Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Marquette area trails in U.P. of Michigan

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2002, 01:46 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marquette area trails in U.P. of Michigan

I went riding this weekend with a small group up in Marquette, Michigan. It was me on my 400ex, my dad on his 300ex, and two others, one on a Polaris 400 Sport, and his brother on a Yamaha Beartracker. I have to tell you, the trails in that area are awesome! We only went riding for about 3 hours, but we saw some very scenic areas, and it was a very fun time. Let's put it this way, I hate getting wet, and muddy conditions, and it rained, no, DOWNPOURED for all but 1/2 hour of riding, and it was still a great time. If we would have gotten started earlier, like 7am, we would have been in unbeatable, dustless, mudless waterless conditions...but since we started at 11:00, we got about 20 minutes into the ride before we got wet. We saw three different lakes, a couple rivers, some waterfalls, 2 mountains, a couple gravel pits, and those were just the highlights! I can't wait to go back next spring/summer when the trails are a bit drier and the weather is a bit warmer. We had rain gear on from head to toe, but we still got soaked, and towards the end, the wind started to freeze us out. If I had been drier, I probably would have loved to go another 3 hours...but I was simply wore out from the cold and wet. I can't wait to go back again, but the guy we went with has been riding there for years, and he knows the trails well. I'm interested in going back armed with a map of some of the larger main trails so we have some clue where we're going. Does anybody know where I should look to first for an up to date trail map?

Old 10-14-2002, 09:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Post this question to someone in the Mich ATV Assoc,someone will help you.

miatvassoc.com and than go to ''trail talk''

I would LOVE to ride this part of the U.P next yr,as would many of our MATVA members.Keep us posted,we may run into you?

Bill G.

Old 10-15-2002, 12:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

SCREW THE MATVA! The Michigan DNR is who you want your info. from. Go to their WEB site. They will Email you 3 maps at a time or you can get ALL of the trail maps home mailed to you/.Also, there is no charge for this service.

Old 10-15-2002, 07:55 PM
Range Rover

I don't know what RadDad's problem is but MATVA is here to help.

You can find all of the ORV maps online at the DNR website if your good at searching or just click on MATVA Trail Talk and near the top is a link that will take you straight to the DNR ORV maps.

Since most of the snowmobile trails in the UP are used for ATV's in the summer, I would get a snowmobile map from one of the snowmobile clubs or most bars and restaurants in the UP.

Jeff

Old 10-15-2002, 10:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

RadDad,
Screw MATVA?
Pretty harsh words coming from someone who lives in Indianna?MATVA does'nt charge you a penny to get these maps either.No other club or website has brought Michigan ATVers closer together than MATVA.

I wonder where your bitterness comes from?

Bill

Old 10-16-2002, 07:54 AM
Range Rover

Cruiser, thanks for the direct link. That works great! I don't know if they have something like that set up for Wisconsin DNR, or other states for that matter, but they should! That was exactly what I wanted! Thanks again!

Old 10-16-2002, 08:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

fanke 19,
thanks for the kind words in regards to MATVA and their direct link.

Sorta puts an ending to ''SCREW THE MATVA''lol

Bill

Old 10-17-2002, 03:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I ride in Michigan all the time. I live 5 miles from the Indiana/Michigan border. Last year I rode in an event that was attended by many MATVA officers and members. To my surprise the maps that were given out to be followed were completely illegal routes for ATV travel. The MATVA apparently did not know the laws in their own state. Some of us were ticketed by the DNR and had to pay roadside fines of $100.00 cash or be taken in. The DNR sent a representative to our motel restuaurant to explain the illegalities of the entire event. All though the MATVA people were a bunch of great guys that I enjoyed riding with, I would never trust anything to do with "where to ride" info or maps...I will, and have got my legal info from the Michigan DNR office. there is NO question as to the accuracy of the info that way.

Old 10-17-2002, 04:37 PM
Trailblazer

RadDad:

With all due respect:

Watch what you say about the MATVA. Without these guys, in the future, you may not be riding an ATV in Michigan PERIOD. They are advocates for our sport in Michigan. Without MATVA, our sport has almost no representation or influence in our state government. Be reminded that there are several tree-hugger groups attempting to BAN atv's in our state all together. That would be a terrrible thing. I do agree that if you want accurate legal information, you should get it from the source (i.e. DNR). Furthermore, YOU have the final say where you DO and DON't ride. It is just as much your fault for getting in hot water with the DNR, even though someone else gave you the map and told you it's OK to ride there.

Also, their information on the web about where to ride is accurate, and ALL of the places they recommend ARE legal.

I am not a member of MATVA, but I plan to join. Anyone who rides in Michigan and enjoys the sport should consider it as well.

"Save a Tree, - Wipe your *** with an Owl"

Kevlar1
Michigan country boy, proud Polaris SP700 owner.

Old 10-17-2002, 06:46 PM
Range Rover

RadDad,

Now I can see where the bitterness is coming from. You are placing blame on the wrong people for your problems in Michigan. The event you are speaking of I believe was the poker run held in Hulbert, MI. Am I correct? Just to state only facts. MATVA was in no way connected with this event. Setting it up, over-seeing it's operation or supplying the maps used. Yes, MATVA members did attend as well as other riders. They to were there only as participants. This ride was organized and put on by the Teq. Hotel in Hulbert.

So as you can see, you are also passing on bad information just as you received.

I do believe I also heard something about riders riding left of center and getting deserved tickets.

In the future please post accurate information for others. Whether it be good or bad doesn’t matter. Just accurate.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Marquette area trails in U.P. of Michigan