Where to Ride Share info on your favorite riding spot or ask others where to ride.

Street Legal Quads?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 04:57 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Legal Quads?

Can someone tell me why the heck a moped is considered street legal but a quad aint? One of these days Im going to make a street legal quad regardless of these imbred hillbilly cops around here. I live in SC and for that matter I live in a small town too. So naturally these cops around here are kinda.....shall we say...."Deliverance"-ish. But some of them are cool, they let you slide when they catch you on the road. Sorry, I had to get that outta my system. Back to the subject. Can anyone tell me what you would have to do to get a quad approved for use on the open road? I heard about a kit for quads that give you turn signals and stuff, but I never found one. I also heard that you can drive quads on the road over in the UK or somewhere over there, but they are all decked out with road gear. Lucky brits...but anyways...you guys think I should go to the DOT or someone else...cuz I'm afraid that if I go there and ask, I'm going to get someone's opinion, and I dont want an opinion...I want facts about what I have to do. You know what I'm talkin about...some old lady gonna be like "No, you cant ride four-wheelers on the road!". How bout it...anyone got any info...I dont care if its just something you heard or if its something you know for a fact...I'd like to hear it either way.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2003, 06:38 AM
Trailblazer

Good Luck the answer I got FROM DMV was if the MFG deems and titles the vehicle as an off road vehicle there is no way dmv will let you reg it as a street legal vehicle no matter what mods youdo,now that's in NYS I don't know if other states are the same or different, but that's the load of garbage I got when I inquried.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-14-2003, 11:12 AM
Pro Rider

This subject come up quite a bit and a search will reveal a lot of info. The short story is that all states except Arizona and Wyoming are either extremely difficult or impossible to have a street legal ATV in. Wyoming is the easiset - heck, my Basnhee with toomey pipes is street legal here. I have a brake light, bicycle mirror and bicycle squeeze horn , insurance and registration and motorcycle driver's license and that's it. Wyoming even has a special drivers license endorsement just for ATVS.

I don't know how old you are but remember that you would need to be old enough to drive no matter what.

Give it up or move to WY or AZ. I haven't heard any confirmation from anybody that made a quad street legal in any other state without extreme modifications.

Old 02-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Range Rover

Yes, Im old enough to drive, Im 20. Anyways, Ive went through the SC laws I found online. They listed everything BUT ATVs. Even *$#@! golf carts and 3 wheeled motorcylces are legal. What Im thinkin is...take an old banshee or 400ex or something, and just trick the he!! out of the thing to where they dont know what the heck it it. I mean, if someone can make a kit car or dune buggy and get it legalized as a "special vehicle" or a "kit car" then I sure as heck aint gonna stop till I find a way to convince 'em. Sure it can be "based" on a four wheeler, but it wouldnt be something that is "made for off-road use" as they say. It wouldnt be a modified vehicle; it would be a whole new ride. There is ALWAYS a way to bend the law....always....man this whole situation just pisses me off. Even if I cant get the states approval, I more than confident that I can get the local law enforcement on my side...we already ride on the roads here, but 99% of the time they done bother us.

Old 02-15-2003, 07:28 AM
Trailblazer

Good thinking shows you got a great imagination go for it and let me know how you make out. I don't think it will fly in NY . They are way to **** retentive[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 02-15-2003, 12:42 PM
Range Rover

Thanks man, Im one of those guys that never stops wanting to build something. I got alot of research to do on this....I still gots to figure out just how Im supposed to change the way a four wheeler looks while still keepin it four wheeler-ish. I plan on takin some of those motorcycle and atv courses at one of the local tech schools and maybe a few by mail; Im hopin that they will help in case I run into some problems. Even if the law wont allow me to ride on the roads, Ill still build it, just to see if it can be done. One thing bugs me though, I always figured places like NY would allow alternate forms of transportation...like atvs...you would think they would be safer around city traffic....oh well....I dont expect these #!@$% lawmakers to understand the full potential of an atv...

Old 02-15-2003, 06:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'm from Iowa and its a no go here for street legal quads. I pled my case, about turn signals, speedo, horn, street tires, lights and brake lights. Its the same as a motorcycle, kinda. I can understand the reason for no 2strokes because of the emissions but 4strokes come on.

Old 02-15-2003, 06:47 PM
Range Rover

your best bet is to begin with something already deemed for use on the street. For example utilize an enduro which already has a title for street use. Look in October Dirtwheels, page12 (titled Street legal ATC)there's an XL650L enduro converted to what looks a hell of alot like the old 350X trike. It seems like it would be very simple to do, and you would utilize most of the components that deem that thing street legal.

Old 02-15-2003, 06:47 PM
Range Rover

I'm sorry that issue is October 2002, pg 12

Old 02-15-2003, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

If 3 wheel motorcycles are legal, I bet it wouldn't be that difficult to get an ATC street legal.

Quick Reply: Street Legal Quads?