might be heading up to Wisconsin mid Oct, We have never ridden in Wis before were comming from northern Indiana. Where do you guys recomend? We ride CR250's we looking for very high hills, plenty of woods and if you throw in some stream crossings we would be happy.Can you guys give us somr ideas? Thanks Tom...

Trending Topics

Old 09-30-2002, 12:42 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks to all that responded. We are going to try the Clark County trails. We did a test ride about two weeks ago and the trails seem to be a lot of fun. We only did about a 45 mile loop (we did not make it to the "intensive" area's). Most of us have now purchased rack mounted gas tanks for the ride!!!

Thanks to all that responded. I will post an update after our ride.

Schtick...

Old 09-30-2002, 07:08 PM
Trailblazer

CR250, head up to Hurley. As far as I've seen they have the most stream crossings and hills. Its mostly hard pack, not much sand. Plus you can't beat the scenery.

Steve

Old 09-30-2002, 10:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Is Hurley an actual ORV riding area? or do you know if there is a web site? thanks CR250

Quick Reply: Ride in WI, 3 hours from Twin Cities?