Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Marquette area trails in U.P. of Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2002, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marquette area trails in U.P. of Michigan

Actually,
the TRUTH usually has two sides!RAdDAD told us guys[I was actually there for this Poker Run]HIS side of the story on what happened when he and his buddie received these tickets.Than when a complete investagation was promted into the matter to get these two guys their ticket $$ back,it was later found that these two out of State riders were INDEED in violation of Michigan ORV laws.At first,I really felt bad for these two guys until I found out what REALLY promted the tickets?They were operating left of center and got what they deserved,a fine!

I was there in the TEQ hotel for the meeting that RadDad refers too.There were NO MATVA officers there,though there were a few members of MATVA present,including me.

Allmost every member of MATVA would give you the shirt off their own backs,I dont think RadDad is justified with his comment ''SCREW THE MATVA''-----It was not MATVA that got him and his buddie their tickets,it was their own fault and to pawn that situation off on MATVA and its membership for not knowing the laws in our own State, just shows your lack of credability on anything you may say about MATVA/members.

One thing I do know!If not for MATVA members/riders/participants,---I'd surly be ''SCREWED''I dont like riding by myself.

Bill

Old 10-18-2002, 12:58 AM
Weekend Warrior

All true, about where we were riding...
The DNR officer told us that it didn't matter if we were on the road, off the road, in front yards, 2 wheels on and 2 wheels off the road, its all ILLEGAL in that county. We could not leave the Motel parking lot legally to get to any trail. As far as being across centerline...How do you leave a parking lot, cross the road, and ride with out being left of center...
The DNR told us they were setting the tone. The entire ride was illegal. I do respect what the MIATVA are trying to do. I don't want to un-knowingly be the pawn in the battle. Tell me what is going on and I will help. Don't use me then say "OH those guys from Indiana got what they deserved!
Keep on fighting!(just let me know when I am in the fight)

Old 10-20-2002, 11:25 AM
TQO
Trailblazer

I saw Jeff @ Bass Pro Shops yesterday and he told me about this little battle. Let me set a few things straight.

1. The event that the Hoosiers and others were ticketed during was put on by me. I own the Tahquamenon Hotel in Hulbert. MATVA was not associated with the event other than some of the members participated. MATVA members have promoted the event, but MATVA has not promoted it as a whole.

2. I called the DNR prior to the event the previous year. They told me they were honoring all local ordinances. This included Hulbert Twp., Chippewa Twp. (Strongs area), and Trout Lake Twp. Obviously, the officer writing the tickets was not honoring the ordinances.

3. EVERYBODY THAT GOT A TICKET THAT WEEKEND WOULD HAVE RECEIVED A TICKET IF THE COUNTY ORDINANCE WERE IN EFFECT. Riding left of center is illegal, period.

4. The county ordinance is now in effect and the areas that we ride are open. There are many more regulations than you will ever find out by calling the DNR or MATVA. We ran into other problems last year, but not regarding riding areas. If any person has an organized ride with 20 or more people, they must have a land use permit. So from now on, we do not and and will not have an organized ride. This includes handing out the maps.

5. I can't believe you guys from Indiana are still that miserable 1 1/2 years later. Especially when you really didn't tell the whole story and I jumped through hoops to have your tickets reviewed. I also worked it out with the DNR to continue the event, even though we had people blantantly breaking the ORV laws (IE: Hoosiers and others alike).

Regarding the Marquette area.

This county is not open to ATV riding on county roads. The proposal was soundly defeated by the sheriff. There are tons of areas to ride up there, but if you ride the county roads, your are taking a chance.

Just like riding left of center.

Rich
Tahquamenon Hotel
Hulbert, MI
tqoutfitters.com

Old 10-21-2002, 08:08 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Rich,
I took the liberty of taking out all the words that you didn't need in your reply. Your shortend version is even more impressive than your long version. I should never have recomended that anyone check with the DNR about local laws per your reply. The DNR doesn't know the laws.....(interesting)

1. The event _ticketed_ put on by me. _. MATVA was not associated _ members participated._ MATVA members promoted the event, _ MATVA has not promoted it .

2. I called the DNR _ honoring all local ordinances. __. Obviously, the officer writing the tickets was not honoring the ordinances.

3. _ WOULD HAVE RECEIVED A TICKET IF THE COUNTY ORDINANCE WERE IN EFFECT.
4. _ now in effect__. There are many more regulations than you will ever find out _ DNR or MATVA.__ ride with 20 or more people_ must have a land use permit. _ from now on, we do not and and will not have an organized ride._ includes handing out the maps.

5._ didn't tell the whole story_ we had people blantantly breaking the ORV laws .

Rich
Tahquamenon Hotel

Old 10-21-2002, 09:31 PM
Trailblazer

lets say i went to indiana to ride at the badlands, and instead of riding in the park, i rode around the outside of the park. would i get a ticket? if i did, could i blame it on people who live in indiana that ride atv's? could i blame on indiana's dnr? just a question before i come there to ride.... thanks

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Old 10-21-2002, 10:31 PM
Range Rover

RadDad,
As I kindly asked above:
"In the future please post accurate information for others. Whether it is good or bad doesn’t matter. Just accurate"
Why are you going out of your way to make yourself look bad, screw with someone else’s post and give others a very unrealistic view of Michigan and its riders? We have 3200 miles of trails. More than a lot of states will ever see. Hopefully anyone reading these posts will take the time to see that Michigan is an area worth riding.

I would like to know if it is LEGAL to ride left of the centerline on any road in the US? For those reading this. This was the ignorant riding that prompted the tickets. Not the location of where they were riding.

The problem Rich speaks of, one officer not honoring another’s laws is happening in every state. The local DNR's interpretation of the law may not always agree with the local law enforcement. And vise-versa. Local towns pass laws allowing riding and not everyone knows about it. If you run into this problem, simple treat the officer with respect and you will usually leave with a warning. And his views of the violation.

I certainly hope you will give Michigan trails another try in the future.

Jeff

Old 10-22-2002, 01:44 PM
Weekend Warrior

See you all on the trails.
Thanks!